Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Post by Jackielou »

LWolfT wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:52 am Been making an effort to use up the boxed cake mixes and puddings. Some of that was bought on markdown, so best to move those things along. At the moment, we're working on chocolate cupcakes.

BTW, since cabbage was mentioned, I will add thinly cut cabbage to salads and to stir fry. Slaw's always good, too.
Never even thought of adding cabbage to stir fry. Thanks for the idea Wolf.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

This is not going well right now. I have been replacing items as quickly as possible. I think it is because of the uptick in variant cases here in my province. I am trying to be ready for a total shut down, which my province has managed to hold off on (well most of Canada, thinking on it). If it doesn't occur I will be making a concerted effort to get things used up so I can do a stock up come the fall.
Jackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Yesterday was a good day for using up things that are in excess around here. Black beans became the base for homemade veggie burgers, oatmeal went into homemade protein bars.

I roasted a lot of fresh vegetables that were purchased on super mark-down and had to be rescued immediately. Lunches this week at work will be salads (marked down salad kits) with roasted veggies and a crumbled veggie burger on top.

I have a lot of potatoes so I may be making Janet's potato salad recipe this week, leaving out the eggs. I haven't had potato salad in forever and it sounds so good - and a good way to use a few potatoes.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

LWolfT, I went backwards on the boxed mixes and restocked. Since we're not eating out or buying ice cream any more, we've really enjoyed the occasional cake or pan of brownies. Food Lion has had a sale on boxed cake mix and now boxes of brownie mix five for $5. I now have seven boxes of cake mix and five boxes of brownie mix. :-D
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

MackerelCat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:07 am LWolfT, I went backwards on the boxed mixes and restocked. Since we're not eating out or buying ice cream any more, we've really enjoyed the occasional cake or pan of brownies. Food Lion has had a sale on boxed cake mix and now boxes of brownie mix five for $5. I now have seven boxes of cake mix and five boxes of brownie mix. :-D
You can't beat those prices. A frugal treat.
Jackie
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

MackerelCat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:07 am LWolfT, I went backwards on the boxed mixes and restocked. Since we're not eating out or buying ice cream any more, we've really enjoyed the occasional cake or pan of brownies. Food Lion has had a sale on boxed cake mix and now boxes of brownie mix five for $5. I now have seven boxes of cake mix and five boxes of brownie mix. :-D
Well, I'll confess that I, too, went backwards. Our Kroger had a great sale on boxed cake mix (50 cents a box!), so I bought the limit of 5 boxes (2 of them were brownie mixes). I am making sure to pull the older ones out first. Just finished off the one I baked for Easter.