Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by SandiSAHM »

LOVE spaghetti squash. It's somewhat more 'moist' than regular or GF pasta, though, with less of that 'al dente' effect, and my kids won't eat it, and DH doesn't prefer it.

Seriously, these people and their pickiness.

So when we have it I process it and freeze it in individual size servings. Thaw it, nuke it, add sauce, and instant (near-instant) meal for 1. Awesome when we do pasta or pizza and have leftover sauce/toppings.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:13 am LOVE spaghetti squash. It's somewhat more 'moist' than regular or GF pasta, though, with less of that 'al dente' effect, and my kids won't eat it, and DH doesn't prefer it.

Seriously, these people and their pickiness.

So when we have it I process it and freeze it in individual size servings. Thaw it, nuke it, add sauce, and instant (near-instant) meal for 1. Awesome when we do pasta or pizza and have leftover sauce/toppings.
I freeze mine in portion size as well.. Bummer on the picky people in your family. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I used some some leftover spaghetti squash to make a gf pizza crust. I used a tea towel to squeeze more of the water out of it then added an egg, Parmesan cheese and some pizza spices and then baked it for 10 min to make it a bit drier before putting on my sauce, cheese, and toppings. It turned out pretty good for an impromptu pizza. Of course it will never pass for a lovely flour pizza crust but still it was tasty. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:19 am I freeze mine in portion size as well.. Bummer on the picky people in your family. Janet Alliesmama
Love the picky people :D

I'm empathetic to a point. Looking back, I wasn't the easiest kid to feed. But wow for a while in adulthood I was the definition of "omnivore." As a gluten-free lowish carb vegan-leaning vegetarian :lol: in various forms since 1992, I'm right back to picky.

Whats really wild is that as you age, your perception of tastes change. There are things I used to eat that, even within my own restricted 'allowed' things, I won't touch them now. My 'sweet' receptors are out of whack. Started when I had DS at 39 and now at 53, bleh, what the hey, chocolate used to be yummy mostly across the board. Now? Some of it is okay, but the rest...

DH says its because Hershey moved a lot of their volume production out of PA.

But, that's okay, didn't need those calories anyway ;)
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

It has been a frugal, no spend day, following a frugal, no spend weekend - so happy about that.

I have two codes for free Redbox videos - one for providing them with my email address and one from Kellogg's Family Rewards. I will sure enjoy those. I'm glad Kellogg's Family Rewards has something I can use - I haven't been so happy with the rewards they offer.

Supper was leftover white bean stew and a slice of homemade tomato/basil bread (just sub tomato juice for the milk in homemade bread recipe and add some dried basil to the batter).

I'm off to browse this site and a couple others before I pack up and walk home. All this snow sure is pretty!
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Happy birthday Janet. I hope you enjoyed your day.

Today I mailed another pkg. to RM, so a little money out for that. Tomorrow I have to get gas-I did not fill up over the weekend. After that, no money out for a while. The weather is predicted to be yuck and cold this weekend, so other than tutoring on Saturday, and church on Sunday, I will stay home and clean. I have been lazy this week and not done anything other than take care of the animals, laundry, making the bed each morning, trash, and meals along with meal clean-up.

I froze the cooked tofu I was going to use to make Pad Thai- too many veggies and food already cooked that needs using. Tomorrow I should finish off the Loaded Sweet Potatoes and the Breakfast Bowls I cooked for breakfast and lunches this week. Tonight I finished off the plantains and the eggnog. So far no food waste this week and trying hard to keep it that way.

Well off to take care of the animals and then off to bed.