DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:53 am

Friday thought for the day

Pax Romana. Historically, this is the term for the historical period that ended about 1500 years ago. This was that time in history when Rome had conquered all the known world and brought peace and stability through the enforcement of laws on all and forced cultural homogeneous behavior. The purposed global world order of today with one set of laws for all is very similar in philosophy to the Pax Romana time. However, the Pax Romana failed and the world returned to a fragmented and tribal society. Why did it fail? Now that is a good question. Evidence of failure appeared as rebellions in the conquered territories as well as outside attacks by "barbarians". Over the last several years, rebellions have begun to appear. France seems to be at the forefront of this issue. First, the yellow vests and now the attempt to rein in pensions has resulted in an embarrassing rebellion/slowdown. In addition, there is evidence of a second Arab spring, if you read beyond the American news sources. Star Trek imagined a world order with everyone happy. But, historically, it has been a pipe dream that never lasted. We are in interesting times.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:05 am

Saturday am

It warmed a little yesterday and today is supposed to be even better. My quest to keep the house warmer feels successful. Heat rarely comes on. The humidity is dropping in the house. Still high by northern standards, but lower than I am used to.

Tomorrow, military son is coming in. A house without a kitchen is quite disorganized. Oh well, it is as it is.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:02 am

Sunday am

Today, son will arrive for a visit. Looking forward to it.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:42 am

Dgflorida wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:02 am
Sunday am

Today, son will arrive for a visit. Looking forward to it.
Enjoy! I know my uncles was career military and it was always a great time when he would come home from whatever distant part of the world he had been in.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:10 am

Thanks Janet. He will soon be gone for 3 years. Maybe he will come to visit or maybe it won't work out.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:16 am

Monday am

Military son arrived and we got a rotisserie chicken from Walmart as well as a couple of other things for him in his hotel. We ate and he and his Dad had guy chats while sitting on the dock at the lake. Then he said he was tired and it was time for him to check in at the hotel. So we went over there and got it done. We are covering the cost of it. We have reached a point where it is time to begin to give them money for their future. All of my sons are winners, self sustaining adults.