Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
BevMoore

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by BevMoore »

Janet, I was near our Big Lots the other day so went in to check out some of the Indian food you have talked about. I read the ingredient lists and these entrees are loaded with sodium. Something to think about. In my case I am so sensitive to sodium that it can cause me to gain 5 pounds in one day if I eat anything with sodium. I seem to be hypersensitive to it so I try to be careful.

Bev
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

BevMoore wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:13 am Janet, I was near our Big Lots the other day so went in to check out some of the Indian food you have talked about. I read the ingredient lists and these entrees are loaded with sodium. Something to think about. In my case I am so sensitive to sodium that it can cause me to gain 5 pounds in one day if I eat anything with sodium. I seem to be hypersensitive to it so I try to be careful.

Bev
Thanks Bev. I just look at the carbs....lol. I really do not use them that often just like to have on hand for days where I get too tired to do anything.It is hard for me to find something that is heat and eat due to being on a gluten free diet.
Janet Alliesmama
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Janet,
It is hard. Along with the sodium I also have to watch the carbs, sugars and fats. I cannot find much in the way of convenience foods that is in any way healthy. It's better to cook your own and freeze some for later but I know what you mean. Cooking is not one of my favorite pastimes so it's nice to have something you can pop in the microwave. I keep looking for things my body can handle.

Bev
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I made two purchases yesterday on QVC. Although I am trying not to buy unnecessary items except for food and necessary household things like TP, cleaning supplies, etc. I feel these are important for the long haul. One is a roto saw that can cut through about 6 different types of things ie wood, metal pipes, PVC, plexi glass etc. I am an older, disabled, single women living in a rural area and have no one to rely on to do things for me around the house. I want to build cages for my veggie garden and make shelving etc to just name a few things. This is light weight and powerful so will be able to zip through a lot of things that need to be done here. Also bought a Dyna Trap for killing bugs in my area. We have been in flood mode since March with no end in sight. The flooding is massive and when the water does recede the mosquitoes are going to be massive. Last night on the local news they were talking about how bad it is already and that they can fly 25 miles away from the flood area. I live about 12 miles from the flood waters and we have ponds and lakes. Most of my neighbors have man made ponds or lakes. The mosquitoes are annoying and do not carry any disease that will affect humans but they do carry heart worm disease. Anyway this Dyna trap is guaranteed to cover a half acre. It will not affect bees or butterflies but other bugs will be drawn to it. So I bought one to protect Teddi and to save my sanity while working outside this summer. They have one that cost more that will cover an acre. If this one is as effective as they say maybe next year I will buy one to use in the area behind my house. Everything was offered on flex pay so made it affordable using my debit card and no interest charges. Although planting a garden on my deck this spring/summer is a bust due to the cold and rain I am planning on planting a Fall garden. I have not seen my resident squirrel, Dennis the Menace, on my deck this spring/ summer since there is nothing of interest to him. However I am sure once he sees things growing he will try to make my deck a daily stop on his route.
Janet Alliesmama
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Janet, sometimes we spend money to save money in the end. Sounds like your purchases are things that will save you money eventually, or at the least give you the freedom to do some things to make life enjoyable and peace of mind regarding Teddi.

I love shopping at thrift stores. When I feel like experiencing some retail therapy, I go to my favorite thrift store. Do I need anything else at this time- no. On Monday I bought two skillets. Could I live without them? Sure, but I certainly have enjoyed using them a few times this week. I paid $3.00 for one and $2.00 for the other. They are heavier, which I like my cookware to be, and the same skillets if I bought them new on Amazon sell for $90.00 and $62.00- I always look up my purchases when possible to see if I got a good deal or not. I think I got an outstanding deal on them.

No money out since my retail therapy on Monday. I have not even left home since then- a perk of summer vacation. I did go to the grocery store for a couple of things- milk, eggs, bread, before my thrift store adventure Monday.

I have used up the last of the sandwich meat, the plantains, a head of cabbage, most of a bag of baby carrots, a pkg. of frozen butter beans, a pkg. of cornmeal, the opened container of milk, the rest of the unsweetened soy milk, and some odd and end left-overs from last week/week-end.

I am waiting on my pizza dough to finish rising, and then I will use the last of the fresh tomatoes, part of a red onion, and some goat cheese to make a pizza. I will use the regular oven since I like to bake my pizza on a stone (my round stone I picked up at a thrift store for $2.99) and the stone does not fit in my small oven. I also like to use a higher temperature for my pizzas.

I am in the process of taking everything out of cabinets and off bookshelves and wiping everything down, dusting everything, and putting everything back, while also getting rid of things I just do not want or use. I donate those to my favorite thrift store for someone else to hopefully enjoy. I am also organizing my classroom items, so they are ready to go back into my classroom late next month.
Well, off to take care of my pizza.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2.. I think you are right about sometimes we spend money to save money.

Glad you are finding things at thrift stores. I do go to them but have been trying to use what I have and I have a lot of things to work with so no need to bring more stuff in to the house.

A friend of mine was an antique dealer and he would go to garage sales and thrift stores and he said it was amazing sometimes what you can find that people thing is of no value. He once bought a string of pearls at a yard sale for .35 cents. He said he thought they were cultured pearls but when he took them to have them restrung they were real and worth a whole lot more. It is fun to look and you never know what little treasure you might find or something that adds to your home decor.

I love my heavier cast iron skillets and have some dutch ovens as well. Yum on the pizza dough. I miss being able to use gluten flour for certain things and pizza dough is one of them.

It is nice to have the time to do the organizing and cleaning that you are doing. When I was still working I would take a Friday and a Monday off to have a four day week-end to do my Fall and Spring cleaning. Of course with your type of work that is not an option.

Good to see you posting. Looking forward to more updates.
Janet Alliesmama