DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you Jackielou for sharing your viewpoint on the Canadian issue.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday evening

I have accomplished a lot in the garden between rain showers. I did lift and move a concrete block without pain. Just one and just a short distance, but a start. I used up all the excess cardboard that I have been saving as weeds barrier. Now my nectar garden is ready for mulch and most of the fence garden. That will wait until the weekend when it is drier. I had another discussion with hubs about the stock market. It was a good back and forth and enjoyable. The turkey and beans did not come out tasty. I forgot to add a bullion cube. Well I will melt one tomorrow and add it to the leftovers. It feels like the hurricane season is almost over. That is a nice thought to end the night.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am

Blood work re-test came back. The TSH is still high. However, it appears that the tests we agreed on were not done or reported. I sent them a note via portal. I feel fine.

My plan for the next couple of days is to prepare the porch area for the upcoming remodeling. There is a fair amount of moving this and that around. I will also plant tomatoes and peppers and ground cover. They too will need mulching. Luckily, I have a lot of mulch. In addition, I will begin to enlarge the gravel area around the perimeter of the house. I had to stop that when my knee went out. I want to extend the gravel area from the current 12 to 24 inches out. I completed that on the northeast front of the house at the beginning of the year. Then I will put a barrier of a concrete block to keep the gravel in and the dirt out. In addition, I will sink termite stakes in the ground. I don't have termites and I want to keep it that way. I will only do the section between the chain link fence and the ac unit at this time. I should have enough stones to cover the plastic in that section. By the weekend, I should be able to start mulching. I am counting on the knee holding up.

Today, I think I will make broccoli stir fry. I decided that I will chop up the leftover turkey, add the bouillon cube and make it kind of a stew. We can have it tomorrow. I try not to have 2 of the same meals in a row.

House is cooler this morning. The promised cool front is here or almost here. Outside temperatures in the low 70's this morning. No ac needed. I do have the whole house fan running. It circulates the air through the attic ductwork that should be cool right now. It sometimes reduces the house temperature by 2 degrees without introducing any humidity. Opening windows risk humid air.

I have fallen down on my fly baby cleaning. I was depressed that my trip was cancelled. But now that I have made some progress in the garden, I feel less depressed and ready to get back into fly baby cleaning.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday thought for the day.

Interesting how many people visit my blog and leave an opinion. Interesting about the Canada situation. Almost sounds like the US coastals vs the fly overs. Very interesting.

The general consensus is that the US economy will slow down although Trump is pushing the financial accelerator. I think Logic's broker nailed it. However, that begs the question of whether to invest in growth or go defensive. Hubs has selected defensive. Something to ponder. Next year, I begin required withdrawal of IRA funds. Once they are withdrawn and taxes paid, what am I going to spend the money on or do I invest and get capital gains and dividends or do I put it in an annuity as a shelter against taxes? I wish I understood the new tax policy better. Think I will study up on it. A friend pointed out that we in the US actually pay a lot of tax when you add them all up. There is federal income tax. State income tax in most states and or retail, utility and gas taxes. County taxes based on property and special taxes called fees for drainage and trash collection. School taxes. Because they are all from different places, it is easy to trick the simple witted. It seems to me to be frugal to pay less taxes although one can argue that is a cheat on services. Interesting problem.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Actually I read your thread (this really is not a blog) every day. I read all posts every day. As moderator it is my duty to see where and what people are saying or heading. If you don't want an opinion, don't post that thought.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday am

Good morning everyone who drops by. May your heart be filled with good thoughts and your actions with good deeds.

Another lovely day in Florida. A windows open, bird singing morning. I planted 4 of the ground cover plants yesterday, planted 3 tomatoes in large pots and some Swiss chard in smaller pots, 2 lantana in the nectar garden and a simpston stopper(native plant) and a couple of milkweed. Also planted seeds of beets, turnips, lettuce in the kiddie garden and started other seeds in seed pots. Also pulled weeds.

We had another high fresh vegetable meal last night. Ground beef with fresh onion, broccoli, orange peppers with ginger and spices. I generally sneak in some sesame and flax seeds. I chopped and put the rest of the orange pepper in the freezer.

I ate my last cucumber for lunch yesterday, so it is lettuce for me. That is fine with me. It is good with my homemade oil and vinegar dressing. This last batch of dressing had garlic powder added. The next batch may have some other spices.

Today, I am looking forward to moving mulch. That won't take that long and everything looks so much better mulched. Maybe I will do some outside touch up painting as well. The cooler weather with heat index below 100F is very energizing. Oh and more weed pulling and yard tidy.

Another day of simple, healthy living. We will start with turkey bacon and eggs. Lunch of lettuce, tomatoes, and dinner tonight of turkey bean stew. Hubs will add a snack of cheese in the afternoon and sugar free jello after dinner. Hopefully, he will take a walk as well. And many glasses of good water. I don't like making solar tea when the weather gets cooler.

I did pretty good with my return to fly-baby cleaning. Even though I was tired from working in the yard until sunset, I still did dishes after dinner, put them to dry, dumped the dish water, took the vegetable scraps to the worm compost. I slept well. Some people post a lot to fly baby FB. I don't since I feel I am not focusing on it as much as others. I am trying to incorporate the 6 daily tasks. The one I am working on is do something you don't want to. That is generally housework of some sort.