DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

Well, a new day is starting. Knees are not in great shape this morning. I already did an ultrasound treatment on them. Well, I hope they improve as the day warms up. Going to push them via yard work today. See if they take the challenge or gets annoyed with me. Leaves and more leaves. But soon they will be over until next spring. I do want to make a new compost bin because I sometimes want leaves during the summer and there aren't any. The leaves won't compost very fast, so I will have them for quite awhile. I have 2 sides up, but the third side has a problem. Buried pavers. I will need to dig them up in order to pound the fence post into the ground to hold up that side of the compost bin. Frustrating. It will be very hard to get those pavers out. Ugh.

I still need to trim the figs. They never really went dormant. I did untangle the brown turkey figs and they look happy. The rest, well on my list. I also want to transplant my Natal plum and my two little citrus trees. So much to do, so little time. I am not buying anymore plants this spring. I am overwhelmed with what I have.

Today, I will get to the post office and the grocery store. Do some paperwork and yard work. Tomorrow, if the knees are good, hubs and I will hit the gym. Then a walk with the neighbor and more yard work. Thursday, I have a chat with an investment guy. I don't think it will be productive, but I need to keep an open mind. Then the weather turns cool. Time for some more turkey.

Food roll call: It looks like hubs is good with this new riced cauliflower. He didn't like the other 2 brands I bought. So I will get more of it. It is frozen and I can store it in my freezer. If the ground beef roll thaws today, I can make him Cajun dirty rice with the cauliflower rice tonight. One of his all time favorite meals. I will then cut the rest of the beef roll into burgers and freeze. I am careful about keeping food too long in the chest freezer. So I will need to do a spring cleaning of it soon. I have 2 beef roasts($2.99/lb) and one whole turkey and one half a turkey breast. One 5 lb roll of ground beef. One tray of chicken thighs. Must eat soon, salmon pieces. I have been happy that I haven't had to freeze any more onions. I really like them fresh. Only a couple left of the 6 lbs I bought in the refrigerator along with some fresh Brussel sprouts and fresh turnips. Tried some frozen blueberries in whipped cream. Not bad. A good choice when I forget to make sugar free jello. Hubs likes his deserts.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

Feeling like I got hit by a truck. Achy muscles, joints and headache. No appetite. Still, need to eat. Eggs are a good choice. I checked my weight at the gym yesterday when I went for the CPR class. I have lost 4 pounds since I last weighed in. I think it was from not being able to eat for 3 days. I was able to drink water and actually ate plain lettuce off and on and it sat well.

It has not been the best time to be "sick". I had a lot of financial things to take care of and my brain was not working very well. I muddled through. Hubs printed out all the potential documents for the truck transfer. I will look them over when I feel better, hopefully today. In addition, due to the additional vehicle, I had to budget for the additional cost and transfer costs. That was a big hit. I went to the bank on Friday before eating the meat that I apparently am allergic too and was able to get money moved from saving to checking without problem. I was not that sharp.

The yard has been on its own this week. Live or die. I don't care. I don't like that attitude in me, but this is bad. Hubs and I discussed it some. I have always been susceptible to food allergies. When I was a child, something I ate or drank would cause me to swell up like a balloon. I was given a liquid medicine and would slowly come back to normal. My dad banned grape soda and then other things. Eventually, I outgrew it or I grew into severe migraines as a preteen. Vomiting for days etc. As an adult, I discovered a combination of artificial creamer and sweetener was a migraine guarantee. Last year, I gave up bacon and other similar foods because they were not sitting well. Now this brand of beef. Interesting how life charts a path.

Hubs is not feeling well either although he didn't have any of the meat. I think it is the cold. He absolutely doesn't do well in the cold. I don't think we will make it to the gym this weekend.

Hubs gave me a compliment. He said the way I have buttoned up this house for winter along with the improved insulation has really made a huge difference in how cold it feels. That translates into the draft factor. The cardboard is the best draft stopper around. I will need to actually cut pieces from my kitchen cabinet boxes to fit perfectly in the windows. Free and effective. But not now. I hurt too much.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:16 am Saturday am

Feeling like I got hit by a truck. Achy muscles, joints and headache. No appetite. Still, need to eat. Eggs are a good choice. I checked my weight at the gym yesterday when I went for the CPR class. I have lost 4 pounds since I last weighed in. I think it was from not being able to eat for 3 days. I was able to drink water and actually ate plain lettuce off and on and it sat well.

