DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

Yesterday was not frugal. My girlfriend is in town and we traveled to the beach. Free. But lunch was ouch. Saw the Lippazan stallion show, well part of it for $5. All day, no work. Sun was setting when we got back. Early bed.

I do plan on a trip to the grocery store. I promised hubs a dozen hard boiled eggs to eat while I was on my trip. Need to buy them. And maybe a few other things.

When I return, it will be time to start on the big projects. Also get this knee looked at.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am

Just treading water until I leave. I have to color my hair and assemble my stuff. Not taking on any projects. Hubs is cooking with his new skillet. So he should be able to get by ok. His vegetables will be the steam in bag ones. Not the most frugal choice, but reasonable for his handicap. Easier than opening a can.

Someone said that I must worry about potential leaching of lime from the concrete blocks. I can't get any consensus on it. So since the bed in the front will have azalea which like an acid soil, I must consider lining the inside of the blocks. In a way, it will make it a better water barrier in a flood. So that will be a task when I get back.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

Last post for awhile. Hubs and bedding are washed. Hair is colored. The boxed color is not that strong and I never get the color on the label, but it is more even and less grey showing. But for $3 not a bad deal. I do not do beauty parlors. Way too expensive for me.

I wish that I did not have to travel during the growing season. In Florida, it is spring, fall and winter. However, the dances I want to attend only run spring, fall and winter. They close down for the summer, the typical travel time for most people. This spring, I really didn't plant anything that could not afford to die if we had a drought. Doesn't look like we will have a drought here. Rainy weather day predicted every week. Hubs has proven reliable to water during my trips.

I have pretty much concluded that my days of dancing are over. I am too busy here and finding a dance partner who only wants dance is too much work. And there is too much work to do around here all the time. Old dance partner intends to visit Florida over Christmas and we will take a road trip to the Keys. I like that plan and I hope it happens. When you get old, you always know tomorrow is not certain.

Well, off to get this day going.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:53 am Wednesday am

Last post for awhile. Hubs and bedding are washed. Hair is colored. The boxed color is not that strong and I never get the color on the label, but it is more even and less grey showing. But for $3 not a bad deal. I do not do beauty parlors. Way too expensive for me.

I wish that I did not have to travel during the growing season. In Florida, it is spring, fall and winter. However, the dances I want to attend only run spring, fall and winter. They close down for the summer, the typical travel time for most people. This spring, I really didn't plant anything that could not afford to die if we had a drought. Doesn't look like we will have a drought here. Rainy weather day predicted every week. Hubs has proven reliable to water during my trips.

I have pretty much concluded that my days of dancing are over. I am too busy here and finding a dance partner who only wants dance is too much work. And there is too much work to do around here all the time. Old dance partner intends to visit Florida over Christmas and we will take a road trip to the Keys. I like that plan and I hope it happens. When you get old, you always know tomorrow is not certain.

Well, off to get this day going.
Dg enjoy your dancing and away from home for a while fun.. You have earned it..
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday noon

I think I am back. I say think because I don't feel quite prepared to work. I must take care of my knee problem now and get the new doctor. Next week, I get an eye shot for my Mac. Degeneration and that is not something I look forward to since it seems to put me in bed for the day. First 24 hours was getting in fresh vegetables. That was surprisingly difficult. I sure hope better looking ones show up. I did get some asparagus, cucumbers, but no lettuce. So hubs gets to eat yogurt for lunch which he is fine with. I did buy some pollack fish which I really like and is very cheap. Yum, last night. I watered the gardens a bit yesterday and went to bed early, but didn't sleep well. We are due for windy storm today and it invaded my dreams. It also means a day to stay home. Hubs ate up most of the food I had for him, so we will be a bit challenged meal wise. I have hamburger, cheap steaks and the fish. And a turkey breast. Enough to get through the holiday weekend and probably to the next shopping mailer on Tuesday.

My new to me freezer is close to empty, so I took the opportunity to move some of the distilled water jugs that I bought for last hurricane season to the freezer to make ice in case we have a power outage. The water was due to expire next month. I had intended to defrost the freezer, but it doesn't look that bad right now.

Old dance partner has decided that he would rather do a cruise in the fall/winter than a road trip. He will probably change his mind again. We will see. We decided not to decide until after his upcoming trip to the Grand Canyon with his sister. That will be an interesting adventure. No love lost for her.

I need to build up my strength again. Dancing is wonderful, but it is not the strength I need to dig ditches etc. It was feel like 97F yesterday. I need to get use to that as well.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

Trying to get back into the mindset. I need to cut down 2 papaya that have compromised my irrigation system. I don't do destroying living things well anymore. It hurts to take any life. I am struggling with the decision.

Hubs is nice to be with again. I needed a vacation from him. I think he needed one from me too.

The storms that pushed through here yesterday lowered the temperature. It is in the 60's outside. I don't go out in the 60's. It is winter and I don't like winter. But it is a great opportunity to slow cook a turkey. So turkey for dinner. The house which was sitting at 79F yesterday is down to 76F. Cooking inside will raise the temperature back up, I hope. Tomorrow will be warmer.

Because it is so cold, I may not do much outside. That is ok. I still need to finish unpacking. I find unpacking to be more difficult than packing. So I will put energy into the inside of the house.

Lowe's has a sale on landscape timbers. It is across the street from Aldi's. I am without enough fresh vegetables. Sometimes, Aldi's has good vegetable buys. It is the only thing I buy from them regularly. Too far away to visit weekly...unless Lowe's has something I want. I may have to go out to save a lot because I am out of cucumbers and I want to pick up some more canned vegetables. I like to eat 2 cucumbers a day for lunch.

Thinking about food.