DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:02 am

Wow. That would be great. I wonder who I contact.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:26 am

Tuesday

It is nice that it is warm. I can turn off the coffee pot after hubs has his second cup of hot coffee and still have warm coffee when I finish the pot. I also turn off the stove when cooking to let the residual heat finish the job. That is a bit more of a challenge to get right.

I am happy using my steamer again. It is so frugal. Cooks vegetables on top, boils other vegetables below and has wonderful enriched water for my favorite green pepper plant.

I am just amazed at the flowers blooming in the sink water dump tub. Snapdragons in several colors. But it is time to tidy my sink water container. It accumulates the grease around the edges and that does not go down the sink reducing the likelihood of grease blockages. I have extra used coffee filters from my free starbucks coffee haul. They make nice cleaning rags for one time use. Frugal feels so good.

Now that hubs is back on his pain medication, it is time for a shower. Of course, I catch the water and he has a water saving shower. The shower warming water is much needed by my plants right now. It is the dry season.

Today, I need to finish putting coffee grounds into the garden from several starbuck stops. I also get lovely big garbage bags with the coffee grounds. I also need to clean the cat food cans for recycle on Thursday. Put down my new cardboard and rake up some more leaves. Busy day ahead.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:34 am

Dgflorida wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:02 am
Wow. That would be great. I wonder who I contact.
Check with your trash company. For mom's house we pay once a year and it is $133/year for once a week pickup. I believe that twice a week the cost is about $200/year. So the once a week is not half price but still a good deal if you don't have much trash. With mom's company, either option includes once a week recycling pickup on a separate day.

If you've already paid for the year it might be hard to change but still ask. But if you pay quarterly or monthly you should be able to switch.

At my house we have twice a week pickup but there's no alternative because it is included in our monthly homeowners assn. fee.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:09 am

I think it is run by the county, so I may not have a choice. But I will check around. Thanks for the idea.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:38 am

Wednesday

I decided to move another tub to where I could dump sink water in it. It is a tub from the front that I planted sugar cane in. It did not do well. The tub was heavy, so I only moved it part way as I couldn't decide exactly where to put it. I have now decided and it will travel a bit more today. A future portable flower bed.

I didn't get all the planned yard play done. Very windy, kicking up dust. Raking leaves would have been futile. So same yard plan today. I hope shower day with lots of shower water for my garden. :)

Today is the day before recycle trash pickup. People put great things out sometimes. Last week, I got about a dozen great looking bromiliade flowers for under my tree. I have decided that taking a walk around the neighborhood on Wednesday afternoons would let me see what I could pick up. And it is good exercise too.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:47 am

Thursday

Nothing of interest in the neighborhood recycle trash according to my walk yesterday.

I moved the second tub(filled with sugar cane plants) into a place where I could easily walk out the back door and dump sink water. However, the plastic tub is in poor condition. I may have to rethink the idea and just recycle the dirt in it and throw away the brittle plastic. Think on it today.

I need to reconnect my irrigation system in the front and also the one in the back. Took it apart when I redesigned the areas. I may work on that today or not. But will put it on my list.

Hubs said I need to fix the 2nd toilet today because of the end of April visit from our son with children. I have not wanted to get into that project, but I will start talking to myself about it. I am conflicted about that bathroom. We don't need it and I really don't like the way it is arranged. Well, I will think on it.

Rule: Garden while you can. The heat and humidity is coming.