It has not been the best time to be "sick". I had a lot of financial things to take care of and my brain was not working very well. I muddled through. Hubs printed out all the potential documents for the truck transfer. I will look them over when I feel better, hopefully today. In addition, due to the additional vehicle, I had to budget for the additional cost and transfer costs. That was a big hit. I went to the bank on Friday before eating the meat that I apparently am allergic too and was able to get money moved from saving to checking without problem. I was not that sharp.

The yard has been on its own this week. Live or die. I don't care. I don't like that attitude in me, but this is bad. Hubs and I discussed it some. I have always been susceptible to food allergies. When I was a child, something I ate or drank would cause me to swell up like a balloon. I was given a liquid medicine and would slowly come back to normal. My dad banned grape soda and then other things. Eventually, I outgrew it or I grew into severe migraines as a preteen. Vomiting for days etc. As an adult, I discovered a combination of artificial creamer and sweetener was a migraine guarantee. Last year, I gave up bacon and other similar foods because they were not sitting well. Now this brand of beef. Interesting how life charts a path.

Hubs is not feeling well either although he didn't have any of the meat. I think it is the cold. He absolutely doesn't do well in the cold. I don't think we will make it to the gym this weekend.

Hubs gave me a compliment. He said the way I have buttoned up this house for winter along with the improved insulation has really made a huge difference in how cold it feels. That translates into the draft factor. The cardboard is the best draft stopper around. I will need to actually cut pieces from my kitchen cabinet boxes to fit perfectly in the windows. Free and effective. But not now. I hurt too much.

Dg hope you feel better soon. I am curious as to what is added to the beef to affect you this way. I have enough problems without an additive to meat.

Glad your DH recognizes your efforts.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Janet, I was kind of under the weather at the time of reading. I do recall that they were long chemical sounding names. And there may be other products out there. I don't yet have the energy or focus to look them up again. Maybe at a later time. Hubs and I discussed getting part of a cow in order to avoid the potential contamination. But I don't have the freezer space. But I may have to change my diet as a result. Thinking on it.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

My tummy still feels bloated although it is functioning correctly. No appetite. But I know I need to eat and so I am although it is not my usual fare. I am eating a lot of lettuce. It seems to sit well. I also plucked a small ripe papaya from one of my trees and ate it. Papaya taste like a mildly sweet melon. I have lost 4 pounds, but this is not the way to do weight loss.

I was glad to see Sanders win the Nevada democratic caucus. While I don't support Sanders, I believe in fair elections and felt he got mistreated in 2016. Bloomberg scares me after the videos came out that showed him saying old people should not be treated for cancer because they are old anyways. I was glad to hear that he has lost some favor in the polls.

My sister in law is at it again. She is such an idiot. She gives blondes a bad name. She went on FB and said she was glad that the classified briefing regarding Russia was leaked. The "people" have a right to know. Roll my eyes. First, she insisted that no where in the cited article did it say it was secret or top secret. She then went on to rant about the people's rights, etc. Roll my eyes again. I pointed out that the article said "classified" and made some general comments about the security of covert operations. Finally, hubs had enough and then cited regulations etc way beyond her air bubble filled brain. So far it has ended it. But FB does bring out the stupid people and you wonder how they manage to tie their shoe laces in the morning. It must be nice to live in a simple world and feel safe. It is not reality. It is a dangerous world out there. Enough said.

The corona virus is interesting. It has not obeyed conventional isolation techniques. It apparently is being spread by asymptotic people according to recent report. This will really cramp the Chinese plans. They have spread their influence throughout Asia, Africa and Indo-European areas. I imagine they are working intensely on a cure. It is bad for business.

Eggs are sitting well as are some vegetables. Ground beef from a different source also seems ok. I love beef, but right now it kind of scares me. I did sleep well last night. It was good to be without body pain. I woke up and the sun was up. It is funny but when I sleep that hard, I am not entirely sure how much time as really passed. Maybe just a couple of minutes or a couple of days. I keep my iPad by my bed and check. Is this a weird old person thing?
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:41 am Janet, I was kind of under the weather at the time of reading. I do recall that they were long chemical sounding names. And there may be other products out there. I don't yet have the energy or focus to look them up again. Maybe at a later time. Hubs and I discussed getting part of a cow in order to avoid the potential contamination. But I don't have the freezer space. But I may have to change my diet as a result. Thinking on it.
Good luck on finding an option. Food is medicine that is for sure. I think that is why we have so many children and others that are not eating well that are acting out due to the food chemical poisoning that they are not aware they are eating.
Janet Alliesmama