DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

Tomorrow is my eye injection and stay in the house and rest for 24 hours. I finished the garden path. So today, I am going to plant 2 trees. My knee was done by the end of the day and I used ultrasound on it and wrapped it. Even so, it was a somewhat restless night with discomfort. It is a good feeling to get something done.

The weather is still dry, so more watering today. The entire circuit of irrigation. Irrigation is a frugal way to water large areas. And DIY irrigation systems are a frugal irrigation system. I did some reading on converting trashcans to rain barrels. I may consider that later. If I can figure out a couple of things, it would be a lot cheaper than buying the rain barrels. I also gave thought to other rain collection systems that I might try.

I have moved most of my empty pots under shelter in case there is a storm while I am gone.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am

Today is the eye injection day. So an unpleasant not feel good day ahead. I am pleased to maintain the reduced amount of garbage each week. It is good to reuse the plastic grocery bags and not have to buy plastic bags for for garbage disposal. Reuse is frugal.

A normal frugal day. I have started setting a small container on the other side of my double sink. The left side is for dish water and soapy water. The right side container is for vegetable rinse water which is perfectly clean. The soapy water goes into my tub with hardy plants. The clean water can go wherever on plants. I rinse used coffee filters into the soapy water bucket. The dried used coffee filters clean grease off of dishes before I wash them. The coffee grounds go into the garden. I also recycle tea bags as well. I also save water in other ways as well.

I am back from my morning walk and have the irrigation line going for my 2 newly planted trees. I am making breakfast, turkey bacon and eggs. I am using the excess grease from yesterday's evening meal of ground beef, Mexican style. Waste not. Want not.

I got out ground beef patties for tonight. I will probably make hamburgers if I feel poorly. We will see. I have the 9 lbs of onions to chop and freeze and a couple of yellow peppers as well. I also need to clean out the refrigerator or use up the drips and dabs I have. That is the plan for the next couple of days while I am inside. Thursday, I have a doctor's appointment regarding the abnormal thyroid reading. That should be interesting. I can't wash my hair for several days due to the eye injection, so I will not be as tidy as I like. Oh well. Can't please everyone.

I need to get serious about the 6 personal improvements I listed the other day. These next couple of days should be good for that.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:05 am
Monday am

Today is the eye injection day. So an unpleasant not feel good day ahead. I am pleased to maintain the reduced amount of garbage each week. It is good to reuse the plastic grocery bags and not have to buy plastic bags for for garbage disposal. Reuse is frugal.

A normal frugal day. I have started setting a small container on the other side of my double sink. The left side is for dish water and soapy water. The right side container is for vegetable rinse water which is perfectly clean. The soapy water goes into my tub with hardy plants. The clean water can go wherever on plants. I rinse used coffee filters into the soapy water bucket. The dried used coffee filters clean grease off of dishes before I wash them. The coffee grounds go into the garden. I also recycle tea bags as well. I also save water in other ways as well.

I am back from my morning walk and have the irrigation line going for my 2 newly planted trees. I am making breakfast, turkey bacon and eggs. I am using the excess grease from yesterday's evening meal of ground beef, Mexican style. Waste not. Want not.

I got out ground beef patties for tonight. I will probably make hamburgers if I feel poorly. We will see. I have the 9 lbs of onions to chop and freeze and a couple of yellow peppers as well. I also need to clean out the refrigerator or use up the drips and dabs I have. That is the plan for the next couple of days while I am inside. Thursday, I have a doctor's appointment regarding the abnormal thyroid reading. That should be interesting. I can't wash my hair for several days due to the eye injection, so I will not be as tidy as I like. Oh well. Can't please everyone.

I need to get serious about the 6 personal improvements I listed the other day. These next couple of days should be good for that.
Sorry you are not feeling well and have to live with the discomfort of your eye injection ((hug)). However the the fact that your eye sight has improved with the injections is a blessing.

Great save with recycling water.

Good luck with your Dr about your possible thyroid problem.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you Janet. Nice people like you are hard to find these days.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

As I left the eye doctor's yesterday after the eye injection, the check engine light came on. It came on about 6 weeks ago and it turned out an animal had made a nest on the engine and blocked air flow. The auto place cleaned it out. I wonder if the animal is back? I can't see it because the area has a cover over it. So off to see the auto people this morning.

I called the kitchen designer this weekend and she got back to me yesterday. The installers call 3 weeks in advance to schedule the tear out. I will not be available at 3 weeks. I will be in the mountains where I may or not have cell coverage. I asked the kitchen designer to handle it. Hubs could handle it, but they may insist on talking to the client, me. But they will talk to the kitchen designer, their true client. I was a bit grumpy with her perhaps since I didn't feel good after my eye injection. I will apologize when I see her next. Of course, old dance partner needed to talk to me yesterday. When you don't feel good, it sometimes seems no one will leave you alone.

I got a good report on the bad eye. So we are extending the time period between shots to 6 weeks. And this morning, the eye is feeling better. It weeped most of the afternoon yesterday which clogged the sinus on that side which gave me a bit of a headache above the eye. So the eye hurt, the sinus was upset and I had a headache there. Typical. Overnight the eye tried to seal shut with leaked tears. Crusty eye lashes this morning and itching. And I have to avoid the garden, dust and water. Typical situation which does make me a bit grumpy.

I will probably buy the range top this week. It is on sale at Home Depot. I will buy the appliances there because then the kitchen designer can coordinate it. The price difference from other places is not significant and I need it delivered at a certain time.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am-part 2

Took a long walk with my neighbor. We talked about a lot of things as usual. She had Chinese on Saturday night and hasn't felt well since. I suggested it was the MSG that Chinese food has to make the vegetables taste better. She is having lunch with her sis in law who is in bad health. They don't get together very often. We saw all the neighbors who walk during our long walk. Hubs just got back on his medication yesterday and said he felt like he could walk a little. He had a rough time off of the pain medication this time. We briefly discussed it. He had put on some weight and I suggested he was eating a lot between meals. So he cut back and lost 7 lbs in a week. Wow. So he is back to 160 where he feels like he should be. I feel a little thinner too since I am able to be more active.

This should be a good day. I think I need to put the 6 habits on a piece of paper to look at in the morning.I put it here on the computer, but it doesn't feel as available. I did most of my fly baby first task yesterday. I didn't clean the sink as well as the task requires. But I will try to do better tomorrow when I can risk the water.

Number 6 on the list is to do something to support faith. I have been thinking about that one quite a bit lately. Faith is the shield against fear and hate. And there is a lot offer and hate right now. But first, I need this list in writing in front of me. Fearful people make poor decisions. And sometimes buy things they don't need. So faith has an element of frugal. Isn't that interesting.