Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Post by Jackielou »

I wonder if that is something we all seem to have learned from the past year, in our efforts to cut down on being out of the house and amongst what could be carriers of the virus.... Does sound a bit like the basis of many a movie I have seen, heck even sounds a bit like the hit TV show "The Walking Dead".

I did learn that using up the freezer and the pantry are the best way to go. I doubt if I will be getting to Costco until the cases drop a bit in my province so I have a feeling that my stock up shop won't be until the summer and the cost is going to be high.

I found some chicken that did not seal properly as I was putting away a garlic coil and some small steaks I found. That is going to be used on Saturday instead of the smoked sausage. I didn't notice any freezer burn, but if there is I will just trim it off and cook the rest. Minor freezer burn does not seem to change the taste very much.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:54 pm I cooked supper last night from the pantry, turning a box of Rice-a-Roni and a small can of pineapple into part of the components of pork-pineapple pilaf. The dish also used up two pork chops from the freezer, a half a can of diced tomatoes leftover from another meal and frozen, and some of the frozen cooked onions.
Recipe please. I am so tired of what dd and I are eating.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

ownedbydogs wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:59 am Recipe please. I am so tired of what dd and I are eating.
It's a very flexible recipe. I cube up two small pork chops and half a medium onion and saute it in some olive oil. Add the rice-pasta from beef Rice-a-Roni and brown the rice-pasta. Open a small can of chunk pineapple and drain most of the juice. Add the pineapple, two cups of water, the seasoning mix from the box, and ground black pepper and dry parsley to taste. Cook as directed on the box.

You can add diced tomatoes at the cooking stage if you like. I used a half can leftover from chili: they were already drained and did not add much liquid to the dish. It's also good with a handful of diced sweet bell peppers cooked with the onion. If you don't have pork, chicken works well.
Mackie
Happychoice

Post by Happychoice »

I have been very grateful over this month that I have a stocked pantry. Except for $20 spent on salad ingredients early in Jan, I've not spent "out of bank account" since the second week in Dec. I redeemed PC Optimum points at No Frills for my pre-Christmas food purchases and have created meals from what's on hand. I'll need to buy some basics next week.
Happiness is a choice!
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I have not done a grocery shop - being that I have cold symptoms and can't go to work, I don't feel right about going to the grocery store. Thank goodness we are well stocked with the basics and more - and if we really do need something, DD will go get it.

I need to make homemade bread tomorrow and I want to make some creamy carrot soup. There are still several jars of various kinds of homemade soup on the freezer and a couple servings of chili.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I am afraid we've spent quite a bit on groceries. Since DH does not know how to cook, he bought some convenience foods, heat and eat stuff, and single serving things for DS and I while we have been quarantined.

We probably won't go back to the grocery store until Monday if it's left up to me. The pantry is well-stocked. We're a little low on milk, but I can open a can of evaporated milk and reconstitute it for cooking and coffee.
Mackie