DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday-am

Slept well. Ready to go on the day as soon as the sun comes up. I will cook hubs eggs and bacon outside on the porch. I am not hungry, so I will probably snack on almonds later in the morning. Maybe have some beans. Not sure. But save the eggs for hubs. I do intend to walk up to the produce stand this morning and get lemons. 5 for $1. I hope they will remain open. I can't tell what their rules will be as an open air stand.

I hope I will have lots of energy and get lots done before it gets hot this afternoon. Once it gets to 90F, I spend about 50% of the time in breaks it seems. The neighbor who isn't social distancing very well, gave me 2 heads of lettuce that she said she bought by mistake. I put them in the refrigerator and am not sure what I will do with them. Hubs thinks she insists on getting close because her hearing isn't really that good. Could be. I never considered that.

I coughed 3 times last night. The dust was really bad. Hubs chided me for not wearing the bandana. It is not working out that well. Think on it.

I plan to move the transplanted peppers to the sun today at least for awhile. The sun is very hot. My tomatoes are complaining. The temperatures are June/July temperatures, not March temperatures. But next week, it looks like the weather will be more average. Back in the upper 70's to 80 during the day. Plants will be happy. Easier on me as well.

Bedding and hubs shower are on the calendar for this weekend. I must cut his hair as well.

Hubs finished the taxes and made a copy for me to look over. He messed them up last year, so I want to check them before we submit them. It is going to be a strange year.

Generally, I go to the grocery store on Sunday mornings because people are in church and fewer shoppers. But without church, I anticipate many shoppers, so skip it. Maybe Monday or Tuesday or not. Less contact is best.

Normal frugal around the house. No expenses. Few purchases.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday-thought for the day

It seems that the media has beaten Covid-19 to death. People are turning off the talking heads and their doomsday warnings. The statistics are all over the place. Some of them are not right, but some people will swear they are. I believe that the current death rate from Covid-19 in the US is 1.5%. 1500/100,000. But the pandemic title is not based solely on death rate. It also considers rate and spread of infection. Flu is not much of a killer, but when added to the pneumonia it opens the body up to, the mortality rate is said to be 7%. Well, it is beyond my pay grade and when I point out the actual rate, I am slammed. People would rather be alarmed than informed. If Covid-19 proves to be a non doomsday virus, will anyone learn anything from it?

New gardeners keep pouring into my FB gardening groups. They either don't know how to read basic gardening information or can't be bothered. A newbie planted corn in her little garden. Corn is a wind pollenated plant. To get a full ear of corn, you have to have a big square area of plants. A big garden and good soil. I rarely respond. Others have more patience. I have several more weeks of leaves to get done. Gotta stay focused.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

Looking back, it has been a good week. I got the rest of the leaves out of the ditches, cleaned the culverts, mowed the septic weeds, fixed a fan. Probably other stuff, but I am pleased with those. I did have to venture to the stores a couple of times. I am not enjoying that since the number of cases in my county are going up fast. But I have my lemons, 2 a day, natural vitamin C and my fresh off the vine daily tomatoes. We eat healthy meals every day with a good balance of vegetables and protein. Breakfast is eggs and bacon.Sometimes with a chopped vegetable. Lunch is salad. Dinner is usually cooked vegetables and meat, simple without fancy sauces etc. And we drink water, coffee and tea only. No store bought concoctions. No sodas, no alcohol. Frugal eating these days.

Looking forward, 3 more days of very hot, very dry weather before a promised cool down and possible rain. Meals will be broccoli and cheese today. Ground beef burgers with pickles tomorrow. Tuesday, ? and Wednesday probably roast turkey in the crockpot outside. Even though it will cool down, the house is slow to change temperatures. So the several days of cooler weather will probably only drop the house into the mid 70's. They promise lows in the 50's on the coast, but inland, it will be warmer. So I am figuring lows in the 60's and highs in the low 80's. A nice change of pace from the 90's. They think the temperatures will stay down in the 80's for several weeks. That will be a frugal plus. With luck, no ac until June.

