Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Post by Jackielou »

So my use up the pantry challenge this week consisted of a bag of frozen turkey made into tetrazzini, and a bag of frozen roast beef made into a curry. Both made enough to have for a second meal so that means two more nights of only planning sides, and more pantry/fridge use up before I go shopping tomorrow.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Tonight I'm using up some white beans from the pantry, 2 of dd's carrots that I'm "rescuing", one onion, 2 stalks of celery and some frozen spinach to make homemade veggie burgers. I should be able to make 8 nice size burgers.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I ended up getting 12 good sized veggie burgers out of the mixture I made. I had to buy "household things" today - dog food, laundry soap, coffee filters, bleach, etc. I decided NO groceries - I have plenty of things on hand to make another week's worth of meals.

I talked (nicely) with DD the other day about her food waste. She is aware of it and wants to change it. She said I should help myself to anything that looks like it may go to waste - which I do - and will continue to do because I can't stand for food to be thrown away. I often have to change my menu plan though, to incorporate the things she has purchased that will go bad if not used.

Several good sized carrots still need to be used up - I will make soup with them later today. I have 3 more apples to use up - I'm thinking fried apples over waffles for either supper tonight or breakfast tomorrow, and will put the leftovers into the freezer.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Tonight another can of tomato soup was used - 9 cans left, and two slices of bread bought on markdown and pulled from the freezer to make grilled cheese.

I need to use up about half a package of celery and some more carrots - I was just not feeling the cooking feeling tonight - and it is entirely possible they won't get used until the weekend.

The cans of evaporated milk I got for .27 cents each have all been used for adding to the cats' food.

Last night I used up the last of the 4 boxes of whole wheat spaghetti that I got for .88 cents each. I made a sauce of garlic and olive oil and several spices, some nutritional yeast and parmigiana cheese and added some frozen spinach. Stirred in the cooked spaghetti and it was beyond delicious. I had that for supper last night, lunch today and have enough left for lunch tomorrow.

Still eating that danged oatmeal for breakfast - I don't know what my daughter was thinking when she bought her weight in oats at the start of the pandemic. I need to talk with her about donating some of it - I'll never get through it before it goes bad. I know oats last a long time - but wow.

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Used up a head of lettuce, a cucumber, and the remaining cabbage so far this week.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I have a question; I have an unopened 23 ounce cannister of Hershey's unsweetened Cocoa powder that has an expiration date of June 2017. It has either been in the refrigerator or freezer during this time. Is it still ok to use or should I pitch it? If usable what can it be used for? Thanks.

Bev