Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

I hope it's okay that I'm "reviving" this challenge as it will be most helpful to me, and hopefully others. Since yesterday I have used up the last of the flour and some of dd's vanilla yogurt (froze the rest) to make "scone bread".

Today I am using up the last quart of red beans and the last cup of rice and some red onions rescued from DD to make a "chili" of sorts - actually more of a "beans & rice" dish.

I'm determined to make it till the second full week of January (so week of Jan. 9th) not going grocery shopping - fingers crossed!

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:09 am
I hope it's okay that I'm "reviving" this challenge as it will be most helpful to me, and hopefully others. Since yesterday I have used up the last of the flour and some of dd's vanilla yogurt (froze the rest) to make "scone bread".

Today I am using up the last quart of red beans and the last cup of rice and some red onions rescued from DD to make a "chili" of sorts - actually more of a "beans & rice" dish.

I'm determined to make it till the second full week of January (so week of Jan. 9th) not going grocery shopping - fingers crossed!
No problem with reviving it. This is something we all need to work on (me especially at times).

You can do it!

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I really need to get to using up oatmeal and raisins. The oatmeal (4 big canisters) was free from my daughter. The raisins (two big canisters) were free from the food distribution. Oatmeal with raisins is not my favorite breakfast. I did make some muffins using a little bit of both - but still a lot of both left.

Does anyone have suggestions for other things to make with oatmeal and raisins? Does anyone ever eat or know how to make baked oatmeal? Can you put oatmeal in the blender and turn it into oat flour and use it instead of white flour?

I need to do some research - don't want anything to go to waste - and - wow, I have free breakfast for like - 6 months.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

You could use some of the oatmeal and raisins to make granola bar type things. Check online for a recipe. I have one somewhere, just don't know where in the cookbook mess it is. Another area that needs to be decluttered yet again.

I make oatmeal and raisin cookies.

Hope that helps a little bit.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:26 am
You could use some of the oatmeal and raisins to make granola bar type things. Check online for a recipe. I have one somewhere, just don't know where in the cookbook mess it is. Another area that needs to be decluttered yet again.

I make oatmeal and raisin cookies.

Hope that helps a little bit.
Great idea Jackie, those would be great to take to work - I get soooooo hungry at work - they would be a great 2:30 snack!! I'm going to look at recipes - I don't have any flour but I have honey and maple syrup and nuts and peanut butter - I think I can do this, thanks for the suggestion!

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Following Jackie's suggestion, I made some granola bars - and I think they will be delicious! Was able to use up 3 cups of oats (I doubled the recipe) some dates I had in the freezer, a cup of DD's honey, a cup of natural peanut butter, the last of my almonds (bought in the "yellow sticker" section of the grocery store for a third the regular price).

I chopped up the chocolate covered macadamia nuts my friend gave me and added those, along with some dried cranberries. I have no doubt I will be making these again to use up more of that dang oatmeal!