DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:54 am
Yes, Janet the 2 large window areas, picture window and sliding doors are the only areas not yet attended to. Reliable handymen are so rare.
Yes reliable handymen are hard to come by. I feel blessed to have found the one I have. He has done a lot of things for me that he would not take money for. I had him put up two clotheslines in my garage and he bought the clotheslines and the hooks himself and would not take a dime. When I kept having damage to my roof he bought a whole bundle of shingles and he told me as long as I had shingles he would do the repairs for free. Which he did for over a year with me having constant wind damage on my roof. My husband could not understand why he would do things for free.He said you must be sleeping with him...gggrrr. The thing is I know other people that he has done work for and he has done things for free for them too.. He is just a good hearted person. His guys even built some steps for my dog Allie to get on and off of my bed. They brought the wood from their shop and built them because she had a brain tumor and it was hard for her to get off and on my bed. My bed is an antique reproduction canopy bed and sits really high. He advertises no job too big or small. I once asked him if they do any kind of planting of trees and flowers and he said no but they would for me. He knows I am disabled and have difficulty doing some things. He even had his guys come out one time and move all of the things out of my garage to the basement when I had termites. They were here for a couple of hours moving things and he would not take any money. He said you have been a good client and glad we could help out. He is a blessing.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

My mind is turning to making sure hubs has the least amount of work to do while I am gone. 4 days before I leave.

The tomato plants I bought several months ago are just looking sorry. I just never learn. They are on their own while I am gone. The tomato plants I grew from seed are looking fine except they need to be planted. Yesterday, I cleared out my dead flowers in the front beds and dug holes. Into the garden, they must go.

The kitchen counter isn't good enough. What to do? I don't know.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:19 am
Saturday am

My mind is turning to making sure hubs has the least amount of work to do while I am gone. 4 days before I leave.

The tomato plants I bought several months ago are just looking sorry. I just never learn. They are on their own while I am gone. The tomato plants I grew from seed are looking fine except they need to be planted. Yesterday, I cleared out my dead flowers in the front beds and dug holes. Into the garden, they must go.

The kitchen counter isn't good enough. What to do? I don't know.
What do you mean the kitchen counter is not good enough? Did they do a poor installation?
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Janet, the issue is that the countertop is going from wheelchair height to regular counter height because of the dishwasher. All under counter dishwashers are built for regular counter height. And they must be adjacent to the water source, the sink. That means there is a vertical wall right next to the sink where the countertop does not cover. A potential for water to leak into the wood cabinet housing the dishwasher. 1/2 inch of open unprotected space right next to the sink. The countertop installers ignored that space, saying they were done. I said not acceptable. I can't clean that space and it leaves the underside of the top countertop(just pressed wood) accessible to water splashed from the sink. They filled it in with caulk and tried to tell me it is sealed. I said no. Caulk shrinks when it dries and cracks when applied that thick. A perfect opportunity for water to seep in. So now we will see how they fix it.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:03 am
Janet, the issue is that the countertop is going from wheelchair height to regular counter height because of the dishwasher. All under counter dishwashers are built for regular counter height. And they must be adjacent to the water source, the sink. That means there is a vertical wall right next to the sink where the countertop does not cover. A potential for water to leak into the wood cabinet housing the dishwasher. 1/2 inch of open unprotected space right next to the sink. The countertop installers ignored that space, saying they were done. I said not acceptable. I can't clean that space and it leaves the underside of the top countertop(just pressed wood) accessible to water splashed from the sink. They filled it in with caulk and tried to tell me it is sealed. I said no. Caulk shrinks when it dries and cracks when applied that thick. A perfect opportunity for water to seep in. So now we will see how they fix it.
I think you are right. They cannot leave it like that it is going to create a situation down the road and you should not have to deal with it due to them not doing the job correctly. Good luck trying to get it fixed.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

The majority of the tomato plants are planted and it has been raining gently for the last 8 hours or so. Still, I will check the soil tomorrow after the rain passes to see if it has really soaked the ground.

After the rain passes, I need to do a nut run before I leave. Walnuts for hubs and almonds for me. I also need to tidy and organize the refrigerator to be convenient for him. I have worked on organizing the dishes, so they are convenient for him.

Probably do a final wash on Monday/Tuesday. And final shower and toenail clipping for him.