DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday-thought for the day.

The stock market drop has hit a momentary stop. In fact, Friday futures look positive. Economists say there will be a global recession. No one wants to use the D word. I am not sure how governments are going to handle this. Way outside normal economic theory. We are in a different place than 1930, but is it a better place? I will need to study this a bit. For people dependent on the stock market for income, this will be a tough time. There are a lot of posts on FB about "making do" recipes. A return to homemade. Those of us who practice frugal ways are now of interest to the elitists who scorned us just a few years ago. A lot of people are considering vegetable gardens for the first time.

We had figured this end of the world "as we know it" would happen based on our mutual study of history. People like to believe that as soon as this is over, everything will be as it was. It wasn't after the Great Depression. The psychology of the world was changed. Will that be the case this time?
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

I woke up late, so the day is a bit behind already. I didn't get as much done in the yard as I would have hoped, but apparently enough to cover myself with dust and cause me to oversleep. It was hot yesterday. 90F. I had to take extra breaks. I also wanted to avoid the open sunlight since I want to avoid getting pink again. So I tried to work in the shade. Today will be more of the same. I have a lot of yard to do. We have had ground beef several days in a row. I am not sure I want more. I need to think on it. Making dinner at 4 pm is a good fit. Outside 4 pm is the hottest time of day, so being inside is a good idea for this old woman. And then I have an hour or more in the cooler evening to work. I also hope to start unloading the concrete blocks from the truck. I hope Home Depot will have a spring sale on landscape timbers. I need a bunch and now I have a truck to carry them.

I am glad I am a frugal. My freezer is full of on sale meat. My garden is full of tomatoes. And my needs are small. Financially, we are in a good place and I have money set aside for my yard and gardens. My flower gardens are healthy and can be converted to vegetables in a snap. My southern cherry plants are beginning to produce. A few fruits for me and some for the birds.

This is day 11 of my Covid-19 watch. Still feeling fine. I have tried to reduce my level of eating since I felt like I was gaining a bit of weight. I feel thinner although I don't like feeling hungry. I am going to have to start working out at home since my gym is shut down. I am trying to get that organized in my brain. I do prefer to go to the gym as part of my focus. Well, challenging times.

My heart is sad for all the people who are feeling panic.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

I noticed you're counting the days since you encountered a coughing woman at the Doctor's office waiting room 11 days ago, but since that time you've been to walmart at least a few times, the gym a few times, Save a Lot, Home Depot, watched a movie with the Eggman, etc.

Any of the other people, surfaces, and even the air you encountered puts you at risk of catching this virus. So your 14 day count should restart every time you go shopping somewhere, go to the gym, etc.

Many people have been found to be asymptomatic although they have the virus. You can't tell who has it, and that might include yourself.

Stay home. For your own sake, your husbands, and everyone else's.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/20/us/coronavirus-model-us-outbreak.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage
ohjodi
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday- thoughts for the day.

At this time, it is normal to say I wish I had done this or that..... Certainly, we could have converted all our investments to cash. We discussed it a bit and decided to let it float. We didn't have much in the stock market, so our bottom line is still good. My rich son was heavily invested as is my sister-in law. Both think they are able to outsmart the market. Both are in ETF investments. Those are or were the hot market investment vehicle. We made other choices.

Will we go into a Depression? Or will they market this as the Great Recession and take the title from the last Great Recession. The stock market has dropped 30% they say. This is called a bear market. A lot of young people have never seen a bear market. Must be scary for them.

The new tax return deadline is an interesting twist. Creating a soft landing for business is a good idea. I think there will be more changes along that line. No business, no jobs. No jobs, no taxes. It is that simple. The national debt is going to be horrible. Way overextended. I don't see how they can do it. Kind of scares me. State governments, especially states already tittering on bankruptcy will not be able to ask for more tax money. Don't know how they will meet their obligations.

People are still thinking things will just go back to the way they were when this is over. After the Depression, things did not go back to the Roaring 20's. History says worldwide changes like this leave worldwide changes. The push for Globalism is probably dead. Global distribution failed to provide. Nationalism will rise. Local production will become the push. History repeats. It always does.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you ohjodi for your concern and advice. If that woman had Covid-19, she would have been on the list of active cases by now. 11 days. She is not. The only local woman who is on the list, does not meet the profile. I have gone several places and unlike most people, I have made a point of social distancing for 11 days, 6 ft when possible. I have left stores if they are crowded and would not allow for social distancing. I have checked my temperature every day, unlike most and watched for any signs. I wish more people would have done what I did 11 days ago. Instead they socialized in crowds including the panic crowds in grocery stores. I didn't. I even declined to shake hands 11 days ago. When I went to Home Depot for example, I walked in and said I was a senior and practicing social distancing. I told them what I wanted. I paid for it by credit card, no contact with cashier. Asked them to get the item and bring it out and put it into my truck while I waited outside away from everyone. I touched nothing in the store. How many people are doing that? Not many for sure. I have paid for things using my credit card where possible on the remote card reader. No contact. I have done this for 11 days. Most have just started. I feel I have been pretty responsible. More responsible than most. Remember, the probability is that woman had a bad cold. A common member of the corona virus group. Not every cough is Covid-19. I assumed the worst in order to protect others.

BTW. I have run the actual numbers on this virus from published results of world countries. The numbers of deaths and critical care are actually low compared to other famous viruses. It is good to run the numbers in order to avoid personal panic. However, there is evidence that the virus is mutating. The corona family of viruses is famous for that. That is one of the reasons there is no cure for the common cold. We are now seeing young adults affected, hit just as hard as older people. It is a statistic that is not widely distributed, but it is there if you know how to read these kind of things. But panic only needs a nudge and it got it with Covid-19.

Anyone can be asymptomatic. Everyone should be monitoring like me and practicing safe practices as I have for 11 days. But that is just my opinion.
rinty

Post by rinty »

Oh, sweetie, you just aren't listening. You aren't listening to us on the forum, that's for sure and you aren't listening to the WHO.

Who do you think is right ?

Just you ?

Just listen and stay home and stop endangering your partner. Read Jodis " glitter" analogy again.

You are part of our family here.