Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Use Up the Pantry Challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

I'm not feeling the "weekend cooking" that I do - that really does save me SO much money - so I need to talk myself into it. It looks like a big cabbage that DD bought and put in my frige several weeks ago may get tossed. That really bugs me - but I can't run myself ragged rescuing everything she buys and doesn't use - although she is getting MUCH better about that.

I'm thinking I bought way more supplies for our cake pops than we're going to need so will see -- and then hatch a plan for using up the excess in other baked goods.

Still working on eating up that darned oatmeal. I like it but wow, that's a lot of oatmeal!

DD wants me to "shop" her stash for things like pasta instead of buying more, so I will look and see what she has - several huge totes full of stuff that will not get used if I don't start "shopping" it. I prefer and normally buy whole wheat pasta - but free is free and I can't stand food waste.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I am so glad that I have those ready made meals prepared. I have used up a few of them already and slowly but surely the store in both freezers is going down.

There are a few leftovers in the fridge up here that will hopefully be used today. I have enough butternut squash soup for two bowls (one for me and one for youngest DS who really wants to try some) for lunch and Hubby can have the sweet and sour meatballs with noodles. That only leaves coleslaw and leftover sloppy joe mix. The coleslaw will get used tonight depending on whether we have chicken or pizza as our take out meal this week. We do have coupons for the chicken, none for the pizza.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

So while, not exactly the pantry, there will be a few things heading home with youngest DS this morning. Mostly freezer meals and that loaf of bread I made for him yesterday. Clears out room in my fridge and fridge freezer, which in turn enables me to bring up some more of those ready meals from the big freezer in the basement (my one trip down the stairs that day).
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Used up the cabbage in the crisper yesterday and discovered that we both like sautéed cabbage. Another method of cooking is always welcome around here.
Jackie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I used up to partial boxes of different shapes of pasta making a chicken casserole for my work lunches this week.

Homeless Buddy left some items that have to be baked in our freezer when he moved out because his studio apartment does not have an oven. I need to go through those and see what we can use up. I'm not a fan of corn dogs, so those might wind up being tossed.
Mackie
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Been making an effort to use up the boxed cake mixes and puddings. Some of that was bought on markdown, so best to move those things along. At the moment, we're working on chocolate cupcakes.

BTW, since cabbage was mentioned, I will add thinly cut cabbage to salads and to stir fry. Slaw's always good, too.