DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday evening

I probably pushed too hard. I was a bit low on energy today. I did push myself to finish a couple of things and a couple of things are not finished. I am not sure what to learn from this. Got a lot of cross talk in my head and ended up depressed.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

I asked my neighbor with a pick up truck to help me bring home 2 4x8 trellis that will be trimmed and made into fancy on the front soffit of my house. I suggested this morning since we are expecting rain over the next several days. We were going to leave at 8:30 am. But she called and wanted to leave at 7:45 because of traffic. We are going less than a mile away. I said no. Traffic is way worse at 7:45 am than 8:30 am. She was very nervous. I said we can do it another day. I had no idea this would upset her like this. Educational.

I can see this morning. I was surprised how long the eye fog from the dilation lasted. I do feel a little silly though. I had in my mind that I would take this time to mend some clothes. I totally didn't realize that I would not be able to see for the rest of the day. Well, if it rains as expected, I can do the mending today.

I didn't fix the normal eggs and bacon for breakfast and asked hubs to eat a sugar free yogurt instead. Just not feeling tip-top. Well, all the trash cans are filled with leaves and ready for 2 weeks worth of leaf disposal. I still have several piles in the front and about 6 piles in the back that will need disposal. But I am ahead of where I was this time last year. It feels good to do better.

The house is staying in the mid 70's. We are expecting a cool down over the next several days. Nothing dramatic, but I will be making crockpot turkey breast and cook beans in the same pot to be extra frugal. The warmth from the crockpot will assure the house temperatures stay nice. With the insulation and windows, the crockpot seems to raise the temperature about 1-2 degrees. They say we will get a much cooler next week. That will give me a chance to thaw my big turkey and cut it into pieces for later use. It will take 4 days to thaw, so I will get it out about Thursday. Jackielou's pantry challenge is so what I needed to get off the dime so to speak.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday evening

As I was sitting in the doctor's office yesterday waiting to be called back, I realized that I could put a narrow garden against the inside of the proposed picket fence. I already had 2 6ft long landscape timbers. I could use those inside the 8 ft long one I am using on the perimeter and create a 2 ft wide garden at the end of the rows. Before it started to rain this morning, I moved them into place. It looks great and creates a continuous garden area to put the irrigation line in. It gives me a bit more garden and solves the watering problem. Happy ending. I will need several more 6 ft ones for the rest of the inside rows, but I still have a little money on my gift card, so I may be able to get them cheap or free.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

Heading over to Home Depot shortly and will use up the last $5 on my gift card. Hope I can get 2 flawed landscape timbers. But see what is on the rack. However, I do need to go to publix and get tomatoes on sale. Last day.

Great rain yesterday. Good morning to do some planting and wait for the next storm this afternoon. Then after the afternoon rain passes, put out the leaf cans for disposal tomorrow. It feels like a plan is coming together. I have enough to meet the quota allowed and a few extra. I fill the extra ones in case I felt poorly for a longer while after the eye injection. I will fewer to fill next week.

Feeling like I am doing a super job of frugal although I still hold Janet up as the super frugal in the kitchen. Everyone need a role model and in the kitchen, it is Janet.

I absolutely have taken Jackielou pantry challenge to heart. I am seeing a lot of the shelf. Unfortunately, it looks like it need painting. Ha ha. Well, that sounds like an interesting idea. I will have to check out my paint supply. I am bad about buying a gallon of discounted paint here and there. I have some interesting colors. Maybe I should add some color to the pantry shelves instead of just white. Could be quite interesting.

The house is maintaining at mid 70's. Yesterday, it stayed below 70F outside, so system is working. The weekend is said to be quite warm and may raise the house temperature up a bit. That would be great. The cold snap is supposed to last maybe 48 hours. The house should be able to handle that especially if I am using the crockpot for turkey and beans and maybe making a pot of soup off the bones.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:33 am Wednesday am

Heading over to Home Depot shortly and will use up the last $5 on my gift card. Hope I can get 2 flawed landscape timbers. But see what is on the rack. However, I do need to go to publix and get tomatoes on sale. Last day.

Great rain yesterday. Good morning to do some planting and wait for the next storm this afternoon. Then after the afternoon rain passes, put out the leaf cans for disposal tomorrow. It feels like a plan is coming together. I have enough to meet the quota allowed and a few extra. I fill the extra ones in case I felt poorly for a longer while after the eye injection. I will fewer to fill next week.

Feeling like I am doing a super job of frugal although I still hold Janet up as the super frugal in the kitchen. Everyone need a role model and in the kitchen, it is Janet.

I absolutely have taken Jackielou pantry challenge to heart. I am seeing a lot of the shelf. Unfortunately, it looks like it need painting. Ha ha. Well, that sounds like an interesting idea. I will have to check out my paint supply. I am bad about buying a gallon of discounted paint here and there. I have some interesting colors. Maybe I should add some color to the pantry shelves instead of just white. Could be quite interesting.

The house is maintaining at mid 70's. Yesterday, it stayed below 70F outside, so system is working. The weekend is said to be quite warm and may raise the house temperature up a bit. That would be great. The cold snap is supposed to last maybe 48 hours. The house should be able to handle that especially if I am using the crockpot for turkey and beans and maybe making a pot of soup off the bones.
DG thanks for the complement. I do love being frugal and try to make things work out with what I have. I wish I had the energy and skill to create the outdoor projects that you create..
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am

Using the last of the HD gift card, I got 2 landscape timbers for 70c. The one timber was 70% off since the end of damaged. I wanted them 6 rather than 8 ft, so cutting off the end was no big deal and the first cut is free at Home Depot. Now I can complete the last 2 garden beds with the 2 ft garden at the end. I will place them today after I get the privacy lattice I ordered for the house soffit decorations.

We are now aiming for 4 days of warm weather. Cooking will be in the skillet to reduce house heat and energy. It looks like I have at least 3 more meals of 99c/lb chicken breasts which will use up a tray of them. That leaves 2 trays in the freezer. The large whole turkey will take 4 days to thaw. As the temperature begins to drop on Monday if they are right, it might be a good time to boil some of the turkey fat back and make broth in the evening. Maybe include boiling the giblets. Be like Janet and use everything or at least try to reduce waste. Tuesday is not supposed to warm up. Time to cut and cook the bones with celery. Probably cook a thigh leg for Tuesday night dinner. They are not that big anymore on most turkeys. Wednesday is the coldest day. More cooking. Wednesday night will be a turkey breast. Well, that leaves one turkey thigh/leg and one turkey breast plus broth. And an almost empty chest freezer. We have a cool down on the 21 March maybe. If so, another turkey breast day. Well, that is the plan.