DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday am- thoughts for the day.

Selling fear. As I listened to the speaker at last night's seminar, I realized he was selling fear. Of course, it is well known that the media is selling fear these days. Their audience is measured by clicks on articles, so a dramatic headline is needed. Every day there are many articles that either say Trump did a bad thing(read all about it) or Pelosi did a good thing(read all about it) or the world is in trouble(read all about it). Last night, I noticed that the speaker began by saying how the market was about to tip into recession. He used statistics to suggest "any minute". Can you afford to lose all your money???? I have a safe guaranteed investment. You don't have time to recoup the money you will lose in a down market. No time-fear selling. Well, the meal was good.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:50 am Friday am

It should be a nice day, at least until this afternoon. Then stormy weather is supposed to hit and last 24 hours. A good morning to get flower seeds planted. I like this journal. It does help me organize my time and achieve more frugal goals.

I went to a seminar last night with free dinner. The dinner was excellent. The seminar was the popular annuity index fund seminar. I may have been to this one before. However, it did get me thinking about investments.

Today, I intend to take another long walk. Then do outside whatever I can before the weather hits. This afternoon should be time to work in the house. I noticed something spilled or leaked in the refrigerator. So once the weather gets poor this afternoon, time to clean the refrigerator. Not a favorite job. Not nice to my knee. Also recycle a couple of thread bare towels and other mending.

Hubs finished the chili last night, so it is leftover pot roast for this evening. Easy cooking.

According to the weather, the front and squall lines should be done by late Saturday and Sunday should be clear and the temperatures nice and will likely remain dry for a few days. I would like to bleach the front concrete and get it pretty. That will take awhile. Also get more leaves collected. It is the season of falling leaves. Probably a lot more after this possible wind storm.
Dg not sure what kind of fridge you bought but my last two were the kind that has the freezer on the bottom. It makes a huge difference in my ability to clean and get things out of it. With the freezer on the top I had to sit in a chair to clean the bottom out and it was dangerous for me to lean over and get hings out of the veggie bins on the bottom when cooking I would loose my balance sometimes bending down.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Janet, Good point about the freezer on the bottom. I am trying to nurse this old thing through until after I get the rest of the stuff. It still works, so I can't just replace it yet.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday afternoon

The rain has finally started. During the dreary, pre-rain, I pulled weeds. The overcast made it cool and easier work. The morning glories got white flies and are mostly dead. I pulled the vines from one area. Last year, they crawled up the pine tree and made a show. There are still some up the tree that look good, so I am not sure which are good and which are not there. The ones on the fence are toast. Interestingly, the passion vines are unaffected. The garden can be mysterious.

I now get to devote myself to the housework. Kitchen, refrigerator and such. And watch the storms.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

The rains from the tropical storm were nice. The nearby tornado was not. We have a safe room and it got used.

Today will be my first day back out in the garden. I hope more things have sprouted. I have a bucket of crotons from the neighbor. I need to put the plants in my bucket and return hers today.

I have white flies and they have been rough on a couple of plants. I use neem oil and it seems to help for a short time, but then they return. Frustrating.

I asked for a statement from the doctor's office regarding a bill from them. I tried asking it over the telephone and the guy wouldn't answer my questions. He just repeated that I need to talk to my insurance company. The office manager apparently did look it up and so the cover letter with the bill is very helpful.

I did my stool sample this morning and will return it when I take hubs to the doctor on Tuesday. Do hubs today as well. He tends to be grumpy about it. He needs help doing it since he only has the use of one hand.

The ac has stayed off and no well water irrigation costs. I turn off the coffee pot after the coffee is made. It stays hot long enough for us to drink it. I also turn off the stove a few minutes from the end of cooking eggs. A penny saved here and there.

I went ahead and got the $2.99/lb roast beef. We still have about one meal of roast beef left. Hubs liked the combination of roast beef, beans and broccoli. It did make a pretty plate and was healthy. So we generally have bacon and eggs in ground beef excess fat for breakfast. Green salad with tomatoes for lunch and then a meat meal with vegetables for dinner. Last night was stir fry with fresh onions, mushrooms and green peppers. Coffee and water during the day. Tonight will be the last of the roast beef and beans. I may make a side of fresh onions, green peppers and other vegetables. The ground beef is cheaper than the roast beef when it is on sale at $1.79/lb, but a slow cooked roast really hits the spot sometimes.

Today, I need to pick up hubs prescriptions and go to the Walmart Market across the street. I may park at the market and walk to the drug store. The weather should be fine to do that. I may walk over to the grocery store across the street from the Market and put some foam egg cartons in their recycle bin. It is time for me to do more walking. I am excited to see the gym membership included in my insurance starting next year.

This week will be making space for the cabinets which are due to arrive the following week. Maybe plant some more seeds and rake leaves in the yard. Hubs doctor visit. I do have a seminar on insurance to go to on Thursday. A nice quiet week ahead.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am

Sunday was not extremely successful. I woke up ready to go and within a couple of hours, I was tired, sleepy. I did get to the store and pick up meds and drop off recycle foam, but just never could get into any serious project. Just easy stuff. Hubs had the last of the roast beef and beans. I chopped up fresh vegetables and stir fried them as a side. It was a good addition. Even after a couple of short naps during the day, I slept hard all night. Hope today is better.

I returned the bucket to my spinal problem neighbor after transferring the croton cuttings to my own bucket. She then took me on a tour of her yard and told me how annoyed she was with ...just about everything. I am assuming it is the pain she is in. She showed me her pinecone ginger which are in bloom right now. I asked her if she ever had used it as shampoo, She was unaware that it is also called shampoo ginger. She insisted I try it and she cut off a big bloom for me. I did squeeze it out, but I didn't need to shampoo my hair yesterday. Today I will try it.

A long piece of my passion vine has died. It ran along the top of the fence. I am sad. I must have disturbed it when I was clearing out the morning glory vines that had died. The passion flower vine is doing well otherwise. The tomatoes from seed have their first leaves and the several tomato plants I bought have flowers. It looks like radishes, Swiss chard and even lettuce has sprouted. Just before the rain, I planted all the rooted starts of false rosella, also called cranberry hibiscus. They all look great.

I was bummed to find out that my favorite DJ is no longer going to play on the first Friday of the month starting in January. I planned my New Year's trip to Houston to include that. So I suggested to old dance partner that we add on a cruise. We discussed it yesterday and I think we pretty much decided on one. The last cruise really worked out well for us. We found places to dance every day. 2-3 hours worth. Excellent. Hope we are as lucky this time. This will leave hubs here longer than usual, but he is feeling quite independent and healthy, so why not. He will have a new kitchen to work in as well.

My plan for today is to do bedding and give hubs a shower before his doctor's appointment tomorrow. When this doctor bought his own place, he apparently added on a couple of fees not covered by insurance. (probably to help pay for the place). Another good reason to find another doctor at least for me. Start hunting for one today. Make a few calls.

Normal frugal activities around here. Save water. Use less electricity. Make healthy meals.