Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Monday turned out to be a bust. I basically was a couch potato. Just no energy. Combination of wanting to do too much and over did things on Saturday and my ALS is worse in the summer months. I did not make my hot dogs wrapped in bacon nor my tuna fish salad. I did manage to make a box of Kraft mac and cheese. Today I am feeling better so will make my tuna fish salad and have thawed out some cauliflower to make faux potato salad. Also will be making the bacon wrapped hot dogs and the baked beans. I finished off the last of my sausage gravy and will be making a new batch today or tomorrow. I am going to pay more attention to how many servings I get from it.

I had my aide pick up a rotisserie chicken yesterday. I had $3.00 from a survey so it came to $3.46. Also she picked up 3 lbs of onions for each of us. It was BOGO. She said we basically each saved .50 cents compared to buying them separately on our own. I had to buy milk which was $1.19 a bit more than I usually pay. Ruler was .98 cents. It cost more but at least at this store you do get reward points. Also realized their half and half is almost the same price as Ruler so will be buying it more there due to receiving rewards points. Ruler is in another town but still on my circuit of going from my house in to town. It just depends on which road I take from my house however the chain store is closer to everything else. Also I transferred all of my medicine to this chain store. It is closer to my home and easier for me to get to on my own using back/country roads.

Teddi will most likely be eating most of the chicken. It is still cheaper than his dog food. I plan adding rice and sneak some green beans and cooked carrots in to it. I striped the chicken meat from the bone yesterday while it was still warm. Makes it easier for me to remove what I need from the container in the fridge. Just grab some meat, weight it, and go on with whatever I plan to make with it. I I threw all of the skin and bones in to the crock pot and let them cook overnight. The house smelled so good this morning. I found a recipe that uses cabbage and kielbasa for a soup but I will use some of the hot dogs in place of the kielbasa. The cabbage needed to be used soon also the hot dogs. So a frugal use it up soup that will give me more meals using a few ingredients.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I have the chicken broth in the fridge but it is just too hot to even think of eating soup. I may just freeze it to use in cooler weather. Eating chicken and just picking at other things. I have the faux potato salad and tuna fish salad but just not interested in eating it. I have been doing a lot of Fall housekeeping and I get tired easily and just like to rest on the couch with something to drink.

Today I went to a local fabric store to order bobbins for my sewing machine. They were $6.00 each. I bought 3. Yikes! I have had the machine for years but never did use it due to being so sick. Doing better now and thinking of doing a lot of crafting this winter. I already have a lot of fabric but did buy some fabric that you use to make hot pads or oven mitts. Something to play around with. Also found a table top ironing board. I have been wanting one for years. This will come in handy this winter when I am camping out in my bedroom doing my sewing and crafting.

Tomorrow my aide and I are going to treat ourselves to a lunch out. We like to go to a local restaurant for fish. It has been a long time since we were last there and they give you so much you almost have enough for a second meal. It is nice to treat yourself once in a while.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Have a good time getting out and eating out.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:24 am Have a good time getting out and eating out.
Thank you.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I had a good day today. My aide and I went to lunch. We had cat fish sandwiches with a ton of fries and the best cream of broccoli soup ever. I ate my fish and fries since they never taste as good when you warm them up later.I ate some of the soup. I brought home a big slice of rye bread from my sandwich and a cup of leftover soup. I was stuffed so really did not want to eat dinner but had to due to medicine. I used the rye bread to make half of a grilled cheese and ate cup of soup and added a dill pickle from Dollar Tree and feel very satisfied that I did get two meals from the one meal. Although I have been paying the piper due to the gluten. I am itching and have had to take generic benadryl twice and generic Tylenol twice. You do the crime you have to do the time. Thank goodness I do not have celaic disease(?SP). I am gluten intolerant.

My friend from Texas came for a visit. She is the mother of the woman who gave me Teddi. She is Teddi's Nana. He was happy to see her and they played some but whenever they stopped playing he would run over and jump in my lap and give me puppy dog kisses and put his head on my shoulder or chest as if to say.. I want to stay here..She said she would love to have him back but she knows he is in the best possible place that he can be. Thank goodness she feels that way.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I really enjoyed the cream of broccoli soup yesterday. So last night I went on line to find a recipe. I had opened a can of evaporated milk the other day when I was out of milk and half and half. I used very little in my coffee so I looked for a recipe that would use evaporated milk. The recipe that I found will use up the evap milk as well as 3 cups of the chicken broth that I made the other day. Which is good since my freezer is so full it cannot accommodate much more. Also one of the people who made the recipe said she did not have evaporated milk and she used cream cheese. That sounds like a good idea if I need to add a little bit more creaminess to it. Today I am going to make keto sausage gravy. It uses a cup of chicken broth so the broth from the last chicken will be completely used up. I need to do something with the hot dogs so I am going to turn the remainder in to a sandwich filling. There is a recipe for a bologna sandwich filling that includes using cheese. To me bologna and hot dogs have a similar taste but just in a different form. So that will use up the last of the hot dogs.
Janet Alliesmama