DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday-am

Home Depot has instituted a bunch of stupid rules. If you want a cart rather than a basket, there is no way to get it. They are stored at the exit point which is a long ways from the only entrance. If you go out to get one, you can't come back in. A cashier had to go out and get one for me. Normally, I check out at the pro desk, but you can't anymore. And you need to use the website or phone to place an order and then wait at the service desk to get it filled sometime in the future. I have had 2 bad experiences with the service desk. One time, I ordered some stuff online and they were supposed to contact me when it came in. They never did. I finally called them and they said it had been there quite a while. As a result I missed an opportunity to work with a great handyman who is no longer available and I am left with the materials. The second time, I sent a contractor to pick up the order and they couldn't find it. I had to go to the store myself and get it. The project was delayed as a result. So I am headed to Lowe's today to do a recon. If they have the same kind of stupid rules, I want to know it before going. Home Depot did not have the materials I wanted either. I wanted concrete caps for the tops of the concrete blocks. They only had a few and most were broken. I also needed some fence posts. They had one.

I am ready for this to be over.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday-am

When Home Depot had one fence post, I bought the plastic push in posts that they are selling because I needed 6. They looked flimsy and almost the same price as the metal ones, so a rip off in my mind. Well I used them yesterday to construct a fence front for my garden to discourage dogs and kids from running in my front yard garden. I used 2 of the discounted plastic 2 ft wide trellis that I bought a year ago.I put them in horizontally, instead of vertically. It worked out ok. It looks ok from the street if you don't look hard. The recently transplanted tomatoes and peppers look ok too. I moved a dozen or so volunteer snapdragons from the shade to more sun. They weren't blooming. About half said yes. The rest said oh no. I also trimmed vines off of the fence and trimmed the sugar cane and disposed of the trimmings. I was moving most of the day.

I missed the window of solar hot water yesterday. It was still warm when I rinsed grease off the dishes, but I had to wash them inside last night to get them clean. I put the wash water in the garden. My DIY trashcan/rain barrels are about half empty. Rain is expected tomorrow. I have really reduced well pump use with them. Frugal savings. Also no ac, so more electricity savings.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am

I got quite a bit done yesterday. I wanted to finish the shade area, but I had to re-position a couple of poles and then the sun caught me. I don't do the sun here when I can avoid it. I have everything cut and ready to go.

It looks like I used between 50-60 gallons of water during the last 4 days to water plants based on the water levels in the DIY rain barrels. It is raining now, so the water will be replenished. I also got the leaves off the one section of the roof.

One of the blinds on the front window fell down last night. Of course, it was put up improperly to start with. So today, I need to get a couple of anchors and put it up correctly. For all the stuff I have, I don't have the right sized sheetrock anchors for these screws. So I will have to go out and hunt for some.

Today, I will cook the last turkey breast. That will be food for a couple of days.