Carleen's Countdown to 2020...

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Carleen

Re: Carleen's Countdown to 2020...

Post by Carleen »

Hello, Everyone!!!

We had our moments of sunshine on Thursday early. Then in the early evening we had the worst thunder storm I have ever seen. Winds up to 70 mph, penny-size hail, and torrential rain. Of course, Willow was in her closet! Actually, she must have sensed the storm's approach because she disappeared before we could see anything happening. There were tornadoes but not right here, thankfully. Lots and lots of standing water still today.

The spending we've done was for prescriptions so that's a good thing budget-wise. And Hubby is doing physical therapy again for his back issues so there is a co-pay on that, too.

Guess I'd better get back to my busy-ness. Bye for now. Stay safe and don't drive through standing water!!!
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Greetings, Everyone!!!

We have had very short intervals of sunshine followed by nasty (VERY NASTY) storms. Rain has been torrential, high winds, thunder and lightening. Lots of standing water in fields. Poor Willow is kind of tense these days because she is so terrified of thunder and lightening. She's out of her closet this morning but I don't expect that to last as another storm is on its way. It is now dark and gusty.

Hubby and i did get out yesterday for a mercy run to the food store. When it started to get very dark, we made sure to get home before the downpour. We're not afraid of being out in the rain but because there isn't anywhere for the water to go, the roads tend to flood. Anyway it was a frugal trip as we stuck to our list and a few coupons.

The newspapers are calling to me so I'm going to go read them. Stay safe - don't underestimate the power of storms. Bye for now.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Carleen wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:44 am Greetings, Everyone!!!

We have had very short intervals of sunshine followed by nasty (VERY NASTY) storms. Rain has been torrential, high winds, thunder and lightening. Lots of standing water in fields. Poor Willow is kind of tense these days because she is so terrified of thunder and lightening. She's out of her closet this morning but I don't expect that to last as another storm is on its way. It is now dark and gusty.

Hubby and i did get out yesterday for a mercy run to the food store. When it started to get very dark, we made sure to get home before the downpour. We're not afraid of being out in the rain but because there isn't anywhere for the water to go, the roads tend to flood. Anyway it was a frugal trip as we stuck to our list and a few coupons.

The newspapers are calling to me so I'm going to go read them. Stay safe - don't underestimate the power of storms. Bye for now.
You are smart to get home before the storms not only for the flooding but the lightning. Lightning terrifies me. I’m afraid to even stop at my mailbox if it is lightning. (I’m sort of like Willow!) Most years we have someone in my area killed or badly injured by lightning. They say we are the lightning capital of the country.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Hello, Everyone!!!

The sun is shining - nifty!!! We saw a lot of clouds and drizzle earlier but now all is well. We did, however, have a nasty storm during the night. Lots of standing water in yards and fields. Our lilac bush is loaded with buds but I did see a small branch lying on the ground - probably from the wind and heavy rain.

Our granddaughter (the one who lives locally) came over after school to continuing digging weeds in the flower beds. She did a very good job and said she has a week off between school and summer camp job that she can use to put down new mulch. Yay!!! Hubby and I used to do this stuff but he can't do anything that involves bending or lifting. I am still battling with my knee so I'm basically out of commission for jobs like that. When we put those beds in 15 years ago we were both in fairly decent shape but now is a different story. Blick...

Washing bedding today and I have to get a battery for my wrist watch. Not very exciting but necessary!!! Hubby and I went for our usual Wednesday morning breakfast and it's always a nice thing to just sit and talk (no TV, no phone, etc).

Willow just came out of her closet - yay! See you all later. Stay safe.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Wow - it's Friday already!!! Hello and Howdy!!!

More rain and thunderstorm last night. Willow went to her closet but is out of there now. Poor thing!!! The farmers should have finished planting corn by now but they cannot go into the fields as they are muddy and many have standing water.

Our granddaughter (the one who lives locally and is a super-duper weeder) graduated from 8th grade last night. We went to the doings and it was basically OK - just very long to "turn tassels" for 38 kids. It's a private Christian school that goes just to 8th grade. The kids will be going far-afield for high school so it was a happy-sad occasion for them. But our granddaughter graduated with honors and has already been accepted into the honors program at the public high school she will be attending. That school is close to their home which cuts out the long commute, also. We're very proud of her!!! Our daughter and her hubby will feel as if they are millionaires as there won't be that huge tuition in public school. Some fees, of course, but nothing even resembling the tuition they were paying!!!

There will be a graduation party later on and her brother and family will fly in from Texas for that. They are the ones who made Hubby and me Great Grandparents!!! Then we will be able to see the new baby!!! Yay!!!

No spending planned for today which is a good thing. No real news - I just wanted to let you all know what our small family has been up to lately! Bye for now. Stay safe and even if you stay home all day, remember that helps to keep us on the frugal straight and narrow!
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Greetings to All Who Stop in Here!!!

Checking in as the weather gloom as settled upon us once again. We actually had a few minutes of sunshine early this morning but that is long-gone now. Rain/storms are in the forecast for next several days... yuccaaaaaa......

Willow was looking out the front windows and turned around and headed for her closet. She must have heard thunder in the very distance. Good sensors in that cat!!!

Continuing to pray for all of us who are in the path of very nasty and dangerous storms, those of us who are dealing with health/pain issues, and, of course, those who are not doing well with health issues (hubbies, etc.). Remember that putting our worries into God's hands is NOT the same thing as giving up. Accepting a meal, letting someone run an errand for us, and pointing someone toward the laundry room is not a sign of weakness. Accepting help is a difficult thing for people (I had to learn this the hard way!).

I'd better get going. Not much to do today but all of these small chores are things that I can do. Stay safe and enjoy your frugalness.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout