Gayle's Frugal-Attempts Journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
gaylejackson2

Re: Gayle's Spend-less & save more

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Another thought towards better frugality or thrifty ways: I need to clean out & reorganize the pantry. The 4 totes of food need to be gone through, and relabelled. I’m thinking of “GF,” “Baking,” “Condiments/Spices,” and “Weekly Meals.”
(Ds17 has been helping himself to entire bags of chips, cans of tuna, large quantities of jam-pb & bread, bags of chocolate chips, etc. for his ‘snacks,’ “Because we Have So Much Mom!” I’m hoping more organization will keep him out better, as he doesn't listen to me.)
————-
March:

No-spend-2
Spend-1

I forgot to buy corn tortillas yesterday so will buy those quickly tomorrow morning after dropping girls at school.
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gaylejackson2

Re: Gayle's Spend-less & save more

Post by gaylejackson2 »

More thoughts:

Dh wants to take the rest of the Charity Tree money to pay off his credit cards AGAIN. I told him to pay off the larger one with the higher interest rate, and put the money from that card’s payments towards the smaller credit card. Then we should keep the rest of the Charity Tree money in savings.

He doesn't agree, and thinks it would be better to have his credit cards paid down (1 completely down, the other 1/2 down) so he’d then have “extra money to save, Or do something with.” Well he’s been doing something alright, as he used the tractor sale money to pay down his card back in August, and now its right back up even higher-he claims it was Christmas (then said $$ from his brother paid for that), ds’s truck, and the back & forth to SLC for my cancer/chemo that ratcheted it up; I think there are things he’s not telling me about. Plus what happened to the $4K from his employee stock option?? Yes one $800 spinning wheel, but where’s the rest??

I’m worried & more than a bit frustrated. He is convinced that I’m bad with money since I had a credit card 16-20 years ago, and let the balance get to $2000 (his are Much, Much higher); however I run our household on a tight budget on the money I get from him—if I didn't budget, I’d be in the hole Every Month.

I’m definitely feeling the pinch without being able to work to help stave off extras that don't fit in usual monthly budget—I think I need to rework my monthly budget again to see if I can squeeze in anything else, then I’ll just pray like I haven't prayed since I found out about my cancer. Oh yeah, and my small savings is depleted now too.

I’ve been considering trying to work Mondays at the high school—shorter hours & easier to Sub there than at the more stressful-sicky-Middle Schools. I just don't think I’m quite ready yet... though I’m going to wait until the later part of March if I try.
Dgflorida

Re: Gayle's Frugal-Attempts Journal

Post by Dgflorida »

My heart hurts for you. I understand your plight very much. I had hoped that you would be more appreciated given your situation. If you don't feel ready, don't push yourself. You are too valuable to risk. Please try to throw away your worry and frustrations. This day, every day, is a gift to be enjoyed and treasured. Thoughts for you and wishing you peace.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Dgflorida wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:22 am My heart hurts for you. I understand your plight very much. I had hoped that you would be more appreciated given your situation. If you don't feel ready, don't push yourself. You are too valuable to risk. Please try to throw away your worry and frustrations. This day, every day, is a gift to be enjoyed and treasured. Thoughts for you and wishing you peace.
Thank you DG.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I Did shop on Tuesday evening (tortillas & 2 payday candy bars)after I’d registered girls for softball. Then yesterday & today were no spend days. I’ll need to post that receipt here
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I feel like I've spent most of the past few days at the grocery store-- DH is convinced that we are going to "run out" if I don't shop, shop, shop!!! Too bad I'm severely limited by my $hopping fund$!!
--------
March spending challenge:
Spend: 2
No-spend: 4
-----
Friday evening 03/06/2020:

Kroger tissues4@ $1.25= $5
Sugar 2 @$2.19= $4.38
Finish Dishwasher $5.99
Kroger Veg Oil 2 @$4.59= $9.18
Kroger Eggs 2 @$1.48= $2.96
Mtn Dairy Milk 6 @$2.19= 13.14