DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

Well, the low was either 32F or 34F depending on which weather service you believe. I did cover my tomato plants with my frost covers and I will see how they did in a few hours as the sun warms the "frozen tundra". The house did well. My efforts to deal with wind chill really made a difference. The winds yesterday were cold and substantial, yet the house did not feel drafty. The heat came on once during the late day and then didn't come on until after midnight. I think it came on about 6 times. I left the house temperature up at 68F overnight until about 5 am when I turned it down to 67F. I wake up when the heat comes on. I am a light sleeper. I will need a nap later today.

I brought in the baby tomato plants that are still in pots. All my tomato plants have tomatoes on them. They say that this cold will cause them to drop off unripened. We will see.

I put up the last of my old wooden hurricane storm windows yesterday. This means all the north and north east windows have wooden covers on them. Windows are the greatest heat loss in most houses. I wanted to have one for my northwest window, but the handyman fell off a boat and couldn't work anymore. I intended to make a storm window for that window, but I didn't get to it. I could have enclosed the back porch as well, but didn't get to that either before this cold spell.

Traditionally, we will have one more cold spell sometime in February. Then winter will be over. I am ok with winter being over.

I ate the meat off the turkey carcass for dinner and I was full. Hubs had his chili. He was happy. Today, I will cut up the whole turkey and we will have roast turkey for dinner and I will add the new carcass to the soup. It will still be a cold day. This concrete block house once it gets cold resists warming up, so making warm food will be a good idea. today. By Friday, it will be in the 70's they say.

Tomorrow, I have the eye injection, so I will lose Thursday afternoon and Friday most likely. I feel poorly after my eye shot.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:10 am
Wednesday am

Well, the low was either 32F or 34F depending on which weather service you believe. I did cover my tomato plants with my frost covers and I will see how they did in a few hours as the sun warms the "frozen tundra". The house did well. My efforts to deal with wind chill really made a difference. The winds yesterday were cold and substantial, yet the house did not feel drafty. The heat came on once during the late day and then didn't come on until after midnight. I think it came on about 6 times. I left the house temperature up at 68F overnight until about 5 am when I turned it down to 67F. I wake up when the heat comes on. I am a light sleeper. I will need a nap later today.

I brought in the baby tomato plants that are still in pots. All my tomato plants have tomatoes on them. They say that this cold will cause them to drop off unripened. We will see.

I put up the last of my old wooden hurricane storm windows yesterday. This means all the north and north east windows have wooden covers on them. Windows are the greatest heat loss in most houses. I wanted to have one for my northwest window, but the handyman fell off a boat and couldn't work anymore. I intended to make a storm window for that window, but I didn't get to it. I could have enclosed the back porch as well, but didn't get to that either before this cold spell.

Traditionally, we will have one more cold spell sometime in February. Then winter will be over. I am ok with winter being over.

I ate the meat off the turkey carcass for dinner and I was full. Hubs had his chili. He was happy. Today, I will cut up the whole turkey and we will have roast turkey for dinner and I will add the new carcass to the soup. It will still be a cold day. This concrete block house once it gets cold resists warming up, so making warm food will be a good idea. today. By Friday, it will be in the 70's they say.

Tomorrow, I have the eye injection, so I will lose Thursday afternoon and Friday most likely. I feel poorly after my eye shot.
Dg hope your tomato plants pull through the cold snap. Also hope your eye injection goes well and you will be back in the swing of things soon.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thanks Janet. I once again had a good report on the eye. Tomatoes are looking good as well.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday am

I slept most of yesterday after the eye shot. Most of the night as well. I feel ready to get going on the day. Things I would like to do today are sign up for the gym. Water the gardens. Still have to avoid water and dust, so I can't be too ambitious. I also plan to walk this afternoon when it is warm. Tonight will be turkey leftovers.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

I had to sign in to the site and it knocked me off pretty quickly. So I lost my Saturday daily post. Oh well. The things that were important were that the house internal temperature is up to 72F after yesterday's warm day of 78F. The building mass of the house warms and cools slowly compared to a wooden structure. If it is a sunny day, we should see it maintain the temperature. Tree cover is slim this time of year. Since the site is doing this right now, I will post this and then edit it after breakfast.

This weekend, probably Sunday morning, I will buy fresh farm salmon at Winn-Dixie. It is on sale and there is a $5 off coupon as well. I like to have fish at least once a month. It is healthy. Looking forward to it. Tonight, we will have Mexican ground beef with black beans. I checked my hurricane stock and I have some things to use up. One is a can of mackerel. This was a favorite with hubs when he could have it with rice. I tried making it into fish cakes using nut flour, but it was not exciting. So I bought some frozen riced cauliflower to be a rice substitute for hubs. Try that out some warm day. Hubs ate all the cranberries and there is a bit of turkey left. But we have had 2 days of turkey. That is enough.

Chicken thighs and green peppers are on sale at save a lot. That would be a nice change of pace this coming week. I will consider going there Monday or Tuesday. Not before.

Today, I want to work on organizing and possibly getting rid of some things. I own too much stuff.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

The outside temperature dropped a lot more than I expected. I didn't put cardboard in the big window. The house dropped to 69F. One degree above the heat coming on. So still, no heat needed since the freeze last week. Today, I plan salmon for dinner. I pulled some turnips from the kiddie pool garden and will make mashed turnips with dinner. See how that goes. I have never had them that way before. I also pulled 2 more white radishes. The red ones just didn't work out. From now on, white radishes. I also watered the garden yesterday. Pretty productive day, although I was slow.

I talked to old dance partner again yesterday. I have been concerned. He was a bit depressed although he didn't recognize it. He is really bothered that his heart has a flutter. He thinks that told him that he is not that far from death. He has a lot of questions about his health that he intends to ask the doctor. I cautioned the doctor will probably not be able to answer most of them. That ticked him off...at me. So he said he hoped I would lose some weight by going to the gym. Yep, attack my weight when he couldn't hook his trousers on New Year's Eve. I was hurt, but after I thought about it, I decided it wasn't important. He is still struggling with the requirement to give up alcohol because of his heart condition. He wants his doctor to say exactly how much he can drink before it is dangerous. He wants to know precisely how much improvement his heart has seen from alcohol abstention. I tried to steer him into enjoying the life he has and not focus on death so much. Well, that wasn't well received. I said I would be coming into Houston in May for the trip out in the desert at Big Bend. He really wants to go to Colorado where certain recreational drugs are legal. But it will still be too cold in May for that. He says he wants to go into Wyoming and west to the mountains. I suggested he needs to do that in early August. He suggested a road trip to take a train in New Mexico that ends.....in Colorado. Maybe that is a better idea. Thinking on it.

I took an antihistamine last night. My healing eye was itching quite a bit. It helped.