DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

The stove is turned off and the residual heat is finishing my eggs. Coffee pot is turned off as well and the coffee is still nice and warm. Storm is a brewing overhead. Yesterday, it growled, but never rained. See what happens this morning.

I think I have used up all the fragrance in the used up gel attached to the little fan. I did get almost 10 days extra out of it. Love to stretch stuff.

New bathroom arrangement is set up and working well. I like using a separate bathroom since I use girlie wipes.

I am really on the fence about the refrigerator. I don't like to trash anything that is still working. And I hear so many horror stories about these new ones failing after a year. $6 a month seems significant until I measure the price of the new machine and then $100 more for delivery. They won't really need to move it or disconnect it when putting in the new lower cabinets, so less disruption.

I told hubs that I want to carpet the porch with indoor/outdoor carpet next year. He is not in agreement. He wants paint. I warned him it could be slick and the floor is not in condition to handle paint well. Well, I will think on it. Plenty of time.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday am

Most of the morning will be used running around. Running around is very tiring. Still, I hope to have the energy to do a bit more work on recovering that section of the yard that got away from me. Maybe get a trashcan full of weeds. We will see how that works out. Also a bit of flower bed maintenance. I want to replant the sink water garden. The coleus got ragged and finally died. They really don't like the intense heat. I think I will plant some false rosella in the tub. I have plenty. It seems to like the heat and sun. That is an easier job than pulling weeds.

The outdoor kitchen buffet is basically done. Final touchup today and then clean up. I am pleased with the color.

I have pretty much decided to keep the old refrigerator. It still works and maybe I am feeling a bit that changing out so much that has to be changed out is enough for now. I will be swapping the stove for a new cooktop and a new sink and a new dishwasher. I wash by hand, but when I travel, hubs needs a dishwasher since he only has one working hand.

Hubs is concerned about the reduction in kitchen storage. There is no storage under the sink or stove. He sees it as a lot less. I don't see it as that much of a change. Frankly, it looks like I have too many pots as is. I am discovering that I only need a couple of them now that I don't cook any pasta or rice. I might make soup in the winter, but there isn't much winter here, so that is rare. I cook mostly in the crockpot in the winter. Buying only meat and vegetables sure has changed our lifestyle. I like the changes. Simplifying feels good.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday am part 2

Discussed the storage issue with hubs. He was worried about where I would put all my pots and pans. I pointed out that I really don't use pots anymore. I cook down the turkey bones once or twice in the winter in a big pot. He said I use the steamer. I pointed out that lately I have used the microwave to steam fresh vegetables. And I use the crockpot for roasting and cooking dry beans. He admitted that maybe we don't need all this stuff. Time to de-clutter and re-organize.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:36 am Friday am part 2

Discussed the storage issue with hubs. He was worried about where I would put all my pots and pans. I pointed out that I really don't use pots anymore. I cook down the turkey bones once or twice in the winter in a big pot. He said I use the steamer. I pointed out that lately I have used the microwave to steam fresh vegetables. And I use the crockpot for roasting and cooking dry beans. He admitted that maybe we don't need all this stuff. Time to de-clutter and re-organize.
I got rid of a lot of my pots and pans since I do not entertain as much as I did when I was younger and the family no longer does big holiday gatherings at my house. They do take up a lot of space. I do have a closet where I keep a lot of my kitchen equipment. It was used as a utility closet in the hallway by the kitchen but I had my contractor put in shelving. Things are close when needed and out of the way when not being used. I moved my vacuum sweeper, brooms dust mops etc to the front room closet where you would hang coats and things for your guest. Never did use it for that. I bought a small wire shelf with about 3 shelves and that is where I keep my emergency supplies and the things like the vacuum, broom etc. When there is a power outage I can go to that closet and have things up and going in less than a minute without having to think.. where is whatever?
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I like your ideas. And it is good to know that someone is doing just fine without a lot of pots and pans. I guess I sometimes think myself out of action wondering if I might need it sometime. I guess I will start to move stuff now to storage and see how it feels. Thanks for the support.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday late am

I had a middle of the night wake up, so it felt good to sleep late. Hubs is able to make coffee now by himself, so it was ready when I got up. That was nice. But morning stuff was all pushed back an hour or more.

August is a very hot month here in Florida. All that heat fuels the hurricane season peak in September. I am not ready for a hurricane. I have stuff laying all over the yard. I need to get on top of that very soon. I don't look forward to going out in the heat and the mosquitoes. The bug spray only works for a few minutes.

I am happy with my frugal activities around the house and yet, I wish I could be more industrious like some people seem to be here. Then I remind myself that I don't need to sew any more clothes or quilts or curtains. And I don't need to knit anything either. The painting I did on the porch was done over several days because it is so very hot and I just have to stop so often. The sweat gets in my eyes and runs down my face. Just awful hot. Inside just seems to be maintenance. Yes, I feel frustrated.

I am so sad that so many are feeling so anxious and afraid. And there seems to be so much hatred for the President expressed through name calling. When you start calling people ugly names, hate is the next step. Soon you hate the person and then their family and then their friends and then their supporters. Without realizing it, you are starting down the dark path as described so well in Star Wars. Fortunately, I fight those feelings by random acts of kindness. I gave the person behind me in line a coupon that I was not going to use that I saw they could use. I complimented a young woman on her hair. The list of simple good things we can do for others is the only way to reduce hate. I welcome my neighbors to whatever fruit are on my trees. If I had any vegetables growing, I would share those too. "If everyone lit one candle, what a bright world this would be."

Well, time to make lunch for hubs and to be thankful for my blessings.