DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree paperwork just multiplies. Ugh.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

Ugh. I noticed the filtered water container looked a bit "green", but when I opened the top to pour in more water. Yikes!. So I have already worked on that.

I got hungry in the middle of the night and ate some nuts. I fill full this morning. I am up early. Just done sleeping. No walk today. Neighbor doesn't walk on the weekend.

Pushing the leaf sweeper all over the yard these last 2 days probably gave me about 3 miles of walking. I then dump the leaves in a garbage can and transport the can to my garden and dump it. The 32 gallon trashcan is about what a lawn bag holds, so about 20-30 bag equivalent so far. Both knees were achey last night, so I used ultrasound on them both and it helped.

Along with the manual sweeper, I did use the leaf blower a lot. This will raise the kWh usage for this month. Worked all afternoon. Hubs said I took fewer breaks as well. The electric blower is really valuable for getting into the small areas where leaves collect.

Gotta work on the ditches some more. More on the back yard. And finish the perimeter of the house. I sure hope I can pull off 3 days of yard work in a row. The 3 weeks of leaves really were a lot, yet the trees still have a lot of leaves on them.

I think I will be glad for the cold weather, so I have an excuse to do less heavy labor. Maybe get everything unpacked and get somewhat organized.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

Just 3 more hours of outside work before the rain is predicted to hit and start dropping the temperatures. I need to work on the ditches some more and try to get all my tomato plants hidden in the flowerbed mulched. It may get near freezing by Tuesday night, they say.

Then I can get busy inside. I will be glad for the break. I got out my little lawnmower yesterday and mowed some areas that the lawn guy missed. It appears that he only works when he runs out of money. This last time, he came to mow while I was out of the country. Luckily hubs was here. I had been asking him to mow one last time for almost 2 months and he always had excuses. Although hubs did his best to clear the yard of hoses and such, the guy still managed to cut one and damage a section of irrigation line. I can fix it easily, but it is annoying. The hose is not worth fixing.

Tonight, I plan to fix chili. Hubs loves it and there is usually enough for several meals. The whole turkey is just now thawed. The coldest weather is scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday. I figure that will be turkey in the crockpot time. I had hoped to get it cut and prepared today before the garbage pickup tomorrow, but I think that is too ambitious for me. Pushing hard doing yard work is wearing me down. I went to bed tired and then got leg cramps. I used my stretch band to work the cramps out and finally got to sleep. I am a bit tired this morning and my hands and back feel achey probably from the lawnmower. It is light, but still work. I hope the coffee energizes me.

Tomorrow is doctor appointment day. Hubs goes to the dentist in the morning. I will probably go over to the big Walmart while he is getting his cleaning. I have an idea how to increase the insulation on the big window. We will stop at Walmart Market on the way home. Hubs is out of cheese and I want to pick up their big bag of frozen pollack fish. When it warms in the late part of the week, I will cook up some fish on my new cooktop. They often have a good price on fresh broccoli as well. I have a mammogram scheduled for the afternoon. Appointments make my tired, so I will probably nap afterwards. I hope to work on easy on the body, repair sewing tomorrow in the late afternoon.

What I do the rest of the week depends on the weather. I am very please with my knees. They have held up very well and I am encouraged to consider getting up on the ladder and doing some curtain rod installation. I also have some financial meetings scheduled and the eye injection on Thursday. And I need to schedule the final meeting with the kitchen planner. A pretty busy week actually.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am

Well, my energy ran out yesterday. but I got most of my plants blanketed with leaves. I do have my frost cover that I can put on them tomorrow before the freezing temperatures arrive. It will be cold tonight, but not freezing. So I have some wiggle room.

Today is appointment day. I am glad it is today while the weather is still a bit warmer. Less hard on old bodies and old cars. Going to hide in the house until Thursday when I have another doctor appointment. Weather is predicted to be warmer comparatively.

I hope to make hubs his chili tonight. I was just too tired yesterday. Just play it by ear a bit today. I would like to chop up the turkey today for cooking tomorrow, but I think that is too ambitious. More important to get the rest of the winter storm windows up.

House is 73F. Outside is 46F. House is sure to drop during the day. I expect to use the heat by late afternoon or early evening. Maybe I will cook down the turkey carcass from the freezer for some soup. That would be nice. Use up the frozen celery as well. Think on it. Also it would be good to cook the cranberries today. They always taste better the day after. Cooking time, if I have the energy.

I suspect that our next energy bill will be higher. Hubs set the house temperature up while I was gone and the heat came on some. In addition, I used the electric blower to collect leaves in a pile. With less sunlight, more lights on during the day. sigh.

Well, being inside will get a bit more housework done. There is plenty to do.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday pm

Moving slowly today. Made phone calls and got return calls. Of course, the financial guy wants to get to know me and he trotted out an example of how a woman has made so much money safely through him. Yeah, yeah. Well, I may meet with him in part because he is with a credit union and what this credit union can offer will be similar to what will be available for my military son at his credit union. So it could be relevant. I didn't make an appointment because I am not going out in the cold. I have other appointments that are more important.

I am making soup right now from a turkey carcass with some celery frozen from my garden last spring. After the celery is finished giving up its flavor, I will pull it out and throw it away. Then I will add other vegetables and maybe a chicken carcass for more flavor. The soup sounds like a good thing for tonight. Hubs can have some of his chili.

We are expecting a freeze tonight. One station says a light freeze. Another says a hard freeze. While my tomato plant have a blanket of leaves on them, the tops are still exposed, so I will put my frost blanket over them as best as I can.
I bought some cheap pepper seeds to start inside. Do that sometime. Just a down day after pushing so hard to get the leaves all done. Bring my rotten tomato plants inside for the night. Even if I lose all of them in the ground, I will have the potted ones. I am not going to worry about the radishes or turnips.

The heat just came on briefly at 2 pm.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:45 pm Tuesday pm

Moving slowly today. Made phone calls and got return calls. Of course, the financial guy wants to get to know me and he trotted out an example of how a woman has made so much money safely through him. Yeah, yeah. Well, I may meet with him in part because he is with a credit union and what this credit union can offer will be similar to what will be available for my military son at his credit union. So it could be relevant. I didn't make an appointment because I am not going out in the cold. I have other appointments that are more important.

I am making soup right now from a turkey carcass with some celery frozen from my garden last spring. After the celery is finished giving up its flavor, I will pull it out and throw it away. Then I will add other vegetables and maybe a chicken carcass for more flavor. The soup sounds like a good thing for tonight. Hubs can have some of his chili.

We are expecting a freeze tonight. One station says a light freeze. Another says a hard freeze. While my tomato plant have a blanket of leaves on them, the tops are still exposed, so I will put my frost blanket over them as best as I can.
I bought some cheap pepper seeds to start inside. Do that sometime. Just a down day after pushing so hard to get the leaves all done. Bring my rotten tomato plants inside for the night. Even if I lose all of them in the ground, I will have the potted ones. I am not going to worry about the radishes or turnips.

The heat just came on briefly at 2 pm.

DG Your soup sounds yummy especially nice to have with the cold freeze you will be having.

Hope your plants make it through the deep freeze you are expecting.
Janet Alliesmama