Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:42 pm Congrats on paying off a credit card.
Thank your Dg. It is a good feeling.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

There are always new challenges. Today found out I have gallstones so will have to go over food in stockpile to see what I have on hand and to see what I will need to buy in order to go on a gallbladder diet. Also heard from the Drs office that is performing my esophagus surgery. The Dr is going out of town for Thanksgiving and he was concerned about being out of town so soon after my surgery. He did not want to be out of town in case I hemorrhage. I was also informed I will be on a liquid diet up to 5 days and then gradually phased in to a soft diet. So I need to figure out what I have on hand what will fit all of my medical needs and what I need to buy to fill in without too much extra expense.

After talking to the nurse I have decided to put Teddi in a kennel for a few days when I have my surgery. He is a sweetheart but at the same time he does require minimal assistance that I may be restricted on for a few days. So I am going to go over the budget again to see if I can squeeze anything extra out of the budget to cover it. He will need an update on certain shots in order to be boarded. I did call around to several places where I use to board Allie and found that one was much cheaper and actually will be more comfortable for Teddi.
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Janet, you have your hands full. (((Hugs)))

So did the doctor postpone your surgery so it wouldn’t be during Thanksgiving week? Could you buy bottles of Ensure-type drinks for your liquid diet? I wonder if that might be covered by Medicare if your doctor ordered it for you?

Will your gallstones require surgery at some point? My uncle in Nevada had gallbladder surgery and they had him go to a rehab place for a week or two post-op because he lived alone.

Try to rest as much as possible.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:35 am Janet, you have your hands full. (((Hugs)))

So did the doctor postpone your surgery so it wouldn’t be during Thanksgiving week? Could you buy bottles of Ensure-type drinks for your liquid diet? I wonder if that might be covered by Medicare if your doctor ordered it for you?

Will your gallstones require surgery at some point? My uncle in Nevada had gallbladder surgery and they had him go to a rehab place for a week or two post-op because he lived alone.

Try to rest as much as possible.
The Dr postponed the surgery since he will be going out of town for the holiday and he did not want to be out of town if I hemorrhage. It is a very delicate surgery in a bad area of my esophagus.

I do not know if I could use ensure. I have tried it before and it did not sit well with my tummy. My insurance company, years ago, use to send me coupons for it thinking they were doing me a favor but it made me want to throw up..lol. Although you have given me an idea. I will call the Drs office next week to see if I can have a homemade shake of some sort. At least with the surgery being postponed it gives me more time to think and prepare foods ahead of time.

I am going to try a gallstone diet and as long as I can keep the pain decreased I am hoping to be ok. One of my nieces is a nurse at a nursing home near here and if I do have surgery she insists that I come there so it will be nice to see her more often. However right now going to try holistic things like diet, bone broth, and vitamins to see what happens. Thank you for the advise and concern.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Ensure didn't sit well on my tummy either. I concluded it was the soybean oil they were using at the time. I avoid soybean oil. I have for decades and it was a wise decision.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:11 am Ensure didn't sit well on my tummy either. I concluded it was the soybean oil they were using at the time. I avoid soybean oil. I have for decades and it was a wise decision.
Not sure what my problem was but it was not a good response to what was suppose to be a good thing for you.
Janet Alliesmama