DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Memo to self: have to remember that I have figured out how to up cycle my old range hood and save water in the process. Frugal ways are so satisfying.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

Such a lovely morning. A cool northern breeze. House down to 79-81F

Eye injection eye looks healthy. No infection. That is good, but always a risk. I guess I will not color my hair before the trip. It looks pretty good. Roots just showing a little white. Took a longer walk 2 days in a row without trouble.

I accidentally watered the flower bed longer than I intended yesterday. I was sure that I turned off the water, but hubs said I didn't. Well, I wasn't feeling good and I made a mistake. Those new trees should be very happy. We didn't get any rain yesterday and none likely for the next couple of days.

While walking this morning, I told my neighbor that I had gotten hubs food in. I said he wants coleslaw. She told me 2 places not to get it from. I thanked her for her advice. Then she said she was going to tell hubs about the delivery pizza. I called her evil in jest. She laughed so hard that I was afraid she would pee her pants. It is great to be around good people and not easily offended "snowflakes". Those kind of people make the world everywhere unfriendly.

Eggman has cleaned up the go-cart he got. He is amazingly talented. My walking neighbor and I wonder why we didn't get any talent. We laughed about it.

Hubs has decided that his body is changing. He is getting aches and pains. He thinks that he can't tolerate soy sauce anymore. I think he is not getting enough vinegar since he has decided no dressing on his salads. Well, I won't buy anymore soy sauce. I don't use it, so it will be a savings. I do add ginger and wasake powder to stir fry which is enough flavor for me. My neighbor was surprised that hubs lost 7 lbs in a week when he cut back on snacks. She is trying to lose a bit before her doctor appointment in December. She may be curious about the Keto diet, but she loves her bread and potatoes.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

It has been a rough couple of days. I wanted to order the new appliances before the trip.I had called my kitchen designer 4 times to arrange it. No return call. With a trip coming, I had a schedule I needed to follow. I was told Home Depot could arrange for the delivery to occur after I returned home from the trip. Well, not always. So it was a mess. 3 hours in the store to order 3 appliances. They insisted that it be delivered on Tuesday. I said I would be gone. Well can anyone accept the order which they would leave outside. I said my disabled husband could not move the order inside, so no. This went through 3 layers of management. Each time the same bull. Well, they wanted to sell a thousand dollars worth of appliances or did they? They found a way to work it out after I said I would not be there. I was exhausted, frustrated and felt put through the ringer. I had a headache. When I woke up Thursday morning, my jaw hurt. I must have clenched my jaw all night. And I had a doctor's appointment. A great joy-not. Of course, my blood pressure was high. Second highest reading of my entire life! But I told them that I had had a stressful week. Since my blood pressure history was stable, they didn't hassle me about it.

This was not a doctor visit I wanted. I got an abnormal blood reading from my annual 2 weeks ago. They really wanted to see me. I saw the nurse practitioner. I like him and work well with him. We had a discussion and I went for more blood work. Again tying up loose ends before the trip. I get home and just rest.

The next morning the missing kitchen designer emails and says I ordered the wrong appliances. Actually, I just went with a different brand of dishwasher and saved $400. She said this could delay the install and leave me without a kitchen longer. That felt like a threat, but I tried to let it roll off my back. She sent a similar email 2 more times. I suggested we meet. She couldn't until this morning. So I am headed back into the "fray". Meanwhile old friend is sick and getting worse. After my meeting with her this morning, I will likely find out that the trip is canceled. This is going to be a long day.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:55 am
Saturday am

It has been a rough couple of days. I wanted to order the new appliances before the trip.I had called my kitchen designer 4 times to arrange it. No return call. With a trip coming, I had a schedule I needed to follow. I was told Home Depot could arrange for the delivery to occur after I returned home from the trip. Well, not always. So it was a mess. 3 hours in the store to order 3 appliances. They insisted that it be delivered on Tuesday. I said I would be gone. Well can anyone accept the order which they would leave outside. I said my disabled husband could not move the order inside, so no. This went through 3 layers of management. Each time the same bull. Well, they wanted to sell a thousand dollars worth of appliances or did they? They found a way to work it out after I said I would not be there. I was exhausted, frustrated and felt put through the ringer. I had a headache. When I woke up Thursday morning, my jaw hurt. I must have clenched my jaw all night. And I had a doctor's appointment. A great joy-not. Of course, my blood pressure was high. Second highest reading of my entire life! But I told them that I had had a stressful week. Since my blood pressure history was stable, they didn't hassle me about it.

