DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:25 am

Wednesday am

I researched bathrooms and didn't see what I want. I am going to have to put that off for the moment. Getting furniture moved around for hubs new computer will be the focus the next day or so.

Today, I will get in some much needed fresh vegetables. I will do it this morning while it is cool. Although I have ac in the car, I really don't like using it. So I do my shopping in the mornings before the car becomes an oven.

Although we missed the rain yesterday, I think my plants are watered enough. Since the rain chances are greater today, I will not water as usual. See what nature does.

I should get a call back from my potentially new doctor today to schedule an appointment. We will see.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:24 am

Thursday am

Well, the potential new doctor finally called back and said that I could use the visit as a well checkup, no fee and then said I couldn't do it until August. I could come in and pay the co pay. I said I didn't need a regular visit and saw no reason to pay for nothing. So I am stuck with the old doctor until August. The young lady thought I was annoyed with her. I said I wasn't annoyed, only frustrated. My insurance company told me 2 months ago that the 360 day rule did not apply. But the doctor's offices don't agree. Frustrating. Oh well. Actually, I am rethinking this doctor anyway. The idea that you call and no one answers and you must wait for a call back in 24 hours doesn't really excite me. I was 5 minutes from leaving the house to do some shopping. I could easily have missed the call and been on the go around of return calls. There are several other doctors accepting new patients. I think I will check them out. Meanwhile, I have decided to get a mole looked at and removed. I would need a dermatologist for that and I don't need a referral, so I will see if they can get me in. The mole hasn't really changed, but it is located where it gets rubbed and that is generally not a good thing.

I don't have any real plans for the rest of the week. I got the big, long table in the office area. Got hubs new computer positioned. I need to put the old shorter table somewhere. And continue working on getting the veneer off the side board to paint it. Sunday, I will get the 5 lb rolls of ground beef on sale and freeze them. I also want to trim hubs toenails. I will probably annoy my knee doing that. It is an awkward position.

We have been without rain for almost a month. It seems it is raining all around, but never here. I hope that will change soon.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:36 am

Dgflorida wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:24 am
Thursday am

Well, the potential new doctor finally called back and said that I could use the visit as a well checkup, no fee and then said I couldn't do it until August. I could come in and pay the co pay. I said I didn't need a regular visit and saw no reason to pay for nothing. So I am stuck with the old doctor until August. The young lady thought I was annoyed with her. I said I wasn't annoyed, only frustrated. My insurance company told me 2 months ago that the 360 day rule did not apply. But the doctor's offices don't agree. Frustrating. Oh well. Actually, I am rethinking this doctor anyway. The idea that you call and no one answers and you must wait for a call back in 24 hours doesn't really excite me. I was 5 minutes from leaving the house to do some shopping. I could easily have missed the call and been on the go around of return calls. There are several other doctors accepting new patients. I think I will check them out. Meanwhile, I have decided to get a mole looked at and removed. I would need a dermatologist for that and I don't need a referral, so I will see if they can get me in. The mole hasn't really changed, but it is located where it gets rubbed and that is generally not a good thing.

I don't have any real plans for the rest of the week. I got the big, long table in the office area. Got hubs new computer positioned. I need to put the old shorter table somewhere. And continue working on getting the veneer off the side board to paint it. Sunday, I will get the 5 lb rolls of ground beef on sale and freeze them. I also want to trim hubs toenails. I will probably annoy my knee doing that. It is an awkward position.

We have been without rain for almost a month. It seems it is raining all around, but never here. I hope that will change soon.
Regarding cutting your husbands toe nails. Can you sit in a chair and have your husband elevate his foot on a stool or maybe does his wheelchair have a leg rest you can use? You can use anything that give him elevation even a couple of bed pillows with a towel over it to give you something to catch the clippings that you can shake out.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:08 am

Thanks for the suggestion, Janet. I will give that a try.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:30 am

Friday am

Went to bed early, so up early. While we didn't get any rain, we did get the rain cooled air from the areas that did get the rain. Afternoon temperature dropped from 95F to 85F. The ac was quiet most of the rest of the day. That makes me happy.

Today, I will see how well my old rice cooker steams vegetables. I have a bit of asparagus on sale and I can take the steamer out on the porch and steam it there. The instructions suggest it is really fast. I am tired of frozen and canned vegetables. I could have tried this yesterday, but we had the last of the frozen pollack fish which I cook Cajun style and I love Cajun flavor green beans with it. Pollack fish is wild caught and very cheap for fish. About $8 for 32 oz. frozen fillets.

I will make multiple stops after visiting the chiropractor for my knee. Pick up hubs prescription and get the regular food list from Walmart market. In the mood to clean house. I hope the mood is still there after my errands.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:12 am

Saturday am

For some reason, my knee was annoyed last night and it made for a long, achey night. It did finally settle down.

I am excited to finally get some ground beef on sale. Head out there in an hour or so. Also buy some vegetables while I am out. I haven't tried to grow vegetables this spring. In part because I traveled for 2 weeks when they would have needed daily attention. Hubs could not have provided that. He didn't water as I asked him to and I lost my coco plums and the new growth on the brush cherry wilted. Plants just need care.

I am adapting to cleaning from a wheelchair. It is still a learning experience. But I figure this situation was a gift to tell me to adapt the kitchen for a wheelchair. So I will have a new kitchen in the fall. I decided to just adapt the lower cabinets and counter area. Even though the upper ones could use a change out, I just don't see the modification as really useful for a wheelchair. I know the designer will push it, but I don't see it as a value.

Now to think about the master bathroom. I have it mostly done. But I still don't see what I want with the bathroom sink area.