Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:22 am I really relate to "running out of energy". You are in my thoughts. Hubs does absolutely nothing most days beyond getting out of bed, walking to his chair and sitting down. Getting up for meals and personal needs and watching TV. I urge him to take a short walk most nice mornings because he should get a bit of exercise when he is up to it. He must stay extreme keto to avoid weight gain, aches and pains, and diabetic issues.

I am glad you have a way to make a little money. I sure consider every penny saved a worthwhile activity.
I like to keep busy. Even when I am resting and watching TV in the evenings I usually have some mending to do.I like mending. It gives me a sense of accomplishment plus if I can mend something and keep it for extended use it saves money too..I have sever arthritis and also a diabetic. I find getting up and moving around actually helps to relieve some of my pain.

You should run out of energy you do a lot of heavy duty actives outside and then you have your inside food prep and your care giving for your DH. It always amazes me on the amount of outside work that you do with your gardening.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Today was a better day. Yesterday and last night I was in so much pain in my hip and knee I was considering calling my orthopedic Dr today. However today I am somewhat better and the pain is not as severe. Hopefully the long term systemic cortisone shot is going to help.

Today I finished off the potato salad and had a chicken sandwich for lunch. Amazing how a few pickled jalapeno slices can jazz up a bland chicken sandwich. I bought gluten free hamburger buns on sale and cut some of them them in to thirds long ways but then I realized with a serrated knife it was easy to cut the bottom bun in half and the top in half giving me more" bread." Which worked out well for me today since I was not up to going to the grocery store. My aide used up her travel time taking me to the Dr the other day.

I used some of the cream gravy from my chicken and mashed potato dinner the other day and made creamed chicken on toast. I added some canned mushrooms, a little bit of chopped roasted red pepper from Dollar Tree to add flavor. Still needed something so added a little bit of garlic powder ( !/4 tsp) and and a tad (1/8 tsp) of onion powder. That really gave it a nice taste. Still a little too thin so added about 2 oz of cream cheese. That cost .79 cents for 8 oz from Ruler. Their cream cheese is ok for cooking but when it comes to things like eating cream cheese as a spread on a bagel or on toast I prefer philly cream cheese. I will stock up on that when the holiday sales come around. I had enough creamed chicken for dinner tonight and a meal tomorrow. I will use the rest of the cream gravy when I make sausage gravy tomorrow. Also had a serving of leftover seasoned green beans tonight and there is enough for tomorrow. Amazing how just a little bit of bacon scraps and onion add so much flavor to bland canned green beans.
Went over my budget and the bills that are close to being paid off. I am on track and in some areas ahead. What a relief to get two paid off in November.
Tomorrow I will still have to pick up a few grocery items and dog food and treats for Teddi. We are expecting storms late Thursday and also a big drop in temp so I want to have everything we need for a while. I prefer cold weather but at the same time it is more of a challenge when you have to get out in the cold, wet, and wind. Also going to go to Goodwill to see if I can find a couple of cheap baby T-shirts for Teddi. I see people looking at dog clothes at Petco and they cost a fortune. Teddi has the cutest clothes from Goodwill and they cost next to nothing. He has a little red and black lumberman style padded vest. It is a baby vest and people always compliment me on it. It was a couple of dollars at Goodwill. Similar item would be $10.00 or more at Petco.

So things are going well here for now for my black belt frugaling.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Today ran errands and bought the few fill ins that I needed. Teddi has enough dog food for a couple of weeks. They were out if his dog treats at Dollar Tree. So bought another brand on a trial basis and he has one and a half bags of his brand left.

I have had a hard time with my eyeliner makeup that requires it to be sharpened with a sharpener. I have tried many different styles of sharpeners and they all tend to leave a sharp point with a bit of wood sticking up so not a good thing. I even put them in the freezer like one company recommended. They are all good quality eyeliners but decided to chuck them and try something new. Found a new style at Dollar tree that you just have to twist it to advance it and it is smudge proof. Hope it works well. It will save me time and money if it works. Bought some food items at Dollar Tree.

Went to the bank and cashed in my saved coins from my slush fund. I have $11.36 cents from my slush fund saved over the last several months. Woo hoo. So now I will try to coast for as long as I can with the foods I have and use the slush fund money to fill in where needed for food items.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Evening update: The rain arrived earlier in the day and it continues now off and on. The cold front will be moving in later with temps down to 49 F by morning.. I love cold weather! The rain is gently making a soft pitter patter noise on my bedroom window and I love hearing it.
Breakfast was cottage cheese and some hydrated peaches and day old coffee. Lunch was late due to shopping. I was too tired to make anything. Had cheese and sliced ham on Stax potato chips. Dinner was the last of my store bought hamburger bun "bread". I toasted it and ate the leftover creamed chicken on toast. I added a little bit more chicken to it. I was not in the mood for green beans so the last of the seasoned green beans and juice went in to the freezer for later when I make soup. Dessert is a cup of tea with milk and a tad of sugar.
I did not make it to Goodwill to look for T-shirts for Teddi but I will go next week. I am thinking I may even have some of my donations ready by then. So hopefully will drop them off too.

Right new I feel blessed to have a new roof on my house while listening to the rain drops fall. I am drinking a lovely cup of tea and had a nice dinner. Teddi is all snuggled down on my bed in his blanket nest and all is right in our world. Wish other people around the world could also enjoy the same things. Keeping them in my thoughts and prayers.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree with you. We are so lucky to have a good roof and a safe place to live.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

We have had rain off and on all day. The cold weather did not arrive this morning but it is slowing creeping in. Maybe down to the 40's by later today. I am enjoying the cold, dark, rainy day. Unlike a lot of people I thrive in this kind of weather. Sun and heat make me feel down..My brother and one of my nieces is the same way. I know we are weird!.. lol

I baked my spaghetti squash and have shredded it. Even with an electric knife it is hard to cut open. I think next time I might try softening it in the microwave for a few minutes. You have to be careful to punch holes in it to prevent it from blowing up.

I was tired from the morning activity so I decided to use some of the squash with a little bit of butter, Parmesan cheese, and some finely grated mozzarella cheese. Added salt and freshly ground black pepper. I did have to nuke it to melt the cheese. It was quick and yummy. I have the seeds drying out. You are suppose to be able to use them like pumpkin seeds. Later this afternoon I will make the pasta sauce.

I put the remainder of my rotisserie chicken in a crock pot and after it warmed up I removed the meat from the bones. I threw the skin and bones back in and will them cook for 24 hours to make bone broth. There is a lot more chicken than I had realized so will need to come up with some menu ideas.

Addendum: Forgot to mention I made guacamole with a seasoning packet. I bought the packet on sale a long time ago and just decided to use it up. Did not like the seasoning. It was too spicy and not enough flavor. I prefer adding more lime taste to mine with True Lime packets. Oh well it was on sale for .59 cents and now I know to stick with my own homemade recipe. My aide has been buying it and raving about the taste. We all have different taste buds so what works for me may not work for her. I am going to cool it down with a little bit of sour cream and add some lime flavor with at least one lime packet.

I am planning on making taco meat tonight. I have everything I need to make them for dinner tomorrow night. I will cook the ground chuck in the same pan and then divide what I need for the spaghetti sauce and tacos.
Janet Alliesmama