DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

The price of cat food went up at PetSmart. It is now cheaper to get it at Walmart. Cat litter prices are a toss up. I got 2 more trashcans.

I must be wasting a lot of time because I only get a fraction of things done. Quite annoying.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

List of chores includes planting bulbs for green onions. Rain is expected, so it is a good time. Also fill my 2 new trashcans with leaves. Get all the dishes washed and put away. Shower and walk for hubs if it gets warm. Get handyman started on the next project. He likes working in the cool weather. Good with me.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am

Wednesday was pretty productive. The handyman will price the new lean-to building on the fence side of my big shed. And a guy I have used before for yard stuff will tidy the area in preparation, well I hope. Waiting to hear from him. Meanwhile, I got all my trashcans filled and out for leaf pickup. And about half the onions planted. Hubs got a shower, but didn't want to take a walk. Big rain overnight means inside for me today. That is fine with me.

House temperature is 73F and no furnace heat needed. I so love my shutters. In the warmer weather, they will be put away and the glorious light will brighten the room. Works for me.

I hope for a get ahead day today and a bit of decluttering as well. Rainy days can be good days.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday pm

Area for new building, prepped and waiting. The yardman filled up all my trashcans and even a couple of bags. I asked my neighbor if I could put a couple of them on her side, since they limit the number they will pick up. She said fine. I can't do anything in the yard until after Friday and I have empty cans again. :(

Today is just a tidy day. Cold rain all day. Yukky day. Turkey breast tonight. I have raised the house temperature to 69F daytime. There seems to be a chill at 68F that goes away at 69F.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

We have returned to Florida temperatures at last. Preparing the ground underneath the new overhang, lean to was finished and all my trashcans were filled. The leaf recycle people took it all on Thursday, so I was finally able to work on clearly the weeds from my front garden. The weeds must be cleared before I begin the spring leaf dump on the bed followed by a layer of mulch. I will work on it some more today. Another Florida day ahead.

The handyman expects to be finished by Monday. The project is taking longer than expected. I am concerned that his poor health is catching up to him. He is getting assistance from the yard guy he recommended. I said they work together well and should consider doing it more often. Handyman's truck is out of commission and they are using the yard guy's truck. They have asked for cash instead of a check. Normally, I would be uncomfortable with that, but I have worked with them both and I am taking a risk. I already gave them a 1/3 of the money because they needed gas. A truck can eat $100 of gas in a snap.

It is my policy to withdraw a little money every January from every savings account. I rarely touch savings, but I want the accounts to stay active and that is the best way. So I withdrew cash and will use it to pay these guys off. win, win.

I will probably push for the next 2 projects to get done soon seeing that the handyman is getting slow.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

Time to push transplanting. I watered yesterday to soften the ground. And then it rained. :roll: So today we will see what works. Tomorrow will be the handyman. Tuesday, hubs doctor appointment and a chance to hit Aldi's nearby. Wednesday, leaves and mulch and more weeding to fill cans for pickup on Thursday. Typical week.