Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Yesterday I had the last of the bacon with a fried egg for breakfast. I had bought thick cut bacon and now realize that you do not get as many rasher's of bacon compared to the regular cut bacon especially if you share some with a cute little doggie who looks so sweetly and hopefully while you eat your bacon. So after this, if and when, I buy bacon I will skip the thick bacon. I still have another package in the freezer. The bacon was free BOGO and the egg was .58 cents a dozen so the cost was about (.04 cents). Very cheap meal.

I went for my MRI and since it was around 1:00 PM when I was finished we stopped at Denny's for lunch. I had my usual half order of nacho's. It was gluten free but did have cheese. With the tip and a charity donation it came to $9.00.

Dinner I was stuffed and too tired to make dinner so I had the last of the canned tomato soup with the last of my gluten free rye bread. I toasted the bread and cut it up in to cubes to use as croutons in the soup. A very tasty way to use up one slice of bread. The cost was minimal.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I have been completely unmotivated today. I have to take a muscle relaxer close to bedtime and it knocks me for a loop the next day. I will see if I can cut it in half tonight. It is very tiny but I do have a pill spliter.

Breakfast was old fashioned oats with cinnamon, a tiny bit of sugar and butter, a few dried mulberries, and a dash of almond milk. Not fond of milk in my oatmeal but I am trying to use up the big carton that I bought before it goes bad. Mid morning had a cup of English breakfast tea with some almond milk.

Lunch was I a few baby carrots with ranch dressing and a handful of almond crackers.

Finally decided to get busy around 3:30 PM. I made a spinach frittata. Similar to a quiche but does not use milk and only 1/4 c of sour cream. I only have a little bit of sour cream left and will use the rest to make nachos for lunch tomorrow. I also used some onion from the fridge and about 4 oz of feta cheese. It used 8 eggs which was great since I bought 12 for .58 cents. I will break things down later when I find the receipt for the feta. Right now it is baking in the oven.

Finally made the pasta with the spaghetti squash and leftover ground beef and onions etc. At first the spaghetti s squash did not look good after being frozen. However I put it in a strainer and mashed it with a spoon to get the excess water out and it broke up nicely in the pan with the sauce. That will be dinner with some Parmesan cheese sprinkled over it.

Since getting my rear in gear I think I will try to make some gf muffins after the dinner dishes are done. Hope my energy lasts.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:25 am Yesterday I had the last of the bacon with a fried egg for breakfast. I had bought thick cut bacon and now realize that you do not get as many rasher's of bacon compared to the regular cut bacon especially if you share some with a cute little doggie who looks so sweetly and hopefully while you eat your bacon. So after this, if and when, I buy bacon I will skip the thick bacon. I still have another package in the freezer. The bacon was free BOGO and the egg was .58 cents a dozen so the cost was about (.04 cents). Very cheap meal.

I went for my MRI and since it was around 1:00 PM when I was finished we stopped at Denny's for lunch. I had my usual half order of nacho's. It was gluten free but did have cheese. With the tip and a charity donation it came to $9.00.

Dinner I was stuffed and too tired to make dinner so I had the last of the canned tomato soup with the last of my gluten free rye bread. I toasted the bread and cut it up in to cubes to use as croutons in the soup. A very tasty way to use up one slice of bread. The cost was minimal.
Awwww, Janet, I share with my pups too - a habit that often costs me a whole extra egg when I'm really hungry. What ya gonna do? :-)
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:44 pm Awwww, Janet, I share with my pups too - a habit that often costs me a whole extra egg when I'm really hungry. What ya gonna do? :-)
I know you just have to cook extra or share and sometimes I do both...lol.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

The spaghetti squash pasta was good and used up a lot of odds and ends. I still have one more container of squash in the freezer.

I taste tested the frittata. It is a bit bland. Next time need to add more onion and feta cheese. Maybe even some garlic powder and bell pepper. Also the edges, where I tasted it, were a bit too eggy for me. A whole slice might taste differently but I think I will look for a different recipe.

I always dream big.. no muffins will be made tonight. By the time I get the kitchen cleaned up I will be wiped out. I cannot stand in one spot too long due to loosing my balance so have to start and stop... sometimes just walk around or go sit down for a while.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Still managing to eat out of the fridge, freezer and pantry.

Breakfast was the spinach frittita.Not really that good. It needs more flavor it is too bland. Next time I make one will add more onion, garlic or garlic powder. I only use about 4 oz of feta cheese trying to be frugal and the taste is not there like it should be. Also using just eggs and 1/4 cup of sour cream it has a rubbery texture. I guess I need to get use to that since I am eliminating dairy. I had a cup of English breakfast tea with almond milk.

Lunch was a handful of almond flour crackers with peanut butter and the last of the blueberry jam. Also had a small cup of ham and potato soup from the freezer.

Mid afternoon snack was a really large apple from my tree. It was so crisp and juicy not like the apples from the grocery store. Teddi shared it with me in tiny little doggie bites. I had about 1/4 c of peanuts with mine.

Dinner is in the oven. Brussels sprouts. $1.70. A bit pricey but they are so good when baked in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I slice them thin and then bake them until they caramelize a bit. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar before serving. Olive oil and balsamic vinegar are both from Big Lots. The potato was .99 cents for 5 lbs. Dessert is a store bought apple that is going soft baked with a little bit of butter, cinnamon, and sugar. Towards the end of baking added some chopped walnuts so they could toast for better flavor. They were free from Oh Nuts. The oven timer just dinged so off to eat dinner. I had to finish the potato in the microwave due to my large convection oven does not always work like it should. Forgot to mention butter, salt, pepper, and a little bit of the feta cheese crumbles will go on the baked potato.
Janet Alliesmama