DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday night

I must have read 40 pages and watched 10 videos and endured a number of commercials and ads. The easiest way to solve my overflow problem with the gutter is to mess with the last gutter connector. It never sealed properly, so shouldn't be hard to wiggle it loose and then attach a rain chain to it. It looks easy to place the chain on a pin and glue it down. I will have to get up and look at the specific design issues inside the gutter. Put that on my after holiday list since the ladder is unkind to my knee. After I install the rain chain and confirm it is working as expected, I can decide on a rain barrel for the location. Certainly, I will start with just a garbage can to see how much water is diverted from the end. This is an excellent solution, at least in theory.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:14 pm Saturday night

I must have read 40 pages and watched 10 videos and endured a number of commercials and ads. The easiest way to solve my overflow problem with the gutter is to mess with the last gutter connector. It never sealed properly, so shouldn't be hard to wiggle it loose and then attach a rain chain to it. It looks easy to place the chain on a pin and glue it down. I will have to get up and look at the specific design issues inside the gutter. Put that on my after holiday list since the ladder is unkind to my knee. After I install the rain chain and confirm it is working as expected, I can decide on a rain barrel for the location. Certainly, I will start with just a garbage can to see how much water is diverted from the end. This is an excellent solution, at least in theory.
I am always amazed at how you find a situation and then go in to research to solve the problem. Wishing you good luck on your current problem.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you Janet. I love this kind of thing. It is like solving a mystery. You have clues and you visualize the situation. And hunt for the "culprit".
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

The house has dropped to 72F overnight while outside temperatures have dropped to 48F or so. This appears to be the pattern now that I have added the exterior wood storms to the north windows and the additional wind chill barriers. In particular, the north wall has responded well to my efforts. The way I measure the walls is with wall temperature gauges. Hubs thinks I should get a couple more to accurately evaluate the situations. So if I find one I really like, I will buy it. Every degree that we don't lose in the house is a degree I don't need to heat. Frugal savings.

Last night, I began to study the power of wood as insulation especially on windows. It turns out that wood has many times the insulation capacity of common storm window materials. Unfortunately, it does not transmit light. So those with an issue about windows get upset. Plastic over the windows is pretty much a waste of time. Of course, the idea is to create a dead space, a good insulation technique. However, it actually fails to create that space due to its transmission of cold air. Some people say it works. Well it might reduce the draft effect a bit, but a lot of it is delusional. Hey, I have been fooled like everyone else.

I don't really have enough time before my trip to execute my plan, but at least, I have the ideas forming. The week with my son here was a write off on plans. When I get into a project, being disturbed makes me cranky. So I didn't get any plans done. Although he was in a hotel, he usually showed up at 8:30 am and spent the day. So nothing got done. But he was worth it.

Meanwhile, hubs wants me to add in a trip to Fedex to return something he bought that doesn't work. He doesn't realize how one little extra chore takes a lot of time. It seems like so many around me think I am doing nothing all the time. Very frustrating.

The rules on cooling a house are similar, but not.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday-end of day

I got a lot of my list done. I colored my hair, went to the grocery store, put about 10 tomato plants in the ground, watered, did dishes. I won't feel like doing anything after they are through with me tomorrow. Both eyes dilated and examined plus injection. Eye doesn't feel like it is seeing well right now, but maybe after a good night's sleep. My hair color came out pretty good. No grey to be seen. Although it is a blonde color, it comes out with a kiss of red and it suits my skin color well. I didn't get all my tomatoes taken care of. I will have to wait until the end of the week before I can do that. No water or dust/dirt until the hole in my eye heals. Holiday cards in the mail or ready to mail tomorrow. Well, tired. Off to bed. Early appointment.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am

I was tired and didn't do any reading last night. Military son Skyped and we chatted a bit. I had a good discussion with hubs concerning the several factors regarding insulation, heat loss etc. It showed that I needed to clearly define these terms. I tend to just gloss over such things since I know what I am talking about.

Today, I will sleep a lot as I usually do after an injection. Too bad since it is going to be a do something day. I hate losing pretty days. There just aren't enough of them.

The rest of the week will be dependent on how things go today.