Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:26 am Thank you for your sympathy regarding the DVD's. I understand that hubs has a habit of yelling as a result of having to defend himself from childhood bullies and well meaning "You can't do that" people. He achieved as much as any normal person does and did it as a clearly physically crippled person. There has to be adaptation mechanisms to accomplish that. My dad was also crippled with childhood polio and he still succeeded financially in the Depression. He yelled a lot too. So it was something I was familiar with, but no one ever gets used to it.

I also agree with you regarding the library DVD's. We had bad luck with them as well.
My brother has PTSD from Vietnam and has had two nervous breakdowns. The second one after his oldest son was killed in an Industrial accident at the age of 25. I try not to bother him but sometimes just the simplest thing can set him off on a tangent.. I feel very sorry for him and my SIL. He means well but at the same time he can stress you out too. Although when it comes down to the wire I know if I need financial help he will do so without any hesitation.However like I said I try not to let him know what is going on with my life. He has enough with having raised 7 children and two of them have died as adults.. He has an adult grandson in a nursing home that he is a guardian of and numerous adult grand kids that are also always looking for help. He has done well in his life making money and should enjoy his golden years with his wife but it seems like someone is always in need.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Decisions, decisions... I do not know whether or not to buy Teddi dog food at Petco. I have earned a $5.00 credit which was earned by points from previous purchases and his food would only come to around $3.00 but he is so picky. Sometimes he will eat it and other times he will not. He had a little bit of cooked potato and a little bit of rotisserie chicken left for his dinner tonight so I cooked the last potato and used a chicken tender from the freezer to help make a meal. He has enough chicken for tomorrow morning and enough potato for 2 to 3 meals.

I have more chicken tenders thawing out for tomorrow. I bought them a while back on sale. I am planning on making chicken Parmesan with some of them. I was rummaging through the freezer checking on what I have and found several containers of leftover pasta sauce and thought I would combine them to make the sauce. Found one small container that I thought was pasta sauce but it turned out to be chicken livers so they will be cooked and added to Teddi's meals for the next several days. He will be one happy little dog..

I did not plan ahead and when it came dinner time I did not know what to make. So I grabbed my packet of yellow curry. I had planned on making extra yellow lentils but have not gotten around to doing that. So what to do? Teddi needs the last of the potato with his meals the next several days. While rummaging in the pantry found a can of canned potatoes. It is rare for me to buy something like that since I prefer fresh foods when able. However opened the can and was surprised at how nice they looked so cut some up in a small dice and added them to some of the curry. Worked out well. Had applesauce to cool some of the heat from the curry. I will cook the yellow lentil tomorrow to add to the packet and it will last me for at least 2 or 3 meals. Also will cook rice to go with it. Thinking of saving the rest of the canned potatoes for Teddi.

Really need to get busy and make a menu plan instead of hit and miss.
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet- thanks for thinking of me. I am fine. I live far enough away from the beach (and other major water sources) that flooding is not an issue. I am lucky in how my condo is between others and on the ground floor, so lots of protection. It was very calm here- I did not even loose electricity.

It has been a busy start to the new school year (always is). So busy in fact, that I have eaten cold cereal for dinner a few times the last couple of weeks. I did use these unexpected days out of school to get ahead with the planning and creating materials. I have 18 students, so a full classroom. We have also started with early dismissal on Fridays which should help with having time to get things ready for the upcoming week. We will also be starting the normal daily schedule which helps with getting the students into a routine.

I have been doing well with my grocery spending, but have spent on classroom items. I have been very selective in what I have purchased, and made do with what I already have whenever possible. Unfortunately some things always need to be replaced, or families cannot afford school supplies, so teachers buy them supplies.

Well off to get ready for bed. I am going into the classroom to get it ready for Friday and the return of students. Have a great night.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2Still wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:03 pm Janet- thanks for thinking of me. I am fine. I live far enough away from the beach (and other major water sources) that flooding is not an issue. I am lucky in how my condo is between others and on the ground floor, so lots of protection. It was very calm here- I did not even loose electricity.

It has been a busy start to the new school year (always is). So busy in fact, that I have eaten cold cereal for dinner a few times the last couple of weeks. I did use these unexpected days out of school to get ahead with the planning and creating materials. I have 18 students, so a full classroom. We have also started with early dismissal on Fridays which should help with having time to get things ready for the upcoming week. We will also be starting the normal daily schedule which helps with getting the students into a routine.

I have been doing well with my grocery spending, but have spent on classroom items. I have been very selective in what I have purchased, and made do with what I already have whenever possible. Unfortunately some things always need to be replaced, or families cannot afford school supplies, so teachers buy them supplies.

Well off to get ready for bed. I am going into the classroom to get it ready for Friday and the return of students. Have a great night.
Momof2 so glad to hear from you and that you are safe.. I know it is hard for you to get things organized due to this being a new school year and and a new school to you. Bless you for buying things for those who are unable. Hope things go well for you this coming year.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I also have had to think about using up some things that got pushed back in the pantry. I thought I would add a few artificial bacon bits to the meal last night for color mainly. When I opened the bag, they were not fit to use. A shame. Glad you were successful on your "trip to the pantry".
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:53 am I also have had to think about using up some things that got pushed back in the pantry. I thought I would add a few artificial bacon bits to the meal last night for color mainly. When I opened the bag, they were not fit to use. A shame. Glad you were successful on your "trip to the pantry".
I know it is important to keep things in rotation. The canned potatoes were recently bought just not something I normally buy. I make an inventory from time to time and rotate things too.

Bummer on the bacon bits.. We win some and loose some no matter how hard we try.
Janet Alliesmama