DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:12 am

Monday morning am

Sept well, slept hard. I need another pot of coffee this morning to wake up. I put in a call to the kitchen designer and am waiting a call back. I want to move on this before calling the extension agent about composting.

Knee lost a little ground from planting the tree. That is unfortunate and depressing. The night time low temperatures have been around 80F so the ac has run off and on at night. The humidity has dropped to 75%. I got a bit of a heat rash from the high humidity and I am treating it now. I discussed with hubs how we can avoid this in the future. It is a ongoing discussion.

The discussion about giving up electricity was interesting. Since I am scientific and know a bit about the current state of power generation, reduction in available energy is a consequence of the New Green Deal. I have followed scientific discussions on the matter and the technology is simply not there. Unless, we supplement with nuclear power, which the green idealists oppose, there will a lifestyle reduction in developed nations. And just like the yellow vest riots in France, it will be ugly. Well, I believe in using less power and I am changing my lifestyle to reflect it. Right now the simple result is saving money. Living with less conveniences means it takes more time to do basic things. Less time to do all those other things. Educational.

Plans for this week. Whole house sweeping and some floor mopping. I don't use an electric vacuum cleaner although I would use a manual rug sweeper if they were available. However, I am not sure how well it would clean vinyl floors. I have no rugs.

I need to continue cleaning the concrete. I use bleach and sweep it around with a broom. It does a fairly good job, but it takes a long time and needs to be repeated about every month during the rainy season.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:32 am

Dgflorida wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:20 am
Janet, I don't know if it was just the generic cabinets that she sent as a display, but I hope to discuss this with her. As I have downsized, I have learned to use vases to store kitchen cooking things on the countertop. But I feel resistant to storing all my eating utensils on the countertop. Thinking on this.

ALS is similar to what hubs is facing with his post-polio. This kitchen change will give him more independence and that is important to me. So far, door handles are not a problem, but sink faucet handles may become a problem in the future. Bathroom sinks are already converted over. Kitchen sink not yet. The big problem with doors was that they are hard to close from a wheelchair. So we have a 2 ft rope on each of them to use to pull the door shut. It is great. There is no longer a door to his bathroom, just glide in. Toilet has a plastic riser which is better for him than the ADA toilets. I have a walker turned backwards to provide handles on both sides when getting up off the toilet. Stable and sturdy. The house still has barriers, but fewer than before and I am constantly thinking of ways to reduce them.
My brother's, new to him house, has door knobs and yet they do not use them the doors can some how be pushed to open and closed without the use of the knobs. Not sure how they work but thought what a clever idea if I need to adjust mine. With me living alone it really is not necessary to close doors unless someone is visiting. My house really is adapted in many ways my husband had a leg amputated so when he moved here we had the bathroom door widened in one bathroom for him to use with his wheel chair. He could walk with an artificial leg but there are times it was easier to use his wheelchair. Also that bathroom accommodated the wheelchair better. Also we had a ramp built in the garage in case of an emergency he could get in out quickly in his electric wheel chair. So if and when I need a wheel chair I already have a ramp. My faucets also are lever type and easy for me to use. had a higher toilet stool installed in the master bathroom and it makes big difference between the one in the other bathroom which is standard size. Little things can really help. I have had patients that are living on their own that are quadriplegics and hemiplegics and paraplegics. They are my inspiration to do as much as I can for myself and live a good life.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:44 am

Tuesday am

After giving my knee a rest for a day, I am going to try to move some landscape timbers to where I plan a new flowerbed. Lifting seems to be the real knee killer. Also, there is a possible hurricane coming, so I need to get busy on yard cleanup. And I have weeds to pull on the north side of the house. Full week ahead.

We haven't had rain in 3 days. Wow. It was promised yesterday and didn't show up. My plants will need water soon. It has been a long time since I had to water.

Two states now are restricting oil pipelines. In the case of New York, it appears to be to force utilities to use non petroleum energy. Not sure the thinking in Michigan. This will force utilities to buy energy from states that do use oil, so I don't understand the thinking. And it will cost the consumer more. If the utilities are not allowed to raise prices, they will begin rolling blackouts. Interesting.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:17 pm

Dgflorida wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:44 am
Tuesday am

After giving my knee a rest for a day, I am going to try to move some landscape timbers to where I plan a new flowerbed. Lifting seems to be the real knee killer. Also, there is a possible hurricane coming, so I need to get busy on yard cleanup. And I have weeds to pull on the north side of the house. Full week ahead.

We haven't had rain in 3 days. Wow. It was promised yesterday and didn't show up. My plants will need water soon. It has been a long time since I had to water.

Two states now are restricting oil pipelines. In the case of New York, it appears to be to force utilities to use non petroleum energy. Not sure the thinking in Michigan. This will force utilities to buy energy from states that do use oil, so I don't understand the thinking. And it will cost the consumer more. If the utilities are not allowed to raise prices, they will begin rolling blackouts. Interesting.
Dg hope you are spared the hurricane but know you are well prepared if need be.. good luck.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:16 am

Wednesday am

Going to visit the doctor today. I am feeling a bit of discomfort in my lower body. Maybe an UTI. Get it checked out and an antibiotic ASAP. Holiday weekend coming.

It seems that my body likes to give me a crisis when a hurricane is coming. I got macular degeneration and Irma hit 2 days later. So if this is true, a cane is coming. Lucky me.

None the less, I am not going outside and get sweaty and then go to the doctor. Well, I have followed the scientific models on this hurricane and it is going to be something Tampa Bay must watch. By Thursday, we will know more. If it is worse case, maybe a cat 1 here. That is not that much really, We get some summer storms with 70 mph winds. So it should be ok except for all the junk in the yard that I have to pick up on short notice. Short notice because the pest man is coming and I move everything away from the house for better spraying and now I will have hassle and get it all back against the house by Sunday. This is not the fun part of Florida life.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:54 am

Thursday am

I moved the pest control people to a week from Friday. And today, I will probably call and move the dental appointment scheduled for Tuesday when the hurricane is due to hit. I will do my normally scheduled grocery store trips with an extra one scheduled for Sunday to get fresh vegetables on sale at Winn Dixie. I have all the chicken breasts processed and we will eat chicken for the next several days. That will leave only ground beef which is easy to fix. Mike thinks we will have power outages. I am good with water for 5 days including the frozen water. And the freezer has 6 gallon jugs of frozen water at the bottom.

Yesterday, hubs decided the toilet was broken. "Mom its broken" It did seem to flush poorly. I didn't have a lot of time to work on it because I had to leave for my doctor's appointment. For some reason, the tank wasn't filling completely. Very odd. Well, I thought of fixes, but I got home and it was time to fix dinner etc. A long day with scary traffic. Luckily, it is fine this morning.

Dry weather this morning. Good time to do a load of laundry. Everyone wants clean clothes for a hurricane. LOL.