DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday-thought for the day. Welcome to Hotel California

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.-old saying. Californians sued the electric company for the fire and drove them into bankruptcy. Now the power company turns off their power whenever the wind blows. And that is often. So what will happen now. The power company cannot guarantee the 36,000 miles of lines. And the environmentalists oppose clearing the underbrush that creates the fires. The decision to centralize power around 1915 and the success of doing so has created this problem. The logical solution is to decentralize power, but logic rarely wins until everything else is tried. Will California nationalize the grid? Given the looney government there, probably so. The Bernie belief that nationalizing everything will not lead to the Venezuela model is always amusing. Somehow it will be different this time. Just a shame how many decent people will suffer from the looney tunes they have elected.

Well, as someone said, "California is beta testing the New Green Deal." Soon New York will try a Beta test since a cold winter is predicted and they won't provide the citizens with reasonably priced heat. Oh the liberals will attack me as usual and insist it won't happen that way. Still, it is sad to see so many suffer. But stupid decisions usual create stupid results.

I have been thinking about solar power again. I have been looking into some of the battery power units now available. Not satisfied, so I applied to join a solar FB group. Maybe they can help me bridge the gap.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:18 am Sunday am

Yesterday's plans changed when it started raining early. So no painting or shopping. But I did work on making more room for cabinet boxes due tomorrow. I also cut up some cardboard boxes for my next garden.

Today, I will lay out the landscape timbers for my next garden. Moving the timbers plus several concrete blocks will be my heavy work for the day. I hope my knee holds up. I will be going to the store and getting bleach on sale 50% off. And some roast beef, onions on sale and some canned tomatoes with jalapeños for Hubs winter chili.

Eggman's wife brought over some food on Friday. We have finished it mostly. I am not sure why she does it, but she is a good cook and I always appreciate it. The pot roast is still waiting in the refrigerator. I cook it for hubs. He likes it fall apart done. I don't, so I eat other things. I always make beans and they are so tasty. Rarely any left to freeze. I still have several bags that I got for less than $1 per pound. Hubs has managed to maintain his weight loss and still have beans, so it is a good meal side.

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. It must be due to the upcoming kitchen remodel. It is the unknown. When I think logically about it, it is nothing. But emotionally, it is scary.
I think any time you have such a big project ahead of you like your kitchen remodel there is a reason to have some feelings of being overwhelmed. I know it would be to me. You will do well once things are being done and then the completion.. ((hug)).
Janet Alliesmama
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Hello, DG

We, too, have been thinking about solar power. BUT, this area of Northern Illinois gets only a smidge less than 49% of measurable sunshine days. Our winters are notorious for grey, over-cast days. So the question remains as to whether the solar system would be worth its while. This needs more research for us.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Carleen wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:57 pm Hello, DG

We, too, have been thinking about solar power. BUT, this area of Northern Illinois gets only a smidge less than 49% of measurable sunshine days. Our winters are notorious for grey, over-cast days. So the question remains as to whether the solar system would be worth its while. This needs more research for us.
Carleen I live in southwestern IL and they keep talking about solar coming in to our area and what an advantage it would be yada, yada. We too have a lot of long gray overcast days. One year we went from November in to Feb and did not have one day of sunshine.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am

This is when I know I have too much stuff. But the multiple boxes of new kitchen cabinets will only be temporary even if they seem to be there forever. And the same with the new appliances. It will be a long week. The first of several.

No walking this morning since my neighbor takes the blind elderly neighbor to breakfast on Mondays. That is ok. I want to move a few more things out of the way of the cabinet boxes.

I bought only 5 gallons of bleach yesterday on sale. I concluded after the last day of bleaching that after a few gallons, all I could smell the rest of the day was bleach. I am using it outside. Nonetheless, I will go at it a bit slower from this point. The long handled scrub brush is perfect for the job and the concrete is much improved. Not perfect, but improved. I think they regularly put it on sale, so I should get another chance to get more cheaply.

I bought the meat and onions. The onions were restricted to 2 bags or 6 pounds. That is ok. I have about 6 pints in the freezer. These I can use fresh and then freeze the rest. I only bought 2 roasts. They are lovely, but I have some in the freezer and hubs like ground beef better I think. This week, I will cook a turkey breast in the crock pot. Then get the crock pot clean before I lose my kitchen sink. I intend to remount the sink outside and I hope to wash dishes in it for the weeks without a sink. We will see. A test of my outside kitchen. Kind of scary.

This week, I must remove everything from the bottom cabinets and all the glassware from the top ones. It should be interesting. it is going to be a busy and challenging week.

The house humidity is up due to the humid weather and lack of sunshine. Normally, in the summer, the ac keeps the humidity in check by coming on and sucking the humidity out of the air. Now, it doesn't come on because of the grey skies and yet it is warm. Yuk.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am-thoughts for the day

It has been an interesting weekend. My middle son who is married with 3 children has discovered that he doesn't know anything about the family history. Now he wants to "fill in" the information. We gave this to him before. But oh well. We will have to look it all up again. Kind of annoying.

My youngest son, in the military, is becoming a conservative. He doesn't realize it, but he is talking the conservative talk. He is now in a management position and discovering that a lot of people really don't want to work. He is going through the arguments that everyone seems to go through. All we do is point out the problems with his ideas. We try to add in historical elements. He is also seeing the chaos that seems to be taking over. And we point out that this has happened before and the results are always the same. Of course, he doesn't like those results, but...... nothing we can do about history. Human nature has not changed. When freedom becomes chaos, people want security and safety and that generally means "the trains must run on time". Sometimes, it is hard to be a history buff. It is painful to see it repeating. The world never seems to learn. We aren't depressed about it. Our watch is over.

The solar effort will take a back seat for awhile as I focus on getting the house ready for kitchen demolition. Uggh. But one of the issues being discussed is getting the most out of cloudy days. Very interesting back and forth. Listening, learning.