DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

I got the big stand of trash trees cut down and most of the smaller stand. The smaller stand is wrapped with stink vine and pulling off the vine was exhausting. And of course, I take a break once the sweat starts dripping off my face. Drink water and take a salt tablet. Heat index 106F. I am about ready for another trashcan to fill. It feels good to get that part of the yard under control. There are a couple of more spots in need of work.

I was surprised that the roast took an extra hour to get tender.I figured cooking out on the hot porch would cook things faster or use less power. I guess I don't know much about how the slow cooker works. But the beans seemed to stay firm even with the extra cooking. I added a beef bouillon cube to the slow cooker since the meat was so lean. It really made the meat taste great. I only got one pint of beans for future meals. They were very good with the juice. I am tempted to get a couple of more roasts while they are on sale.

Rain is promised for later this week although we may have gotten a sprinkle last night from all the sky growling around us. I will have to water the garden this morning. My garden is not impressive right now. But it is growing.

I feel sad when people accuse me or others of things I or they didn't do. But I remember that hateful people always find something to hate even if they need to make it up. How horribly sad it is that they spend their precious time on earth hating. That is why random acts of kindness are so important. It dispels the darkness.

There is no evidence of a recession here in the US. And it appears that a large percent of the population doesn't listen to or believe the media that is pushing a recession apparently for political reasons. It is apparent that Frugalmon has a good head on her shoulders regarding the economy. I am glad she posted on the matter.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am pt 2

I decided to walk with my neighbor. I wore a new pair of shoes and they were very comfortable. I will likely use them on my upcoming trip. Hubs is going for his walk now and I have the skillet out and the extra beef fat out to warm. I generally add a spoonful of beef fat to the skillet because there is no fat in the turkey bacon and hubs likes his bacon crispy.

I checked out the plywood the neighbor has out for free pickup. Most of it is not real plywood. It is that fiberboard that is popular. Can't think of its name, at the moment. There are a couple of small pieces of plywood in the pile and if I feel like it, I may go down with my hand truck and take them. But we will see how the day goes.

I plan to post more to my journal and less to the daily check in. I feel happier here in my own journal. I guess that I will just go ahead and cook the fava beans and see what happens. I am always looking for discounted dry beans. Here, they are usually more than a $1 a pound. So when I can get them for 75c a pound I buy them. Right now I have a big bag of pinto beans, a bag of black beans, a half bag of red kidney beans and the pound of fava beans. I might just have a piece of smoked turkey tail buried in the freezer. If I do, I will cook a bag of beans just to have some in the freezer as a side. Thinking on it.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

3 trashcans full of weeds and a much more tidy yard. I am not going walking this morning. The walking plus the yard work was too hard on the knee. I had pain last night. So I cancelled walking for today.

Yesterday, I went down to Winn-dixie to buy 2 more on sale beef roasts. They were out, but gave me a raincheck. The new ad came out and turkey breasts are on sale. And another $5 off coupon. Well, looks like I will go shopping this weekend. I figure 3 turkey breasts totaling about $25. Plus 2 raincheck beef roasts totaling another $20. will be all I need to make the $5 off coupon. Hubs doesn't want me to fill the freezer in case we have a hurricane and power loss.

I watered the garden via the irrigation lines I built and installed. It is so easy to use. I also put bleach down on the portion of the front patio that stays in the shade. Bleach kills off the algae and doesn't damage the patio concrete. I just brushed it around with a broom, but decided to buy a good stiff bristle push broom to get it cleaner. I got a lot done yesterday.

Used about half a pint of the pinto beans in the Mexican ground beef meal last night. Still enough beans to be a good side. Have a bit of the roast left. I see it with some fresh broccoli in a couple of days. I sure hope the broccoli is still a good price at Walmart Market. I have to go down that way for hub's prescriptions later this week. Tonight will be ground beef burgers most likely. Tomorrow, I would like to use up the misc. pieces of fish I have in the freezer. Altogether they will make a meal.

Since I have made an effort to reduce the fat in ground beef meals by spooning off some the the excess, I have not had any tummy discomfort. I also added a fiber tablet with dinner. Of course, I am saving the extra fat for bacon and eggs. Waste not. Want not.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am part 2

I honored 9/11 by not posting to any social media during that tragic period. I am staying inside for the most part since I have a dental appointment this afternoon and don't want to be sweaty. Today I recycled 6 more used up room scent gels. I pulled the solid spent gel off the plastic tube and recycled the plastic into the recycle bin and the sold gel into the recycled netting off a turkey. I hung the recycled netting in front of the little fan I turn on in this room when I type. It immediately scented the room. Very nice. Waste not. Want not.

I am planning on buying a ginger plant called the shampoo ginger. It produces a liquid that people use as a shampoo. I will keep my eye out for it.

I have recovered a lot of great soil from the kiddie pool garden experiment. I still have more to collect, but I am pleased with my success and my knee. Clearly though, I am not able to both walk a mile and work in the yard yet.

I sure hope this dental procedure works well. We are trying to save a tooth that is pretty far gone. Not even enough to cap. If this does not work, the tooth will need to be extracted. I don't look forward to that.

I have decided to make an appointment for my yearly checkup. I get a $25 gift card if I do it. I will also ask for 2 stool tests. Hubs is due back to see his doctor in October or November. We can do them and take them to the doctors at that time. We get a gift card for that as well.

I need to get busy and order my gift cards from credit card points. Things to do.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday afternoon

Back from the dentist. I am not sure I can eat with this numb mouth. Not sure if I am chewing food or my cheek. Decided not to talk on the phone either. A portion of my lips are numb. Probably would sound drunk.

Did talk to old dance partner and he did make an appointment. He will see a doctor tomorrow about his headaches, dizziness and sleepiness. I sure hope it is nothing, but I sure think it might be something.

Going to take it easy the rest of the day. Think I will just have yogurt for dinner. I don't want to chew anything right now although the dentist said I could.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am

The dental procedure went well. And the numbness went away by early evening, so I ate a little. He hopes to save the tooth for a couple of years. Amazing how far dentistry has come in my lifetime.

I walked with nursery neighbor and her husband in the evening. I had walked over to look at the plywood and the pieces I wanted were gone. Turns out her husband took them, but he won't share because he said I am a "packer". Well, I guess I am sort of a pack rat. Well, it is all good. They said that the free rain barrel from the county split. Wow. I have one as well. But it is not currently in use. I will have to think on it and see if mine is as fragile. Educational.

Hubs got the last 2 pieces of frozen fish last night. I couldn't eat yet. He said they were fine. Tonight, we will have ground beef burgers with pickles.

Today, they pick up the yard trash/weeds that I pulled up. I am very happy to have done that much, especially in the record heat these last few days. I plan to walk a bit with my neighbor this morning. And then work in the yard this afternoon. A brief trip to Home Depot to get a hard bristle push broom and a couple of things. Tidy the house in between. Another bright, sunny day ahead. Time to make more solar tea. A full day.

I found a nice looking metal stand in the neighbor's trash pile. I have a use for it so I picked it up. Neighbor who called me a packer saw me with it and said the trash lady is at it again. I laughed. I am ok with the label. Good enough for my grandmother. Good enough for me.