DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday -thought for the day.

Bullies. I heard that this was anti-bully month. The recent verbal attack on Tulsi Gabbard by Hilary Clinton is all over the news right now and is shocking. It is dividing the Democrats. It seems so unreal. maybe it is. Reminds me of a recent time that I got bullied for using the wrong word. Bullies don't seem to realize that it rubs most people the wrong way. But generally, most people don't say anything. They just rethink their opinion of the bully. It seems that we are in an age where hate is ok. Look at the suicide rate among children who are bullied. So sad. I still remember "I'm ok. You're ok." Hubs experienced a lot of it as a lifelong disabled person. I never saw him as disabled. I see him as old now, but not disabled.

Hubs wonders if this is true or made up by the press for clicks. I hope the age of bullies end soon.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

The bad weather is said to be passed us. Clear skies ahead soon. I have been unable to wash clothes due to the rains, so that is on tap for today. We have eaten all the cooked beans, so I am thinking of making another pot roast with beans and onions. I still have a couple of fresh ones. If I start thawing it today, it will be ready to cook in a couple of days. Meanwhile I can make ground beef with Italian herbs and Italian vegetables including zucchini. Yum.

I am trying to get my December trip planned. Pretty much decided to add in a cruise. We hope to get as much dancing on it as the last one. I got my passport out of the safety depot box.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

Made it through Tuesday. Dealt with the medical insurance in the am. Made arrangements for the December Houston visit. Took hubs to the doctor in the afternoon. 1 1/2 hour wait for the doctor. Time to find a new one. So tired at the end of the day. Made and ate dinner and went to bed. Going to call a new doctor today and make an appointment.

It is very cool outside. I have the house fan on and the temperature is dropping inside here. Most of the house will soon be in the upper 70's.

Today will be laundry day. Get the bedding done first and then the rest. Do last night's dishes. Too tired last night. Get painting done. Dry beans are soaking. Pot roast tonight. I wish I had more fresh vegetables. I considered Brussel sprouts, but didn't get any. Also thinking sauerkraut. Cool weather for a couple of days.

The grocery store flyers came in yesterday. Winn-Dixie has London broil and onions on sale over the weekend. If I get it all on Sunday, that will be good. Aldi's has grapes on sale and it is time for hubs to have his fruit. I will be near there on Thursday for the health seminar and $10 gift coupon.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am

The sun is not up yet. A cool, crispy fall morning. I worked hard yesterday. I bleached the front patio and some of the back one. Here algae turns everything it can green in the tropical summer heat and humidity. Come cooler, drier weather, it is time to do a fall cleaning. Because my house is nestled among the grand oaks, it stays damper, longer. It is an old Florida rural problem. The front looks much better. Got a few more spots to do, but it is looking so much better. After that, I put a second coat of paint on the trellis and pulled weeds. I forgot to put the pot roast on, but did and we ate late.

Today, I have the informational seminar to go to for a $10 gift card. Works for me. Near Aldi's so I will get hubs some on sale grapes. He can have fruit once a month or so provided they are berries or such. He likes grapes a lot. It is a deserved splurge for him. He is keeping his weight down to 165 and is walking most days.

I should have the afternoon to do something. Painting outside would be a good choice. I am out of bleach, so more bleaching will have to wait for the weekend when bleach goes on sale. When Winn-Dixie has bleach on sale for a dollar, it is a better buy that dollar tree because the container is much bigger. Dollar tree stuff is a dollar because of reduced amounts. Most people don't compare shop on price per unit. In some cases, they are paying more there.

No ac costs or heating costs. Hooray. Yes, fans in the early morning, but house stays nice all day. I pumped the water from the last rain that collected in the trashcans into the rain barrel. Excellent exercise with the hand pump. Should give me lovely shoulder muscles at no cost.

Today, leftover pot roast for dinner. Crock pot, pot roast is such a great bargain. It makes 3 or 4 meals with vegetables and beans. Still, I will change it up over the next few days with ground beef or other meals.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

This afternoon, I plan to go grocery shopping. I have a couple of good digital coupons from Winn-dixie which I will load to my card this morning. This morning, I intend to do some more painting on the trellis. Then permanently attach it to the poles. Time to get busy on that project. It has been so hot here during the day. Heat index up near 100F again.

Today is also the day I begin moving things in order to accept the new cabinets due to arrive on Monday. That will be enough for the day.

I visited the Eggman and his wife. They are native Floridians and I appreciate their perspective on things. I have decided to improve my safe room. I feel we are in for more tornado activity in the next few years and I want to be ready to go to the safe room. The current safe room is pretty good except for the interior wall and the ceiling. Safe rooms also act in cases of burglars. Yes, they may rob you of belongings, but if you are in your safe room, they can't rob you of life. Provided all doors are safe. The door connecting the safe room to the rest of the house does not meet those standards. I will hire someone next year to put 2 layers of plywood on the wall and put in a metal door with good wall connections. I wanted to see what Eggman said. Well, he has his 38, so he feels safe. I think that is macho, but not practical for us. Hubs is too disabled and I don't see that well. The front of the house is pretty secure with the windows being hurricane glass. And the new door being up to hurricane standards. I also have a tall fence in the front of the house all the way across with a gate with padlock. The fence is shorter on the street side due to code, but it would be very inconvenient and they would have to cross a deep ditch that no car could manage. Still, a safe room with safe walls and safe doors is a smart thing. He and I don't agree on the risks though. He thinks flooding is the big risk. Well, for him it is more of a risk than it is for me. I am uphill from him. However, I intend to bring in dirt next year and build the ground up a bit around the house.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

Yesterday's plans changed when it started raining early. So no painting or shopping. But I did work on making more room for cabinet boxes due tomorrow. I also cut up some cardboard boxes for my next garden.

Today, I will lay out the landscape timbers for my next garden. Moving the timbers plus several concrete blocks will be my heavy work for the day. I hope my knee holds up. I will be going to the store and getting bleach on sale 50% off. And some roast beef, onions on sale and some canned tomatoes with jalapeños for Hubs winter chili.

Eggman's wife brought over some food on Friday. We have finished it mostly. I am not sure why she does it, but she is a good cook and I always appreciate it. The pot roast is still waiting in the refrigerator. I cook it for hubs. He likes it fall apart done. I don't, so I eat other things. I always make beans and they are so tasty. Rarely any left to freeze. I still have several bags that I got for less than $1 per pound. Hubs has managed to maintain his weight loss and still have beans, so it is a good meal side.

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. It must be due to the upcoming kitchen remodel. It is the unknown. When I think logically about it, it is nothing. But emotionally, it is scary.