DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:24 am

Tuesday

Did some more research on the shutter style. Came across one that hubs and I both liked. I copied it to my computer photo album for future reference. I think I will go with red and white and black on the front of the house metal lattice work.

I am happy to recycle the leaves from my front yard grand oak into the front yard flower beds. I am building more beds where there is sun now that my larger oak on the north side was knocked down by Irma. I am building a mulch path around them. Recycling plastic garden soil bags as underlayment for the paths feels good.

As soon as I get my 5000 points and use it for $5 off, I will change our prescriptions from Walgreens to the CVS up the street. Then I will be able to walk there to pick up scripts instead of drive. Walking is my plan.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:59 am

Today the bank moves from 4 miles away to across the street. Another motivation to walk. Tomorrow, they are having an open house celebrating the merger and I figure it will be a good time to check out the walk. I have to cross a busy road. On the way back, check out the produce stand. Made more toilet paper cardboard plant pots this morning. Have stopped at Starbucks several times this week for free used coffee grounds. Very nice.

Got to get moving on the new front window. I want it in by hurricane season in July.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:14 am

Friday

Today, I will test recycling paper egg trays into planting pots. They are cut and ready to fill. I will see if the bank merger worked. I will deposit some money in our checking account at the new bank. See if it works. Do it by car at the drive through since I need to avoid the sun. I hate avoiding the sun. Sure hope I brown up fast. Since I am stuck inside, I may continue organizing the laundry room. It is good, but not finished. Lots of things inside need to be decluttered and put away.

Also I plan to make dinner outside over the fire pit today. Frugal use of downed oak limbs. I had hoped to cook outside a lot more, but so far, not happening. But I have hope. The year is still young.

I saved a couple of pieces of paper from yesterday's mail. They had a blank side which I can reuse. :) I need to work on organizing the reuse paper. So much paper.

One of my plastic outside trash cans is showing wear. I use these 3 for leaf transport and twigs to the weekly recycle garden green trash pickup. I have 2 retired plastic trashcans waiting to become compost makers. Both were free, curbside pickups. Need to get on that and fill a bunch more pots with partly composed leaves.

Lots to do. Off to start. Feeling frugal.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:58 am

Saturday

I am surprised how long it took to plant seeds yesterday. In part, I did have to stop and make more planter trays from my foam egg cartons. I am pleased at how well the paper egg cartons absorb water. Watching the color of the paper tells me the moisture level. Educational.

While I push forward on many fronts, I never seem to get anything actually done. But done is an illusion. And I have to remind myself of that. I have all the leaves in piles until more fall or the wind brings the neighbor's leaves into the yard. And now the pollen tassels begin. I will have to take my car to the $3 car wash in a couple of weeks in order to see out of the windows. The car wash does a better job than I can do. Pollen is water repellent.

I think I will have to transplant the sunflowers to bigger pots today. I don't want to put them in the beds yet. The beds are very dry even with watering and they will suck the moisture out of plant. The tomatoes are still doing ok in the pots, so I can give them a bit more time. I have decided on the colors of the plants against the neighbor's white plastic fence. The ground will be dominated by deep pink hardy vinca. Next up will be the blue plumbago bushes, then the tall mostly yellow canna, red sunflowers above with sky blue morning glories on my chain link fence. Well, that is the plan.

I could have gone to a plant sale for a garden club this morning, but I decided that I have a full plate of plants to deal with right now. So stay home day and work on my garden.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:03 am

Sunday

Yesterday was a frugal day and I made progress on several fronts. I decided to reuse the 4x4 that had nails in them that I couldn't get out to edge my entrance way to the south side door. The nails are pointed down into the ground. I also transplanted the sunflowers to larger pots. I planted 18 more seeds into homemade pots. Soaked moonflowers and Mexican sunflowers were planted. Avoided the mid day sun though.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:07 am

Tuesday

I looked online for ideas to reuse dryer lint. Not much there. Nothing useful. Today, I will capture(dig up) as many wild flowers growing in the yard as possible and move them to my wildflower/butterfly bed. Also throw some more of the marigold seeds I collected last fall. Some have sprouted in the places I put them, but not as many as I had hoped. I did learn a new thing from the online search. I crush egg shells for my garden. I tried using a coffee grinder and it made the shells very fine and dusty. Not quite ok. I read that I could use an old door knob to crush shells. I have old door knobs. :) I will start doing this. Great idea.

Since it will cool down next week, I want to get out a couple of already stored blankets and air them on the line. Collecting birthday coupons. I am waiting for one more. :)

I am glad to hear that they are no longer predicting high winds on Thursday. Still a bit windy by my standards, but acceptable to the little plants. I am behind on some aspects of my garden, but I did not anticipate the early leaf drop this record warm weather created. Well, I just need to be flexible.

I am thinking about night lighting. My computer alarm is set to 5:30 am to get up and take my thyroid pill. The next alarm is set to 6:30 when I can have coffee. The third alarm is set to 7:30 am when it is time to get hubs up. Turning on bright lights at 5:30 am is uncomfortable. I need to see to get the pill, but I don't need that much light. Thinking on it.

It seems that I am developing a pattern of one day hard work in the garden. The next day kind of lazy. Interesting. Guess it is an old woman thing.