DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday

We will not get to the window shopping this week. I am fine with that. The handymen coming tomorrow may know of other places that can do the windows. They knew of a better place to get metal panels for the shed. With someone coming every day, it was not practical to schedule a far away shopping trip.

Hubs did the monthly report and there is no real changes. We are pretty much locked in by bills that don't change. Food is down a little, but hubs isn't very good about putting in those purchases I do with cash. I don't think I can reduce food costs much while on a low carb diet and it looks like we will be on one for the rest of our lives. Hubs will always be a diabetic. The garden will help if I get it going. Many people spend a lot of money to get a few garden tomatoes. I hope to be more frugal.The stock market has pulled back since January and it shows in the bottom line for the month. But I never get excited about the shifting markets.

It will be good to get the leaves raked and finished. I have been offered extra leaves because I use them. It is too bad other people don't use their leaves. They are wonderful for the flower beds and gardens. They reduce the need for watering and a great free resource. I have plenty in the back yard, so I have to decline the offers. In the summer, people will also get rid of grass clippings which are high in nitrogen. Unfortunately, they usually are filled with poisons from the lawn service and not fit to use in an organic garden.

Today, I hope to finish a new flower bed in front. I have accumulated enough cardboard to put under as a weed barrier. And I have a layer of leaves on it now. So a layer of cheap composted manure(walmart, $1.87) and then another layer of leaves and a final layer of mulch. It will be an interesting year.

I have to make more toilet paper tube seed pots. I will be moving the current little pots to larger plastic pots, so I will have my little pot trays ready for more seeds. While the toilet paper tube pots have done well, the egg carton seed pots have not done that well. But we will see if something sprouts in them over the next week.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday evening

Planted the sunflowers and the small plumbago. Planted jasmine. Moved the fringe plant and iris. Topped off the tomato plant containers with soil. I have 25+ tomato plants and no idea what kind they are. Moved toilet paper tube seedlings to bigger pots. Filled bottom of 5 large(5-8 gallon) containers with composted leaves.
ephofma

Post by ephofma »

Wow! Great job DG!
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday

I spent yesterday working in the yard. It looks like I calculated the leaves and the garden volume about right. I have a couple of barrels of leaves left on the side and room for them in the north front fence area. Any remainder can go around the tree. I also put down the plastic from the garden soil bags to form a pathway between my new gardens on the north side. I covered them with mulch. I need to search the house for cardboard to use as weed barrier under a new flower bed. I filled six more big pots halfway with partly composted leaves. The rest will be bought garden soil. Plants do very well with this combination and it is a huge money saver to use only half the soil.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday night

A light work day compared to Saturday. I did get to the Bulknation and using my own containers(didn't waste their plastic bags), I got almonds, coconut oil and Italian herb blend. If it works out, I will be able to ditch the premade Italian seasoning and save money. I used a coupon, saved $3 and also got double stamps and can redeem for a 10 dollar gift card next visit. I had planned to buy dried green beans as a snack, but read the label, added sugar. :x

The trip to Home Depot to use the HD coupon was unsuccessful. I need plumbago to finish the white fence hedge. They didn't have any. I needed them to make the $50 minimum purchase. Guess, I will go to Lowe's. Added several barrels of leaves to the north fence line and some mulch. I might be able to squeeze in a couple of barrels of leaves and then cover with mulch. Planted fringe plants between the cedars. Put down a bag and half of garden soil on new 8x4 garden. Ready to do mulch and plant flowers and vegetables there. Next garden, 4x8 is half ready.