I need to make an additional frugal change of habit. We use a lot of reusable plastic dishes. They are dishes hubs microwave meals came in when I was traveling. Hubs says his dishwasher can't handle them well. So I wash them by hand outside in my outside sink. The old kitchen sink saved from the kitchen remodeling. I use a hose to clean them and the hose sits out in the midday sun. The water is very hot then. I generally clean them in the early evening before sunset. But the hose water has cooled a bit by then. If I can change my habit to midday, I could take advantage of the sun. Changing habits is hard.

I generally go to bed shortly after the sun sets. The dust has made gorgeous sunsets. I love to watch them over the lake. So I am in bed early because I am generally tired. Hubs stays up later. Watches a movie I think. Still he only had one light on. He goes to bed around 10 pm and closes any windows on the house front that are still open. The windows in the back stay open all night this time of year. We have a high fence from the end of the house to the end of the property on both sides. And of course, a locked gate. The windows on the front are unbreakable hurricane windows and the door is kick resistant. So I feel pretty secure. Never know when bad guys might drop into a neighborhood. Still we have a small house set back from the road. Just less attractive than others. I make it a habit to rise between 5:30 am and 6:30 am. And hubs gets up then too because I need to get started on the day. Hubs has his coffee and then I start breakfast out on the porch when it gets light enough to go outside. He naps every afternoon. It is a good life with good habits.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday-thought for the day

I am finding myself less tolerant of "preachy" people right now. My sister-in-law, hubs brother's wife is a preachy person. I try to be understanding that she really isn't very bright or educated and preaching is her way of making up for it. She reads "pop" information and then tells everyone what to do. Yesterday, she announced on FB that everyone should take more vitamin C to fight off Covid-19. She announced that she is taking 2000 mg a day and since it is water soluble, everyone else should too. It is known in the medical community that 2000 mg of vitamin C daily increases the chances of kidney stones and other things. Excess has consequences. It also doesn't stop Covid-19. If she wanted to reduce her risk of deadly consequences from Covid-19, she should stop smoking and drinking alcohol. But she deserves her wine, etc. She is quite overweight and so is her husband. But they are rich and deserve the luxuries of life.

People really don't understand social distancing and stay at home orders. They apparently are going out shopping a lot according to our local FB neighborhood group. When I have to go out, I make contact with others as brief as possible. If I continue to eat not eggs for breakfast, hubs will have eggs for several weeks. Cheese will be an issue this coming week, but I am becoming aware that I should go early because they will have super cleaned the stores. On the other hand, seniors are apparently mobbing the stores early. Fewer people are safer. But early morning is safer. Tough decisions. Think on it.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday-am

Work I can do myself rather than pay to do is frugal savings. Things I can raise rather than buy are frugal savings. Things I can fix are frugal savings. Saving power(no ac or heat) and saving water are frugal savings. I am pleased with my frugal lifestyle. I am sad for those who didn't listen to the warning from the older generation, tough times can come at any time. Save and live a frugal lifestyle. A year ago, we were called boomer doomers and other not nice things for preaching a frugal lifestyle. The world changes and yet it doesn't. History repeats even when some people think history doesn't matter anymore.

The new northwest garden has more than one purpose. One, I prefer the natural scent of flowers drifting through my house rather than a "plug in". Also the concrete block raised garden located there is a barrier against any overflow of the lake in a flood. It is not a perfect barrier, but better than nothing. Three, the gardenias I have selected will grow to about 5 feet. They will be a winter hedge barrier against the cold northwest winds. Although the tarps strung between the posts on the open northwest porch worked well this winter, they took a lot of high wind. I wasn't sure they would hold. These shrubs will blunt the winds a bit. And every little bit helps.

