DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:07 am

Tuesday am

I didn't work on the draft stopper last night. Instead, I made curtains for 2nd bathroom window using cut up, good tee shirt parts. It worked really well. Just white tee shirts, but not bad looking. The swap of tee shirts with hubs tee shirts was not that successful. However, he did get rid of one. It is pretty far gone. I also sent a couple of shirts to the scrap box.

The house temperature rose to 73F thanks to the crockpot chicken. It was a huge chicken. We ate on it and will eat on it again today. It was good. I also added heat to the house by turning the dryer vent into the house. I blocked off the wall vent. The dryer doesn't add a lot of heat because the clothes are just a bit damp, so just a short heating cycle, but every bit helps.

I have been exploring new uses of pvc pipes. They are so versatile for garden projects and virtually indestructible. Wood rots so fast here. All my irrigation lines are pvc pipes. So easy to work with.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Thursday pm

I got the second trellis up. I hooked a couple of the jasmine vines to it. I also got the dishes washed. We are eating the beef roast chopped up for dinner tonight. I wanted to start on the pvc project, but I couldn't find my cutting tool. It will appear when it decides to. Meanwhile, I will work on other things.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:49 am

Friday am

Second trellis is built. I am not please with it actually. I used a wooden trellis on the first one, but I was able to get the plastic ones and they are low maintenance. But they are like jello and somewhat undermine the integrity of the structure. Well, it is educational.

Pvc pipe diy project today. I really enjoy working with it. Adult tinker toys.

I am continuing the de-clutter of my bedroom. 2 steps forward and one step back.

The house temperature is remaining in the 70's. So the night time drop into the low 50's supports the 20 degree delta theory. We had hoped for a better result after we spent so much money on insulation upgrades. The 2 biggest heat loss are the 2 large glass windows, the picture window in front and the sliding glass door in back. Both need heavy curtains. And I am not sure I am up to mounting the hardware. The front window only has blinds. The back one has bigger blinds which are useless in my opinion. Both projects require I climb a ladder and that bad knee suggests I don't. I have made some inquiries about professionals and the big box stores say, we don't do that kind of work. Educational. Because my house is still a fix up house in my opinion, I only have so much time blocks to devote to a project. So if it can't be completed before I have to prepare food or such things, it has to be put off. My heart goes out to Janet who gets her days disrupted so often right now. Disruptions are so exhausting to me. And frustrating which is double exhausting.

I bought hubs a quilt. It is a summer like quilt. He had been using mine. I wanted mine back. Until this year, he had been using the quilt his mother made, but it is not doing well and I will need to repair it. So he can use a cheap Walmart quilt this winter. Finding a color pattern that matches his curtains and bedding and wasn't too girlie was tough. I never found one I really liked, but this will do.

Once the kitchen is finished, I will get a new refrigerator. I feel it is an energy hog and after the other energy efficient appliances are in place, I will eliminate that hog. There is only so much money that I want to spend at a time. This kitchen remodeling project is very expensive. I felt uncomfortable spending any more at this moment. I don't do things that make me uncomfortable. I am bracing for a new ac, maybe next year. This old one is very old.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:13 am

Friday-thought for the day

Based on today's daily chat discussion that touched on the issue of energy, coal, oil etc, I was reminded of an interesting discussion hubs and I had on the subject yesterday. If the country moves to green energy, a lot of people will be out of work. The coal, oil, gas companies employ 10's of thousands of people. Recently, one of the green politicians suggested that we could simply puts all those people on welfare. The suggestion that they retrain for the green industry doesn't seem to be well received. Hubs says we are moving to greener energy and he cited the new Ford Mustang and the electric muscle cars. The new solar wall and solar shingles are great, but ordinary people will not have access to them for a long time. Solar energy is frugal. Reducing energy consumption is certainly my goal. My more energy efficient kitchen is an example. But most people can't afford the thousands of dollars to replace appliances for a tiny savings down the road, someday. When I decided to buy a battery and solar panel, hubs was resistant. When he saw my determination to move to this frugal choice, he agreed to help out. Interesting times.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:00 pm

Friday evening

It was a productive day. I moved pavers and concrete blocks. I moved dirt and did some weeding. I got all the pavers in place and stable. Not the concrete blocks. My bad knee said that's enough for today. Also blew the leaves off the front patio. The house got up to 74F while it was 79F outside. I did not get to my pvc during the day, but I can work on it while I am sitting down after dinner. I won't get them all cut. The cutting tool is slow work. But progress is progress no matter the speed. Tomorrow I will try to get the concrete blocks in place next to the northeast wall. I will plant cannas in the concrete raised bed. My neighbor says cannas prefer shade here. I have them scattered all over the yard and doing poorly. Well we will see if they like their new home. I am having stew from the freezer tonight. Tummy still unhappy.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:57 am

Saturday am

Yesterday was a good day in my project goals. I explained the purpose of my walls/raised beds in the daily check in, but I will copy the principles here.This purpose of this north side project is to reduce winter wind chill effects on the north side of the house. According to everything I am reading, high walls create wind turbulence that can actually increase chill effect. Plants break up turbulence more effectively. Raised beds properly spaced from the house create a quiet space between the wall and house plus the tall plants further buffer the exterior walls. Reducing house chilling means reducing heating costs and that means frugal savings.

As has become the norm, I woke up in the middle of the night. I used that time to study the plus and minus of wall insulation. I could tell from the kitchen work that I have a wall space between the concrete block exterior wall and the sheet rock interior wall. However, my research definitely said insulation between the walls in this climate is a bad idea. The high humidity and generally hot temperatures will likely result in potential mold development. Oh well. The creation of buffers is my best shot. So walls and screens against the north winter wind it is.

Getting the north side of the house under control is also necessary so that I can install my termite barrier plugs. They are supposed to go in every 10 ft, 2-3 ft out from the building. I don't want them mowed over or stepped on, so creating a controlled area is the proper action. Just a lot more work thanks to tree roots. Of course, doing it myself will save lots and lots of money, be free exercise and make the house look better(if I do a good job)

Since I was up in the middle of the night, I cut some pvc pipe. Cutting pipe is kind of boring, so it made me sleepy quickly. But I didn't feel like I wasted my awake time.