Carleen's Countdown to 2020...

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Carleen

Re: Carleen's Countdown to 2020...

Post by Carleen »

Howdy, Everyone!!!

The dishwasher looks grand!!! We purchased an expensive one and the satisfaction is wonderful. Well worth it.

It's a wonderful day here on the Prairie. Sunshine and a bit of a breeze with moderate temps - YAY!

In a few minutes we're going to a couple of garage sales to browse. I put dollar bills and some change in my pocket and that's all I use - no huge purchases. Mostly, Hubby looks for books and I look for ideas! Certainly these forays are cheap entertainment!!!

See you all later. Stay safe - there are crazies out there. Frugally yours, Carleen...
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Happy Saturday to Everyone Who Stops in Here Today!!!

It's a bright and beautiful day here and I'm loving it!!! Willow goes from window sill to window sill looking at birds who are starting to return after a weird winter.

We need a new mattress so might start our fact-finding missions to stores. One place has a sale going on so we might use their price as a starting point. Hubby is checking on-line for the appropriate type of mattress we should purchase. Since I have arthritis throughout my entire body (actually, two types), we have to be sure to get one that can be adjusted - raise feet, head, etc. This is not an easy task.

Gotta go get busy. Just wanted check in. Take care and enjoy your frugal day.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Debbi64

Post by Debbi64 »

Carleen ~

Also, our "motor" lasted a quarter of a century (yes, 25 years!). The new one is almost "silent" ~ https://www.sleepnumber.com/
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Have a good day as well.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Hello and Happy Tuesday!!!

It's a grand and glorious day here. Lots of sunshine and skies that are as-blue-as-blue-can-be!!!

I got my hair cut this morning which was budgeted for. It was just a $12 expenditure for a wash and cut - I "styled" it myself which entails just a round brush and a blowdryer.

Because I gave all of our twin-size sheets to our daughter years ago when our granddaughter switched from a crib into a twin bed, we bought some inexpensive sheets for the daybed that will be set up in the spare bedroom. The bed that is there now is a "California Twin" that was purchased for our grandson who is VERY tall. I took it back when my father came to live with us. Now it is no longer needed. This way, if our granddaughter (the one who lives locally) wants to spend the night here, she will have a nice bed with the daybed. But the room will not look like a real bedroom.

A "California Twin" is just a twin that is longer and does require special longer sheets. It is really beyond its time and will be put with the recycling stuff this week. The sheets are very worn, too, so out they go.

I have been wanting to redo that room since Daddy passed away but it kind of hurt a bit - another reminder that he's not here anymore. But now is a good time to do it - my heart can handle it better now. The room will no longer be "Daddy's room".

That's about it for me right now. I've been working on small projects - the stuff that is small but takes a lot of time with sorting, etc. I really don't like clutter but it does tend to find a home with us!
Bye for now. Stay safe.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Another chapter of the continuing saga of the spare bedroom:
The bed has been stripped and the mattress and foundation will go to the garage for pickup tomorrow. The only thing that is salvageable is the pillowcases which I will keep. I washed them with the new sheet set (goes on the daybed when we haul it upstairs) and the sheets from our bed (queen-size). Our housekeeper changes the sheets on our bed on Wednesday mornings so the sheet washing is in progress now.

Today, I will also wash the blankets which are in good shape. I have a mattress pad that goes on the daybed so all is well there. Just the heavy stuff needs to be moved around in that room and then the daybed will come upstairs. Whew!!!

Hubby and I went for our Wednesday morning breakfast (budgeted) and enjoyed the conversation and food, as usual. Today is his birthday so I'm having mercy on him with moving furniture today!!!

On our way back home from breakfast we stopped at the food store with my list, coupons and a separate list of "free" items to get there. We adhered to the lists and coupons for things that we usually use and noticed on the receipt that we had saved 80% of the total bill. To see it in print is a real eye-opener!!! So for a grand total of $100 we actually paid $20. Pretty good for this long-time frugalerl!!!

ALSO (and this is big), be certain to check your receipt before you leave the store. Hubby did that and we not given the sale price for an item and it made a huge difference when all was said and done. Be vigilant. I could not see the prices as they were rung up so we checked our prices before we left. The items in question were a buy one on special/get one free offer on packages of pork chops. Just a reminder to you all!!!
See you all later. Best wishes for a happy frugal day!!!
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout