Gayle's Frugal-Attempts Journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Gayle's Spend-less & save more

Post by Dgflorida »

FCL and rinty gave you good advice. Good luck.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

rinty wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:16 am Gayle I agree with FCL, any saving needs to be in your name only. Also your earnings need to go into an account in your name only. I am absolutely breathless with the idea of your DH withdrawing $1000 ( which I imagine was frittered rather than for some definite purchase or reason ) which has then landed you with DOUBLE your previous budgeted amount to pay off. Is this HELOC a bill you are expected to pay from the household budget ? Has he then given you more money to pay it each month ? For me, it would be worth an argument to make it very clear what a BURDEN his silly short term decision making skills have caused the family.

ANYWAY, whatever you decide I would say to you that you always put 50% of what you earn straight to savings that you don't touch.
The HELOC is a home-equity line of credit-- yes I'm expected to pay that from the household monies. He won't give me any more because he's already being pinched on his side between credit card payments, his student loan payments, and the mortgage. I've calculated what he pays out from the amounts he has leftover after giving me household money, and he's left with about $80 (depending on which part of the month) for his "personal spending" which includes gas for the trucks.

As for my savings accounts, they ARE in my name only, as is a checking account.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I'm behind on my no-spend posting again, at least only a week this time. Totals for last time were posted on June 5th:

Spend Days: 3
No Spend Days: 2
I want 15 no-spend days again.
---
So I had 2 no-spend days (June 6-7), spent on the 8th for food, spent on the 9th for gas, no-spend on the 10, 11th & 12th, then spent on 13th for snacks & gas, no-spend on 14th & 15th, spent on the 16th for food & gas, then no-spend today (17th) and tomorrow (18th) may also be a no-spend day. So here's my totals as of today June 17:

Spend days: 7
No-Spend Days: 10
Still aiming for 15 no-spend days, it looks like I'm getting close! :D

If possible, Tuesday may also be a no-spend day, but it depends on if the milk, bread & fruit holds out. So I'll spend on either Tuesday or Wednesday, no-spend on Thursday, and spend again on Friday for gas & some groceries -- am going to dsis' house in Logan for the weekend. I 'll try to come post on my next spend-day.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good luck
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I did spend on Monday June 18th as I took ds13 to dbro's that day (bought groceries), then no-spend on the 19th, 20, & 21st. I spent again on the 22nd & 23rd, no-spend on the 24th, then spent again today June 25th for gas to get us home (and for groceries after we came home). My Totals as of today are:

Spend Days: 11
No-spend days: 14
Wanting 15 no-spend days, and it looks like I'm almost there! :D

I don't plan to spend again until maybe Thursday, but hopefully Friday -- I didn't buy many veggies, so I'm going to have to use canned after these peppers, onions & potatoes are used up.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Since I spent on Monday, I didn't spend again until yesterday June 28 because it was payday, so I got in 2 more no-spend days. I'm determined that today will also be another no-spend day, but tomorrow June 30 may be another spend day. Sunday will be a no-spend day, and as I loaded up on milk (we had 9-1/2 gallons in fridge last night :o) yesterday, we should be fine until Tuesday.

Current totals are:
Spend days: 12
No-spend days: 17 (including today June 29)
Woohoo!! I made got more than my wanted 15 No-spend Days!! Yay me!!