DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am

Plan for today is to get some more cap stones, visit chiropractor and look at bird feeders. And water, water, water. This heat is melting my plants. Should I have any energy left, I need to make a connector for the water hose to irrigation line in the back for the new porch garden. That I can do inside, sitting down. Also drill the holes. There is a chance that I may feel up to pulling a few weeds.

Hubs needs a shower before I get my eye injection on Wednesday. Maybe today. Maybe tomorrow. Wednesday and Thursday will be sick days since the eye injection leaves me feeling poorly. So no plans for those days. Friday, I hope to start moving again. Hubs has been bugging me to check the salt in the conditioner. I will today and see if I need to get more. I prefer to do those trips in the morning when it is cooler. Since it is impossible to know how long the handyman will take repairing the gutter and putting in the new rain barrel, I need to wait until he is done before transplanting the hardy vincas to the new garden. They should be established before our July trip.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

I am starting back on MSM supplement. I will take a lot less to start and with food. Hope it doesn't make me sick this time.

The ac ran a bit more yesterday. Probably 6 times and not very long. Temperatures around 95F, bright sun and no rain to cool things down. Although it was cool this morning after a surprise shower last night, the humidity is quite high and not worth opening windows. I still cook breakfast inside and the coffee pot stays hot. I am thinking on transferring it to a thermos after I make it to reduce the house heat. Not found what I want yet though. Lunch is cold salad, so no heat there. And cooking outside on the porch for dinner or warming in the microwave. Hubs thinks we should get a new refrigerator because this one is marginal. But I am resisting since it still works. Same thing with the stove. I hope to reduce its use significantly. I have a hot plate to put out on the porch, but the serving, prep area is not set up yet. Projects are slowed down by the knee. And I would feel badly if I let the plants die of thirst.

I hope to plant a couple of plants today. With damp ground, it will be even better. See what the knee says.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

It is hot and dry here. I have built more irrigation lines and I use them almost every day. I have planted some of my potted plants where they can use the irrigation water. Most are doing good. Some are a bit shocked for some reason. I hope to transplant a couple more today. I will see what the bad knee says.

The ac is running more often now. Usually in the late afternoons. The house temperature starts the morning at 80F, sometimes 79F and then reaches 82F, lingers there for several hours before the ac comes on. We use fans. It makes 82F quite pleasant. I am using a lot of water though, so the running well pump will probably make the electric bill just as high as in previous summers. We will see.

I need to get some more irrigation line pieces, a couple of T valves and end caps. Little stuff. I thought about going out to get them, but I think I will wait until tomorrow. Traffic is light on Sunday mornings when most are in church. I also will need to get hubs some cheese, so it will be a frugal several stops.

I want to buy a blender. I will need to go to the big Walmart. Next week. I want to start making chicken bean burgers. I considered a food processor, but it is all very soft and a blender ought to be good enough.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am.

Well, I moved the two big bushes I bought earlier this spring. They were in pots and I wanted to move the pots to a mulched irrigated area since we will travel in July and they will get no water for a week. I did that at a price. Hurt the knee. So today will be gentle. I wanted to move a couple of small potted plants to a permanent location, but I tried to make a hole for them and the dry soil was like concrete. Plan B.

The night temperatures are dropping to near 70F, so I open the windows if I get up early and that feels good. At least for a couple of hours, it is a bit cooler inside. I generally have to close up the house by 10 am.

I have moved a number of little potted plants to my new raised garden bed off the porch. I have an irrigation line in it. They will not stay there permanently, but again mulching them in for the upcoming trip.

It looks like another week without rain and with high temperatures. I have to continue to water. ugh.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:20 am Sunday am.

Well, I moved the two big bushes I bought earlier this spring. They were in pots and I wanted to move the pots to a mulched irrigated area since we will travel in July and they will get no water for a week. I did that at a price. Hurt the knee. So today will be gentle. I wanted to move a couple of small potted plants to a permanent location, but I tried to make a hole for them and the dry soil was like concrete. Plan B.

The night temperatures are dropping to near 70F, so I open the windows if I get up early and that feels good. At least for a couple of hours, it is a bit cooler inside. I generally have to close up the house by 10 am.

I have moved a number of little potted plants to my new raised garden bed off the porch. I have an irrigation line in it. They will not stay there permanently, but again mulching them in for the upcoming trip.

It looks like another week without rain and with high temperatures. I have to continue to water. ugh.
Wish I could send you some of our rain.. Take care of that knee.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I wish you could send me some rain too, Janet. But it is the dry month, just this year combined with very hot temperatures. The severe dipping of the jet stream in the west is part of the problem for middle America. The temperature differential is the storm maker for you.