DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

The turkey is cut up and most put away. It was a big turkey. The bones are in a pot steaming on the stove. It would be nice to have that finished by mid day. I had wings and giblets with the beans last night. It was enough meat for me. Glad to see it not wasted. Tonight, we will have the turkey thigh and leg along with some soup, I hope. cooking down the bones today means I can get them out to the trash for tomorrow's pickup. That is nice.

The house is down to 70F. Outside it is close to 40F. Overnight, the house lost 3 degrees. The goal today is to get it warmed up a bit before another cold night. Cooking soup and turkey hopefully will help.

I did not paint shelves yesterday. That turkey took a lot longer to process than I had planned. It was afternoon suddenly and the clean up took a long time. Hubs got his chili. And I checked the canned chili beans and they do need to be used up. Most of the beans were bought as part of the hurricane season in 2018. I was a little surprised that they expired so quickly. Season starts in June and that is when I watch for sales on canned goods.

This appears to be the end of winter for us. The last frost day is March 15th, so this has technically been within normal parameters. But it sure has felt like winter has lasted a long time this year.

I need to get the car in for an oil change. I have to wait on it and I am not interested in doing that in the cold. Friday looks like a warm day. I may see if I can schedule it for that day.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

I am glad I am not trying to walk anymore. I really enjoy my quiet mornings with coffee.

I have all my cans filled with leaves and I began on the mulch pile yesterday. My back was tired, but I am being careful with twisting. I was surprised that the doc said twisting is what brings a lot of older women into his office. Educational moment. I don't want to visit the doctor soon again.

As I was working in the yard yesterday, I found my thoughts returning to something the snowbird neighbor said. She termed the flower bed on the property line "our" flowerbed. So I asked hubs to confirm it was on our property by looking at the property survey. It appears we are well within our property line. I intend to plant a couple of trees in that bed and if she sells, I don't want them cut down.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:46 am
Wednesday am

I am glad I am not trying to walk anymore. I really enjoy my quiet mornings with coffee.

I have all my cans filled with leaves and I began on the mulch pile yesterday. My back was tired, but I am being careful with twisting. I was surprised that the doc said twisting is what brings a lot of older women into his office. Educational moment. I don't want to visit the doctor soon again.

As I was working in the yard yesterday, I found my thoughts returning to something the snowbird neighbor said. She termed the flower bed on the property line "our" flowerbed. So I asked hubs to confirm it was on our property by looking at the property survey. It appears we are well within our property line. I intend to plant a couple of trees in that bed and if she sells, I don't want them cut down.
Dg Vacuuming and sweeping are two other things I use to caution my patients not to do when having a back problem. With all of the manual labor you do I am surprised you do not have more problems with your back and knee.. Take it easy.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I had a neighbor that insisted that the trees on the property line were hers. I was told they were mine by the real estate people. Fast forward a few years and I wanted to put up a fence. The surveyor said not only are the trees yours about a foot of her garage and half of her driveway is on your property. Of course all of this was built before either one of us were born so there was nothing we could do about it.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thanks for the support, Janet. Well, not sure what to do about the property line thing. Think on it for awhile.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am

Yesterday was moderately productive. I got all the leaf cans out to the curb and again swept up acorns from the concrete front porch. Acorns on the concrete are like walking on marbles. Scary slippery and painful to the foot even through some shoes. Also, moved some mulch into the new front beds. I bought 2 more landscape timbers, at full price, unfortunately.

I can see the bottom of the chest freezer now and it looks like the meat will be used up before I leave as planned.

The green onions I planted have done poorly. I don't know why. I have a few more bulbs which I will plant in pots in hopes that they develop before the summer heat kills them.