DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:31 am

Friday am

The week is already gone. The kitchen demolition has been very exhausting to me. I simply do not like strangers in my house. It must be an old person thing.

I spoke with the yard guy and reminded him that I have other yard tasks when the grass cutting demad is reduced. We will talk on Tuesday when he next comes. More later. Time to walk.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:13 am

Friday am part 2

For right now, I am washing dishes outside using the sprayer nozzle on the garden hose. Not that great, but with the drain now set up properly, at least the water goes into a bucket. And that water goes into the flower tub. So it is ok. Still a pain to carry the soap and scrubbers and drain pan inside every day. Don't want to, but bugs and crawly stuff are not wanted.

This morning the bug guy comes, so I need to police up the perimeter. It won't be my best job, but just one more thing to do. I have not finished rimming the house perimeter with termite traps. But one was set off by either ants or termites. So I changed it out.

On the agenda is a load of wash to hang out. I don't hang out clothes on the day the bug people come. Don't want any pesticides in my clothes. So that will have to wait until tomorrow. We might get rain tonight they say. Cooler temperatures as well. I am not unhappy with the temperatures, but the seasons are changing.

Morning temperatures are near 70F, but the humidity is bad. House humidity is up. I will need to check my little dehumidifiers. Sounds like a today project.

I have an overdue outdoor project planned for the weekend. The handyman built an extension overhang on the shed. I need to lay down plastic and then some mulch. Nothing grows under it since it gets no rain or sun. But I will certainly be able to store some stuff under it. Get it tidy this weekend.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:20 am

Friday am-thought for the day.

I was sorry to see Carleen leave here because she didn't feel safe here. Unfortunately, I understand her feelings completely about here. Sadly, there are some people that believe they are taking the moral high ground when actually they are not. They are bullies, but believe that they are the "pure" ones and have earned the right to degrade other people, accuse them of things or make them feel unsafe. Sadly, it appears that even going to church every Sunday cannot teach them humility. "If you be perfect, cast the first stone." It must be really bad when even former President Obama chastises them as he did at a recent open liberal forum. I hope the liberal left listens to him. I am sure that there are many decent people there who have embraced hate and lost their way. Hate is truly an expression of evil. For some here in the US, it begins with hating Trump and then hating his family and then extending the hate to everyone who voted for him. It must be a huge burden to hate 63 million people.I am grateful for gratitude. I am grateful that I do not hate anyone.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:40 am

Saturday am.

It looks like a rough day here weather wise. I have had it with microwave dinners. Getting out the crock pot and cooking. The outside sink will do. Gotta eat. What awful food people accept. I am sad that the chiropractor was not more successful with my treatment. I think he must think it is the stress. I never realized I was such a foodie.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Dg hope you are ok? I am hoping that you are just busy with the kitchen remodel and all is well. Drop a line when you feel like it to let us know how you are doing.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:33 am

Friday am

Thank you for thinking about me, Janet. This has been a lost week. The demands don't stop because of the kitchen. I had my eye injection on Monday. It went well. My vision is 20/20, 20/25. I am actually beginning to see from eye spots that I couldn't before. Is as if half the center eye bubble is no longer there. Next month, they do photographs. I joined a Macular Degeneration support group on FaceBook. It has been educational. Many of the group have much worse vision than me. And many are not getting as good care as me.

This week, I decided to get busy and get a new doctor after the last one padded the bill. The new patient method is to do a call back, but of course, they called back when I was out. So rather than playing phone tag, I just stopped into their office and got everything taken care of. I have an appointment on December 6. Hopefully, no kitchen issues on that day.

I am glad to get back to normal food. Still, a kitchen on the porch is not convenient. I can't leave seasonings out there or other things since a porch is not perfectly bug free. So the meals are suffering from lack of seasoning. And water is in another room and the outdoor sink is on another porch. So things are inconvenient and time consuming. And stuff is moved around.

I am a bit disappointed that the electric usage bill is the same this year as last. Since it reflects October use and they say it was the hottest October on record, I guess it is ok. Still, I have noticed how the house temperature doesn't move much with weather changes. That is nice on old bodies. I am a bit concerned about the humidity staying so high. I prefer 70%. Over 80% is not good for clothes and such. I may need to break out the dehumidifier hubs bought. The ac, which also dehumidifies, will not come on for about 5 months. Cooler weather, mostly in the 60's will slowly drop the house temperature. I estimate down to 75F. An interesting test. I have gotten out my winter clothes. It feels funny to wear tops with sleeves and long pants.

It is a rainy day which is much needed by my plants. I will venture outside later. I have many tomato plants started. The peppers just didn't sprout at all. A puzzle. I have decided to begin plants inside during the roughest weather in January-February. Hopefully, things will be put back and the area I want to use will be available and not storage for kitchen stuff. I have also continued to work on solar power. I have selected a battery and companion solar panel. But I don't want any clutter until this kitchen thing is done.