This was not a doctor visit I wanted. I got an abnormal blood reading from my annual 2 weeks ago. They really wanted to see me. I saw the nurse practitioner. I like him and work well with him. We had a discussion and I went for more blood work. Again tying up loose ends before the trip. I get home and just rest.

The next morning the missing kitchen designer emails and says I ordered the wrong appliances. Actually, I just went with a different brand of dishwasher and saved $400. She said this could delay the install and leave me without a kitchen longer. That felt like a threat, but I tried to let it roll off my back. She sent a similar email 2 more times. I suggested we meet. She couldn't until this morning. So I am headed back into the "fray". Meanwhile old friend is sick and getting worse. After my meeting with her this morning, I will likely find out that the trip is canceled. This is going to be a long day.
DG sorry you are having to deal with so many things. Seems to me that Home Depot should work with your schedule if they want to keep a client happy. I bought some paving bricks from them. My contractor had measured how much I needed. They did not sell me enough despite what his measurements were. His crew leader picked them up and after they unloaded them at my house is when they discovered the mistake. He went back to Home Depot and pitched a fit. Telling them they were extremely short and that it was costing them time and money due to the lack of the necessary bricks they could not complete the project. They not only gave him the necessary bricks they also gave me a 50.00 credit. So I bought more bricks to use behind my house. Sometimes it pays to make a fuss. Although sometimes I think companies respond better to men and contractors since they do get business from them.

Hope your medical situation works out ok.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you Janet. Your compassion is so appreciated. You understand things better than most people. I finally saw an attitude shift. Perhaps they found their heart. Truly disabled people simply can't do stuff. The argument was "will there be anyone there to accept the order on that date (the one where I won't be there). NO. I felt like I had to say it 10 times to every level of management. He can not lift even 10 lbs. He is disabled. The order will sit outside. Their eyes went blank. HE IS DISABLED!!!! They were beating me to death with their inability to grasp that simple fact. We will see what happens tomorrow.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday pm.

I should be in Atlanta. But I am not. Just when you think you have all the ends tied down. BOOM!!! Traveling companion has a medical emergency. Heart issue and heart attack possible. Last minute, trip called off. I think I can get most of the costs refunded or applied to a future trip. Not like I have a choice. I didn't bother to contact Home Depot. Too risky that this will mess everything up. Better to stay the course. I am bummed. Very disappointed. Frustrated. Depressed. As a caregiver, I need some time off for my own mental health.

Well, it is what it is and I intend to stay home and just feel bummed for awhile. I don't want to be around anyone. I decided that I will work in my back yard away from everyone. I am figuring 3 days.

We finally got rain here. A good inch according to my gauge. That would be good. I have a couple of tomato plants to plant which were going to wait until I got back, but now can go into the ground. I also have 8 ground cover plants to plant. This plant is called perennial peanut and it is a popular one here. It isn't a vine that can trip a person up and it can be mowed if needed. The counties around here use it extensively.

The days are still pretty hot. Heat indexes near 100F. So the afternoons are inside the ac house, but mornings and evenings are good. I used this morning to lay out cardboard as a weed barrier. Store bought weed barriers don't work around here. The weeds are too aggressive. Pushes right through the barrier. But layers of cardboard work. So I am putting down cardboard in several beds I clears these last couple of weeks. The big one is my butterfly nectar flower bed. Mostly lantana, but a few other flowers. I have vincas everywhere and the buterflies like them. I had to stop working because the beds were in the sun and it was hot. Finish it tonight. I have accumulated a fair amount of cardboard and now I will use it up because the cabinets will have cardboard, so I will get a resupply in a couple of weeks. I want to make a couple of more beds for the fig trees I have to move. They multiplied and I have to move some. Didn't get that many figs, so I hope the new spot will be a happy spot for them. So as the weather and my knee allows, garden on. I have laid out the irrigation line for the new garden. But I won't assemble it until I finish with the cardboard, etc.

The gulf fritillary butterflies love the Passion flower host plant I grew on the fence. They chew it up a bit, but it comes back. The monarch butterflies are fewer now. I think many of them migrate although a few are permanent residents. The little winter birds are arriving. So many everywhere, so many new songs in the morning.

I hope my friend and traveling companion gets better.