Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

LWolfT wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:05 pm Finished a couple of partially used boxes of "mug desserts" in the pantry. One for mug cake the other for a pudding-type dessert with topping. Also used up another box of pudding ( Not DH's favorite, since he's not much for coconut.)

We're down to our last canned soup, and I just restocked the cereal supply with a couple of sales.
Lolf what kind of mug desserts do you get - and are they good? I don't have a microwave here at home but I sometimes think about picking up a few to keep on hand at work.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Today I am making baked potatoes (6) and a thick vegetable step with big chunks of potatoes and carrots, some finely diced and caramelized onion (the only way I can eat onion) and the last of a bag of frozen peas. Also plan on making bb lentils and some rice & beans. Just trying to use up some of the mega stash of food that is here before buying more. This will be my food for the next several days and I also have oatmeal, bananas, canned peaches & pears and frozen blueberries to round it out. Popcorn and pretzels in case I get snack-happy.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Pulled out a container of frozen chili from the freezer. That will be supper tonight along with hopefully some pasta (macaroni) which will use up what I have in the kitchen and I can put the two bags from the bedroom pantry in the container.

Still lots to use up, but I am trying. Mostly freezer things so those I will work on using up first.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I did some use it up today. I had thawed out a couple of tiny steaks I bought marked down. I cooked them and cut into strips. While the steak was cooking Iii took a jar with just a dab of salsa left, added some water, shook it and poured it in with the steak. I also have several condiment cups of mild and medium taco sauce and poured half of those little containers into the pan. OMG it turned out so good! Heated corn tortillas with some grated cheese, added a tomato that had been languishing in the fridge and some leftover chopped salad. Soft tacos and were they ever good!

I love doing use-it-ups and hope this thread stays active to keep me motivated.

Bev
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:29 am I plan on using up some tins of tuna from the back pantry today. They are getting close to their use by date.
Jackie I have checked with the tuna industry and they said canned tuna is good for at least 3 to 5 years from the use by or best by date. Not sure about the tuna in the packets.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Beverley wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:22 pm I did some use it up today. I had thawed out a couple of tiny steaks I bought marked down. I cooked them and cut into strips. While the steak was cooking Iii took a jar with just a dab of salsa left, added some water, shook it and poured it in with the steak. I also have several condiment cups of mild and medium taco sauce and poured half of those little containers into the pan. OMG it turned out so good! Heated corn tortillas with some grated cheese, added a tomato that had been languishing in the fridge and some leftover chopped salad. Soft tacos and were they ever good!

I love doing use-it-ups and hope this thread stays active to keep me motivated.

Bev
Bev this sounds so yummy and a great save using things up.
Janet Alliesmama