DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday am

I sure hope I can kick this sad mood to the curb and get something done today. A neighbor has suggested a iron fence instead of a picket fence in my garden area. I said I didn't think I could afford that. She said it would be more like New Orleans. She is right, but.....
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am,

Feeling better. Today, I will re-paint the front soffit. Although it was painted this spring, I want to give it an extra coat before the fancy goes on it. Also paint the front of the iron columns for the same reason. That will probably be tomorrow. Weather will be great.

We finished off the tray of chicken breasts. I had one leftover, but I need two for a meal, so I froze it. Tonight will be discounted steaks, $2.59 a pound. A good price for boneless ribeye. Tomorrow will be ground beef and Monday? See what condition the turkey in the refrigerator is in and make a decision then. I am thinking that I will cook up a mess of dry beans with the turkey fat off the back and the giblets on Monday. I like giblets and turkey fat. And beans cooked from dry beans are so tasty. Hubs doesn't like giblets. So I will make him chili. Chili doesn't agree with me anymore, so that should be a win-win.

I want to rake up leaves, but I will hold off on that until Tuesday or Wednesday. I already have lots of piles raked and basically, I just need to put them in cans. I should be able to fill up all my cans before Thursday morning pickup. Sounds like a plan.

I am working on my garden a bit at the time. Not really a big hurry since I don't want to plant anything before my trip. I dumped leaves in a couple of beds and during March, I will fill the beds the rest of the way with decomposed free mulch. When I return in mid-April, everything should be nice and ready to go. I don't have to decide on the decorative fence for quite awhile, so I won't.

Thanks to the pantry challenge, one shelf of the pantry is cleared. I am going to paint it probably on Monday when the weather outside is supposed to be blustery. I have decided to use up a sample of paint I got to test the color of my door. It is unlikely to be enough to do all the shelves. After thinking about it, I thought why have them all the same color anyways. This should be interesting. I like painting stuff. The weather has been good for painting, but I knew I needed to focus on the leaves. And I am no longer able to multiple things and get them all done. I get tired much too quickly these days.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:36 am Saturday am,

Feeling better. Today, I will re-paint the front soffit. Although it was painted this spring, I want to give it an extra coat before the fancy goes on it. Also paint the front of the iron columns for the same reason. That will probably be tomorrow. Weather will be great.

We finished off the tray of chicken breasts. I had one leftover, but I need two for a meal, so I froze it. Tonight will be discounted steaks, $2.59 a pound. A good price for boneless ribeye. Tomorrow will be ground beef and Monday? See what condition the turkey in the refrigerator is in and make a decision then. I am thinking that I will cook up a mess of dry beans with the turkey fat off the back and the giblets on Monday. I like giblets and turkey fat. And beans cooked from dry beans are so tasty. Hubs doesn't like giblets. So I will make him chili. Chili doesn't agree with me anymore, so that should be a win-win.

I want to rake up leaves, but I will hold off on that until Tuesday or Wednesday. I already have lots of piles raked and basically, I just need to put them in cans. I should be able to fill up all my cans before Thursday morning pickup. Sounds like a plan.

I am working on my garden a bit at the time. Not really a big hurry since I don't want to plant anything before my trip. I dumped leaves in a couple of beds and during March, I will fill the beds the rest of the way with decomposed free mulch. When I return in mid-April, everything should be nice and ready to go. I don't have to decide on the decorative fence for quite awhile, so I won't.

Thanks to the pantry challenge, one shelf of the pantry is cleared. I am going to paint it probably on Monday when the weather outside is supposed to be blustery. I have decided to use up a sample of paint I got to test the color of my door. It is unlikely to be enough to do all the shelves. After thinking about it, I thought why have them all the same color anyways. This should be interesting. I like painting stuff. The weather has been good for painting, but I knew I needed to focus on the leaves. And I am no longer able to multiple things and get them all done. I get tired much too quickly these days.
Good to hear you are feeling better. I know it is easy sometimes to let things get us down.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thanks Janet. Grief comes in waves. And if you ride them out, they diminish over time. If you fight them, the grow in size. So the next wave should be smaller.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

Things are proceeding as expected. That is always comforting. Of course, I would like to get more done than I am getting done. Accepting old age never really gets easy, at least for me.

Today will be painting soffit and prepping for iron painting later in the week. Tonight will be ground beef burgers with a side of the last of the black beans. Tomorrow, I will soak more black beans to make with the turkey fat in the evening. I poked the turkey yesterday and it depressed slightly. Not thawed, but getting there. Since I will be out on Monday to that seminar of stem cells, I may stop on the way back at Walmart and get a couple of months of conditioner salt and a couple of additional paint brushes. Then stop at save a lot and get some pinto beans at 75c/lb if they are still that cheap. Well, we will see. If the weather is too nasty, I will come straight home.

Although, I had planned a theme of country in the kitchen area, I am beginning to think it will end up more Caribbean once I start painting inside. I have a lot of daps of paint to use up and most of in colors that could go with the Islands. Could be interesting.

When the house was painted in the spring, I bought paint in 5 gallon buckets. The professionals prefer that. They used all but about a quart of a bucket. I painted the soffit yesterday with it in the 5 gallon bucket, but I decided to transfer the remainder to a jar or small container for today and wash out the bucket. They are lovely buckets suitable for garden flowers. So I left it to soak outside with water in it in hopes of it getting a bit cleaner. I hope the leftover transferred white milk colored paint will be enough to do a final coat on the soffit. I have one unopened 5 gallon container of paint. I have a large shed and it needs paint. Maybe later this year. This month will be devoted to getting the leaves all done and the garden bed with a layer of leaves and mulch. Then it is off to frolic on the dance floor with old friends.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

Well, Monday did not go as planned. It was too warm to mess with the turkey. The house was at 77F and that is just too warm to add heat to. This morning, a different story. The dropping temperatures and the house is down to 74F. So got the beans on to soak. Black beans, $1.75 for 2 pounds. A deal here where beans are rarely that cheap per pound. Sometimes pinto beans are that cheap, but hubs doesn't like pinto beans. And this afternoon, tear into the thawed turkey and cook down fat and a leg and thigh for dinner. Hungry already.

Today, I plan to paint the one empty pantry shelf. I may do 2. It is a mood thing.

I had planned to gather leaves already piled into the trash cans for Thursday disposal, but we are expecting rain today. I had hoped that yesterday's rains were all we would get, but the radar says no. So tomorrow will be a big hurry up leaf day.

This is the last cold front for Florida. By the weekend, back into the 80's. And a good time to put away the winter window coverings. Some might say they are needed in the summer for the heat, but an excellent study for a Florida university showed that when the temperature delta is less than about 15 degrees, wall insulation is not worth it. I am going to extend that to my double pane windows. Since in the summer, we keep the house at 82F, the outside temperatures are rarely more that 97F, so not worth keeping the coverings out.

I have pretty much finished the kitty related stuff. I emptied her 2 litter boxes of the last fresh litter and gave the fresh litter to my nervous neighbor to give to her cat friend. I put the litter boxes outside to wash out. Took the stuffing out of her home made bed. It was shredded paper, so it will recycle. Wash the pillowcase and put it away or recycle it. I am conflicted over her little house. I may keep it or not. Every decision is depressing, it seems.