DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am

A good night's sleep and a lot accomplished yesterday seems to start me feeling fresh in the morning. I do want to do more on my fly baby discipline rules, but I am doing a little and that may be where I will stay for awhile. That is allowed.

Had a scary virus infection flag come up on the computer, but hubs says it didn't look right and he restarted the computer.

Hubs did the monthly expense report and said we lived within our income last month.

Maybe more later. Got to eat and get ready for the doctor visit.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday am

Today should be the day I sign off on the ADA kitchen cabinets. I am going to have to have a small modification to the delivery. See how that goes. Off to get my morning walk.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

Beans are soaking. Black beans because hubs likes them a lot. I am 2 days late on the turkey breast. At least, I know it is completely thawed. Thursday, I had the doctor's appointment and then over to the shoe place to get shoes discounted with code. I arrived home too late to start the turkey. Friday, I had to sign off on the kitchen contract and then go buy a over the stove replacement fan. Handyman will install it next week. Got home too late to start the turkey. Today, at last, I am home all day. Hooray.

Even though, I was tired out, ok, exhausted, from dealing with the volume of paperwork on the contract and the arrangements for the fan, I still found time to go outside and fill a trashcan with weeds. I made hubs the tuna fish Janet inspired salad and worked outside until dark. After dinner, I fulfilled first fly baby task. I washed the dishes and cleaned the sink. I have been too tired to do "hotspots" the last couple of days.

Today, I expect to do more in the yard. But due to the dry weather that will include running my DIY irrigation system. No ac costs, but well pump costs. (sigh).

Yesterday, I also sent a copy of the auto insurance informational paperwork I got to my agent. They didn't get a copy of it. Since it seems to contradict my agent's opinion, I wanted to discuss it with him. Unfortunately, he had to leave work early because his child and the grandmother were both sick. It may be Tuesday before I get to talk to him.

I got my gift cards for my cc reward points. The money will help pay for the new appliances. I have to get new ones because of the changed kitchen design. An ADA sink, cook top to replace the stove, and a smaller dishwasher suitable for 2 people. I plan to keep the old sink and put it outside for my outside kitchen and for gardening.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am part 2 thoughts

Yesterday, there was a so called "climate walkout and strike" by teenagers. Some, after the "strike" pictures, show that these so called climate warrior haven't yet figured out how to pick up after themselves. What a mess they left behind. One of the sites I visit was all enthusiastic about the event. But I pointed out that they really just got a day off school and since they don't work or contribute anything to society calling it a strike was an amusing phrase. Of course I was challenged. "What did I do to combat climate change?" My reply was I have adapted and reduced my environmental footprint. Having a frugal mindset has really helped. I reduce, recycle and reuse. The 3 R's of the true environmental movement. And I try to be a good steward to the land. I am happy that I can be. Talk is cheap. Be an example of what you believe.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday morning

A soft cool breeze from the north coming through the open window. Birds singing and chirping all around in the big trees I protect. Life is good.

I completed my fly baby first level task last night even though I was tired from working in the yard. It feels good to do it. Feeling accomplished is the best way to go to bed. Today will be more weed pulling and yard work. The knee doesn't hurt this morning, but it feels weak, so I need to be careful. I finally cut up the 99c frozen turkey breast. We had one side of it for dinner. There is enough for another dinner. I don't generally like to have back to back same meals, but I am a bit low in the unfrozen category. I will need to get out my last roll of ground beef to thaw.

Today, I hope to begin laying my new walkway in the back yard. I am nervous about lifting the pavers because of my knee. But it feels like the right thing to work on. Looking out at this week, things are pretty quiet. I want to give hubs a shower before he gets too far into his so called medicine holiday. Because of his strong pain medication, he is required to go a week without it every month. Some months, he sails through it without pain or weakness. Some months, not. On not months, he has difficulty standing for his shower.

I used up one toothpaste, cut the tube in half and used it all up as well. I am starting on a new partly used toothpaste and will cut the tube in half today. Hubs never finishes a toothpaste tube because he can't squeeze strongly, so I have a lot of them.
rinty

Post by rinty »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:26 am Saturday am part 2 thoughts

Yesterday, there was a so called "climate walkout and strike" by teenagers. Some, after the "strike" pictures, show that these so called climate warrior haven't yet figured out how to pick up after themselves. What a mess they left behind. One of the sites I visit was all enthusiastic about the event. But I pointed out that they really just got a day off school and since they don't work or contribute anything to society calling it a strike was an amusing phrase. Of course I was challenged. "What did I do to combat climate change?" My reply was I have adapted and reduced my environmental footprint. Having a frugal mindset has really helped. I reduce, recycle and reuse. The 3 R's of the true environmental movement. And I try to be a good steward to the land. I am happy that I can be. Talk is cheap. Be an example of what you believe.
Oh dear. And you were surprised to be challenged ? Greta Thunberg is to be applauded and her influence on youngsters has been wonderful. They ARE making a differce...........one your newest grandchild will thank them for.

A for instance.........Burger King changing their giving away crap plastic small toys cos they recognise their target audience RESPECTS their stance ON CLIMATE CHANGE.

And Mcds apparently getting in on it ith their offer to change a crap plastic toy for fruit.

These have all been brought about through climate change protests............by kids.

So, you could just snark about them visiting your " sites " or you could applaud them, maybe for the sake of Newest Grandbaby.

Just a thought.