DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday

Today, I hope to grill a roast outside on my firepit. I like grilling over the wood burning firepit I built outside. The wood is free. I don't use it much because I am too busy to tend it to get it to nice coals most of the time. I will have to cook the meat for lunch since the rain chance increase late in the day, the winds too.

Driving to Winn Dixie to get the meat will have to wait until after 9 am because I need to wait until the meat is likely cut. But I can use the time to gather the wood.

I have used up most of my fresh vegetables except for the cabbage. I wanted to use my steamer to cook the cabbage on top and a sweet potato below, but I haven't found any sweet potatoes at a reasonable price the last few days. I already have 2 boiled turnips.

Most of my day today is weather dependent. If it rains, I will organize inside. My workroom is a mess. I moved things out of the way for the electrician and never moved things back. Also a couple of projects that just got tossed into the room until I could get to them. If it doesn't rain, then out to the garden. Rain chances all weekend, so I may actually get to my "junk" room.

I need one more prescription filled at Walgreen's to get the $5 off coupon. Then I will move them to CVS across the street and walk to get the prescriptions. Waiting, waiting. Shoe coupon and bulk food store coupon will be used tomorrow. The Lowe's coupon is good through the 14th, so I can wait until the next store ad comes out to see if there is anything I must have. I didn't use the last couple of Home Depot coupons. I didn't see anything to buy. Buying stuff you don't need is not frugal even with a coupon.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday

No time to garden today. Today will be shopping and preparing hub food. Strange how much time that seems to take. I make him 3 meals a day plus snack and dessert. And I keep his water cup full all day after he has his 2 cups of coffee in the morning. A lot of water is required on this diet. And he gets UTI as well. Left to his own devices, he would not drink enough water. It is little like taking care of a child only with the reduced energy of an old person.

I plan to travel in late October for 2 weeks. Hubs is not sure what he is going to do. I do want to add a visit to New Orleans at Halloween to my lifetime list. Old dance partner will be my traveling companion and he doesn't have a lot of time left. I won't travel during hurricane season. They are predicting an active one this year. I sure hope I have my new windows by then.

Gathering all my coupons together and after breakfast off to shop. Details on next post.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday

I went shopping and it was successful. I wrote this in the daily check in and will repost it here. "It has been a heavy shopping weekend. Using coupons, I reduced my bulk food store purchase by $13. I bought 3 pairs of high heel sandals from the clearance rack, 50% off and then used my $10 off birthday coupon. I did get 2, 8 ft landscape timbers at the sales price plus 2 more at 70% off from the clearance rack. I did get the 4 beef roasts at Winn-Dixie on sale. I did walk (save gas) to the dollar tree and get a couple of things. I was tired."

Most of these purchases were needs. The bulk food place has nut meats that are very fresh and lower priced than other places. We do eat nuts as snacks. Acceptable on the low carb diet. We should be good for about 6 weeks. I also got sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds as a snack alternative.Gotta eat. Gotta stay low carb. Gotta be frugal.

The high heel shoes were a yearning. I love high heels and the cat peed on my high heel sandals last winter when she was so sick. Why she went into that bathroom and selected my good shoes is a mystery. She also found my coat another day, fallen on the floor and peed on it too. Coat is washable(laundrymat). Shoes were DOA. I did not like her for that. :x But these new shoes will be nice. Heels make me feel good, beautiful. I put them on a shelf with shut door.

I am annoyed that I am struggling with losing those last 5 pounds and I still have a bit of flab on my back and middle, muffin top. I increased my home exercises, ab crunches and butt bridges, plus stretches. The walking has been challenging. Frugal exercise. No good ideas from the FB groups on those pounds. I started doing a bit of jogging, but my joints said no. The dentist took my blood pressure last week(routine office procedure). It was 68/113. The staff said it was a little low, but ok. I thought it was great. My normal when younger and active was 60/90. I am glad to be returning to normal. Now to lean up more.

Dishes, washing my hair and hubs walk today before my eye doctor visit. Dishes love to splash me in the face when I am being careful of my eye. i don't need to cut my hair. The cut I did last month to keep the hair away from my eye is still good. Grown out a bit, looks pretty good too. I am going to let it go gray for now. Interesting.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday

I feel like I am spending a lot of money. Yet, what I am buying seems to be used up pretty fast. And when I don't have everything I need, the project gets stalled which is frustrating and leaves piles.

I have a project to finish bordering the house with stones. I have the underlay down(old carpet) and even the brick border. But I needed the commercial grade weed barrier for the pathway. I bought it in the fall and it got "put away" during hurricane Irma and I refused to buy more when I couldn't find it. I finally found it yesterday. Hooray. But meanwhile, I have moved on to other projects. I have found that something lost, stays lost, until I ignore it and then it is ready to be found. "brownies"

Today, a lot of running around depending on the weather. We will see how much I actually get done. I find I need to plan for more than I likely can do and for things that can be swapped out if circumstances change. Today with the possible storms meets that rule.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday

I did not get out until late afternoon. And only for a short time. :( I was too close to a lightning strike from a strong storm, a few hundred yards away. Scary. Nervous with a headache the rest of the day. When I got out, I went to Home Depot close by and determine what they had for kitchen faucets. They had what we could get from Amazon for $20 less. Bought it from Amazon, arrival date Thursday. Handyman called. I will get estimates from him today at noon on a number of tasks. Today is supposed to be clear, so I will do yesterday's errands without a stop at Aldi's. Nothing I liked there.

I did do housework. All needed to be done and plenty more for any rainy day.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday

The handyman will be able to replace the faucet on Monday. So this weekend I will have to learn to do dishes a different way. Should be interesting. Yesterday was not as productive as I would have liked. I got the necessary morning errands done in record speed. Bank, Lowe's soil sale, Walmart cheese and Starbuck used coffee grounds. Then met with the handyman. Then I began to feel poorly. I rested, ate meat, took a no doz and finally had some energy late afternoon. Repotted the green peppers, planted the roadside free bromiliads and a volunteer caladium, framed my final front garden bed. Then it was dark.

Today, I must get more done. Stones and landscape timbers on sale at HD. Build that final bed and mulch. That is a day's worth of stuff when added to everything else.