Meanwhile, the trellis I have put up on the northern side of the house is being "populated" by the evergreen, blooming jasmine vines. Soon they will wrap around the posts and trellis and form a nice evergreen barrier against winter winds. The trellis will blunt the north winds hitting the house up to almost 6 foot. I have a 12 inch high raised garden wall 24 inches from the house to create a dead air zone. Winter will come again and I will be more ready.

Winds from the northeast in the winter are cold too. That has been a bit more of a challenge. The chain link fence from the north end of the house extends due north. The between yard divider garden extends east. I have some red cedar planted on the divider garden and fence line , but they are growing slowly and unevenly. The passion vine I started on the fence for the butterflies has proven quite aggressive. It is covering the fence and then some. I added some evergreen Arizona cypress that I may do well here. They haven't grown much yet. I need to get more wind buffer plants there, but I am not sure what to put there. Working on it.

I plan to start phase two of the lake flood water buffer. I have decide to use the cheap plastic raised garden edging around a big oak in the west facing back near the house. That tree calls out for some flowers and herbs to be planted under it. Morning and late day sun. The plastic edging will form a horseshoe around the tree ending against phase two concrete blocks. Maybe a narrow garden. Haven't decided yet. The plastic edging is too low to support plants, so I will take large plastic pots sitting in the tree circled mulch to create a garden. The moisture and fertilizer from the potted plants will help the tree during dry seasons. I had to cut down its companion tree last year. It was dying in the center. Made me sad.

The sun beats in on the southwest side of the house in the summer. I am conflicted. That would be a good place to put up some solar panels. Not enough to feed the entire house, but a help. On the other hand, a good place for a new sun loving tree. Most fruit trees are sun loving. Thinking on that.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday-am

The coolest temperatures are just before dawn. It only got down to 69F, so I was only able to cool the house to 79F. The delta factor. However, they say increasing cloud cover this afternoon will keep the high temperature down. We may avoid the ac. I have to get out another roll of ground beef from the freezer to thaw in the refrigerator. We are out of patties. Tonight will be one ground patty mixed with beans and cauliflower rice, probably Cajun. But tomorrow will be a big piece of turkey. Make some cranberries today. Hubs prefers his cranberry sauce "aged" a day. I have to make it from scratch since all the store brands are full of sugar. So last fall, I bought bags of cranberries and froze them.

I save the excess fat off of meals. I put them in bowls and store in the refrigerator. Some of the fat from meals is flavored by the meal. This morning, I will put seasoned fat in the skillet to add variety to hub's eggs. Little things make a difference.

I hope to cook all meals out on the porch today. Breakfast, then hubs cranberries and finally dinner. The reduction in house heating is significant. The energy cost savings from no ac makes me happy. Tomorrow I will cook the turkey in the crockpot on the porch. While it will be cooler, not cool enough to cook inside. The house mass will hold the heat for 3 days and by then, the temperatures will be up again. Still I estimate I can get the ambient house temperature down to the mid 70's.

The neighbor has said that they are going to take down their rain gutters. I volunteered to take them. Gutters are popular for growing certain short rooted plants. I also see using them in other projects. I sure enjoy up cycling things. However, knowing this neighbor, I won't hold my breath.

The use of a quinine derivative to combat Covid-19 is interesting. I read the details on the treatment of Covid-19 with the drug combo. They recommend the quinine before the onset of severe symptoms. So if I take a small glass of tonic water with quinine for the leg cramps, will I also protect myself against Covid-19? Interesting question. I can't offer it to hubs because he is on several medications that interact with quinine badly. Also he doesn't t have night leg cramps.

I pot planted parsley and morning glories yesterday. I did not soak the morning glory seeds as recommended. I also did not soak the seeds of the moonflowers I planted a couple of days ago. Oh well. I found another tray of small plant pots. Going to plant some more seeds. See what I feel like. Peppers are growing well. In a week or two, they will be ready for transfer to the ground. Weather is predicted to be sensible in April. No spiking heat waves. Of course, that could change.