Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:20 am Shiela, $100 for gas for the year is amazing! Janet, $20/month is amazing, too, given that you live in the country.

Last year I budgeted $40/month and went over it a bit, $523 for the year so about $44/month. That does not include my trips to Plains, Ga. and Fort Lauderdale which I put in my travel budget.

I had already decided to watch my gas more carefully and will now aim for $30/month. Gas is cheap right now ($1.97 at my regular station yesterday) but they say it will go up in the spring as usual.
Florida cat.. I am lucky that my aide is allowed 75 miles per week to take me places or to run errands for me.She is also able to call for extra mileage if is it needed. So I only use my car for short trips in to town or if I decide I want to go for a ride on my own. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

BevMoore wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:24 am Gas is so cheap where you'all live! Here in Cali I am thrilled I have been able to fond gas for less than $3.00 a gallon. Yesterday I filled up one of my vans for $2.68 per gallon, cheapest I have seen yet. I will be filling the other one today. Along with finding less expensive sources of gas we are driving less so that helps. Too much traffic here to do much in the way of driving. No fun at all.

Bev
Bev gas use to run around $3.00 or more here as well but it has gone down to around $2.03 in the last 6 weeks A little bit up and then down. .. Not sure why but enjoying the break. Hope you continue to get a bit of break too. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

So much for the no spend challenge.. I just bought a food dehydrator. I belong to another forum and one of the ladies posted there was a clearance at Walmart, online, for food dehydrators. I bought a $222.14 dehydrator for $59.89. That included $7.00 for a three year extended warranty. The wonderful thing is that I had $10.00 in gift cards for Walmart and $ 30.00 cash for the sale of my diabetic testing strips. So total cost for everything was $19.89. I do have a very old dehydrator inherited from my Mom but I am not sure if it even works properly. She has been dead since 2003 and she had it for years before that. She use to make some very yummy food with her dehydrator. I am hoping to dry more of my peaches and apples and some of the mulberries that I will forage. A few years ago all of the mulberries I picked were lost when my fridge died and I had frozen berries and fruit in the freezer. I have a ton of canning jars from my SIL so it will not be a problem to put the dried produce in the jars. I like the idea of dehydrating for prolonged storage. It takes less space to store things. The grocery store I go to the most, Ruler, sells their bananas for only .18 cents a pound. I would love to do a stock up from them and dehydrate some bananas. They can be added to cereal and used for making banana bread and eating out of hand as a snack. Money spent but for a good cause.
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet, I think we have to spend money sometimes to save money. I have many kitchen items and gadgets because while I do love to cook, it is cheaper to cook from scratch than eat out or eat only pre-made things. Those gadgets and appliances save me money and allow me to cook from scratch by saving me time too. I think you got a great deal on the dehydrator.

Today was a no spend day, not that it really matters as I have a budget but tomorrow is bill paying day. All meals were from home today (most left-over) and all will be from home tomorrow. I have a friend coming over for breakfast in the morning. She is very busy, so breakfast was the most non-intrusive time to get together.

I have my meals planned out for next week and the grocery list made up. I think the total will be around $15.00- most is fresh veggies. I am not sure when I will go to the grocery store, but at least the list is ready.

I need to take the car in for an oil change, so may do that either tomorrow or over the weekend- again budgeted.

Well, off to start getting things ready for the night.
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

alliesmama4 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:15 pm I think you have the right idea about your RM. When you are in the military it is important to receive mail since they are far away from home, family, and friends. There are times I spend more when I could be frugal but you have to judge what is more important being frugal or sharing something or doing something for someone. There is a difference between being frugal or being miserly. Janet Alliesmama
I agree Janet. He is an awesome man, and I certainly want him to feel thought of and loved while he is away.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I am in too, however, my posts on here will likely be reposted from my spend-less-save-more journal. Here's today's:
-------------------------------------------
January 4th already! I have not spent since this year started!! :lol: However, today I Will go shopping, but not because we are out of milk, oh no, being back in school has dropped the milk consumption drastically -- there was still 3 gallons there this morning. :D

My current totals then, including today's spending (soon to happen):

Spend: 1
No-spend: 3

I hope to have 16-18 No Spend days this month.